America's cup - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-13-2013, 10:48 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
America's cup

Anyone watching the America's cup. 70 foot monsters, doing 40 plus knots in 20 knot wind, sailing on one foil in the water, right on the edge of control and over powering. Amazing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-14-2013, 05:02 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Some of the races so far only had one boat in the race!
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-14-2013, 06:29 PM

Garage
At this point, the engineering is so extreme in this sport that just finishing a race is an accomplishment. I think that this year should induce the America's Cup to figure out a better way - after a life has been lost and barely any teams are racing.

When it comes to havoc, no one wreaks like me! - Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz

I will never be good and that's not bad. - Ban-Anon
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-14-2013, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitourer View Post
Anyone watching the America's cup. 70 foot monsters, doing 40 plus knots in 20 knot wind, sailing on one foil in the water, right on the edge of control and over powering. Amazing.

I've been reading highlights. Where are you watching this? Links please.

Last edited by versys_rider; 07-14-2013 at 07:42 PM.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-14-2013, 10:34 PM Thread Starter

I think team Oracle's rule/boat changes were a little over the top. They have stopped alot of other teams competing, due to extremes/costs etc. I read somewhere that if the cup comes back to New Zealand, monohulls with wing masts might be the order of the day.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-15-2013, 12:59 PM

I follow it loosely. =P
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-16-2013, 07:38 PM

I like when they were sailing the 12 meter boats. I think it was a bit more sailors and less engineering then as the rules were laid down in black and white in a book.

Or was that look THEN leap?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 650 Versys
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-16-2013, 09:43 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
I say the next cup should be battled out in identical "strict one design" Optimist class boats. it would keep costs down. Even countries like Liberia, Tajikistan, and others could field teams. If you don't know what an optimist class one design sail boat is here is a picture......

post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-16-2013, 11:24 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
I say the next cup should be battled out in identical "strict one design" Optimist class boats. it would keep costs down. Even countries like Liberia, Tajikistan, and others could field teams. If you don't know what an optimist class one design sail boat is here is a picture......

Lets at least go with 16' Hobies if it is a world level race!

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-16-2013, 11:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post

There would be still "cheatin" going on and court cases. One of the "Low lights" of America's cup.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-16-2013, 11:53 PM

Good ole Murica! Capitalist greed and sport!
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-29-2013, 03:50 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
24 knots on the upwind leg! 37.8 knots/55 MPH/91.6 KmH in a sailboat weighing 7 tons on the downwind leg.

"The wing and foils weigh more than the boat" - quote from commentator

Last edited by twowheels; 08-29-2013 at 03:54 PM.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-29-2013, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time View Post
I like when they were sailing the 12 meter boats. I think it was a bit more sailors and less engineering then as the rules were laid down in black and white in a book.
+1 When Dennis Connor's team entered a catamaran many years ago, I thought that violated the spirit of the event and I don't think it's gotten better since. The boats have gotten faster and more advanced, but I'm not sure the racing has improved.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-29-2013, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
+1 When Dennis Connor's team entered a catamaran many years ago, I thought that violated the spirit of the event and I don't think it's gotten better since. The boats have gotten faster and more advanced, but I'm not sure the racing has improved.
Don't blame Dennis. He was the skipper on a boat that was built to answer the monster the Aussy's built to challenge for the cup outside the normal round robin of sail offs.

Sadly the days of the 12m boats is gone now it's a tech race just like F1 and NASCAR.

One more reason I like SCCA racing. Run what ya brung and if you need a helping hand the guy next to you will likely pitch in off track with all he can. Of course he'll be trying to beat you ON the track.

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-02-2013, 09:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time View Post
Don't blame Dennis. He was the skipper on a boat that was built to answer the monster the Aussy's built to challenge for the cup outside the normal round robin of sail offs.

Sadly the days of the 12m boats is gone now it's a tech race just like F1 and NASCAR.

One more reason I like SCCA racing. Run what ya brung and if you need a helping hand the guy next to you will likely pitch in off track with all he can. Of course he'll be trying to beat you ON the track.
It was New Zealand that built that monster 90 ft monohull boat. The match was a no contest but that monster monohull was still fast.
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-03-2013, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitourer View Post
The match was a no contest...
That was the point I was getting at...where it's no contest, it's not a race.

I recall a story that pitted a small plane against a car in a race over some distance (400 miles, I think it was). There were two magazine staffs involved (something like Car & Driver and Pilot) and both magazines were owned by the same media company so there was an extra level of rivalry built in. The idea was to race door to door between two addresses (it may have been the locations of their two editorial offices) with one team driving the whole way and the other driving to the airport, filing a flight plan, flying to another airport, and taking a taxi to the second address.

So anyway, the story (in Car & Driver) ended up describing the concept and the challenge and the race rules, then went on to describe how the car guys cheated in order to win by doing things like disconnecting the battery cable in the pilot's car so his departure would be delayed until he figured out the problem. I wrote to the author and asked why they didn't stage a fair race and determine a legitimate winner. He wrote back and said I missed the point. I wrote back and said everything from the magazine cover to the article title to the explanation of the race rules in the story indicated a fair race -- and then the car guys cheated. So what was the point exactly?

One reason I enjoyed racing (crewing) Hobie Cats was each boat was in the same class -- 14 or 16 or 18 or 21, etc. -- with only minor modifications allowed. The race pitted sailors against each other.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-04-2013, 08:38 AM
Banned

post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-05-2013, 05:11 AM Thread Starter

Yep. I wonder how far up the command chain the cheating was authorized.I see the junior Americas cup, team New Zealand 1 and 2. The cup itself starts this Sunday morn, NZ time. We shall see which boat is faster. Oracle looks very sleek and fast and team NZ very clinical. The first race will tell all. Go team New Zealand.
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-05-2013, 09:18 AM
Banned

Wink

I will be cheering on the team NZ because;
A/ I don't like cheats!
B/ I support The Colonies!!!

Last edited by Britmick; 09-07-2013 at 04:39 PM.
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-07-2013, 04:40 PM
Banned

Saturday afternoon 7th Sept

Kiwi's + 2

USA - 2

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode