Three mile lifetime ride - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-18-2013, 10:51 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Three mile lifetime ride

Ultimately, a sad deal: http://trib.com/news/local/casper/ca...d30170b7b.html

This is one of those deals where the headline sounds like an eye-roller, and then you're reminded of the real people involved. My heart goes out to his family....

Someday is not a day of the week.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-18-2013, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerpawed View Post
Ultimately, a sad deal: http://trib.com/news/local/casper/ca...d30170b7b.html

This is one of those deals where the headline sounds like an eye-roller, and then you're reminded of the real people involved. My heart goes out to his family....
The wife had a sinking feeling. Wonder if he even had his permit yet? Not everyone is cut out for motorcycling. You have to have some natural skill or your risks are far greater.

Very sad all around.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-18-2013, 05:02 PM

I read this article a day or two ago and my first thought was how much experience this man might have had after 44 years of wanting a Harley-Davidson...
I passed through Lander Wyoming last July on my long trip and looked it up on Google Maps after seeing this article because I specifically recalled the sweeping right-hander just north of town on Hwy 279. It's a beautiful road and nothing but excessive speed and/or inexperience going around that curve could have been at fault.
The BS of "He died doing what he loved." just doesn't cut it this time.

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-18-2013, 07:17 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Sad indeed, and more than likely an unnecessary tragedy. First motorcycle, but no mention of any manner of formal training. Makes a person wonder just what the dealership had in mind selling a large, heavy motorcycle to a middle aged man who was buying his first motorcycle.

Having a bucket list and checking off items is all well and good, but the items should be somewhat reasonable. My bucket list doesn't include piloting the X-15, for example, though it would be one hell of a rush - while it lasted.

Say goodnight Gracie

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-18-2013, 07:28 PM

Garage
One of the scariest events riding my Versys was the day I brought it home. I had essentially no experience (at least none in recent decades) on a motorcycle except for the MSF beginners course a month before. Of course, they talk about counter-steering in the MSF course, but it is hard to experience it on the little 250s provided while riding at slow speeds.

On my way up the "main hill road" I approached a right-hand curve. I did not take a good line and was concerned about oncoming vehicles. So I tried "turning" to the right, but I was going fast enough that the handlebars did not move the way I wanted them to. Nowadays I would just press out on the right bar and lean farther into the turn, but there were a few moments that first day that I thought I was going to go head-on into a car.

I was not going excessively fast by most measures. For example I was riding below the speed limit. Yet I was clearly riding past my abilities at the time.

A co-worker of my wife just died on a motorcycle. I count my blessing that I got to ride a couple of hundred miles today (and for work). I need to remember to always work on my riding skills since I do not know when I will need all of them to stay out of danger.

When it comes to havoc, no one wreaks like me! - Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz

I will never be good and that's not bad. - Ban-Anon
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-18-2013, 07:59 PM
MTS

Very Sad!

We have all had our scary times! I remember one with gust of wind. Mountain micro burst! Damn!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-18-2013, 09:02 PM

Gotta take the course....this is a prime example why.

My neighbour bought a harley and is teaching himself to ride...I've told him several times and he just doesn't want to spend the $750...fool.

Lovin every minute of it!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-18-2013, 09:48 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avande View Post
Gotta take the course....this is a prime example why.

My neighbour bought a harley and is teaching himself to ride...I've told him several times and he just doesn't want to spend the $750...fool.
Spent, what? $15000 - $20000 on the bike and won't shell out $750 to learn to ride it.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-19-2013, 12:38 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickAus View Post
Spent, what? $15000 - $20000 on the bike and won't shell out $750 to learn to ride it.
The least expensive HD not counting the Sportster(no self respecting REAL Harley Rider would touch one of those) is the Street Bob at $13k. It can be yours for $200 a month, for 72 short months!

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-19-2013, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWKSHOT99 View Post
The least expensive HD not counting the Sportster(no self respecting REAL Harley Rider would touch one of those) is the Street Bob at $13k. It can be yours for $200 a month, for 72 short months!
... and the months come due once a week, or so it seems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode