Parking - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-24-2009, 04:21 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Parking

Just curious what most people think about parking their bikes at grocery stores, malls, etc. I notice a lot of bikes parked on the sidewalks by the front doors but I usually go find a regular parking spot. I tried parking at the front walk of a Walmart once but the nice old lady in the golf cart with flashing lights scolded me.
Has anyone had any problems with doing this?

Cheers, John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-24-2009, 04:38 PM

Sometimes, but I got a warning ticket once in front of Best Buy. Our local theater has a nice, big side walk area right in front where bikes park all the time. If there is an area for bikes & it's fairly close to the place I'm visiting, I'll park there, otherwise, I'll park in a regular spot. It all depends...

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-24-2009, 09:00 PM

I have been asked not to park in front of a particular store. Apparently they think motorcycles tarnish their image... it's a picture frame store for crying out loud. Anyway, I will park in front of malls, shopping centers, etc. so long as it doesn't impede pedestrian traffic.

2007 Versys Black, V35 Bags, H&B Bars, Skidmarx Hugger.Fender Ex., Avon Distanzia, Braided Lines, Hella 65W bulbs Arrow Can, DNA Air filter, GIVI tall screen (for winter), PCIII, Baldwin Saddle. **SOLD**

2011 KTM SM-T. Crash bars, E55 Top Box, Fender extender front and rear.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-24-2009, 09:15 PM

I saw somthing on AMA's website or in their news letter about legislation being introduced in some municipaities that mandate that there be X amount of motorcyle spaces for every X of cars or some formula like that. Simular to handicap spaces.

In my area a certain town, near the beach with enforced parking meters, they set asaide about 3-6 spaces (about 2-3 car lengths of space) just for motocyles on the corners of the blocks for about 2 miles.

08 Versys (Red)
Two Brothers Slip-On V.A.L.E. Exhaust
Two Brothers Juice Box
Arrow Headers
Motowerk Lowering kit w/Flatfoot
SW-MOTECH Crashbars/Engine Guards w/Hwy Pegs
SW-MOTECH mirror wideners
Rear Spool Sliders

~Comming soon~
Front Axel Sliders
Red LED Body Kit

1980 Kawi KZ1000 LTD
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 07:34 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to Steve08
I have been known to park WAY up front at the Home Depot, Lowes, and sometimes the cinema. As long as it's a huge chunk of concrete, and there really isn't any chance of my bike getting pushed over (AKA - it's not in the way) I will continue this practice. I do it much less with the Road King, simply because it's quite wide for it's length.

- S

- Steve

08 VerSys - Last Bike Standing
96 Road King - Gone!
75 R60/6 - Gone!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 09:27 AM

Not too picky

I often park out in the lots, but try to find a spot between two nice cars - never next to the methmobiles. Of course, you never know who will be coming or going while you're in the store. It's illegal to park in the fire lane directly in front of the store, with the exception of those who are loading or unloading passengers or purchases. Often, the lots will have spots that are too small for cars, so they don't mark them for parking. I often park there and have never had a complaint about it. Amazingly, for a place that is a major destination for riders from around the world, I can only think of one tourist spot near here that has specifically designated parking for motorcycles - Chimney Rock State Park. They have a great and secure parking area for bikes right in front of the store at the bottom of the cliffs. I don't mind leaving my gear on the bike there, 'cause there will always be somebody nearby to keep an eye on the bikes.
The grocery store that I go to has a wide concrete veranda in front with tables and newspaper racks that is sometimes used by the likkercycle crowd for parking, but so far, I haven't parked there.
One thing that I always try to look out for is runaway grocery buggies - our local Wally World has a sloping parking lot, and it's not uncommon to see a buggy careening across the lot on a windy day. Anytime I go there, I park at the top of the lot, even if it means having to walk further to reach the store. I've seen some big dents inflicted on some of the unlucky shopper's cars from the wind-blown buggies.
If I lived in a city or a place with a rep for crime, I'd probably be a lot more cautious.

Hey, this is totally off-topic, but while I'm typing this, I'm watching a show about Cambodia on HDNetwork. They were showing a young couple taking a jungle tour on the back of an elephant - and the guide, during the entire ride, was texting on his cell phone. Dang, it's like a crack habit!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 09:53 AM

I almost always park in a regular parking spot but I I'm picky about it. I usually go for a spot away from cars and near some kind of curb or sidewalk. If I can't find a spot like that I'll settle for a light pole. I think having something solid and not mobile near the bike is a bit of a safety zone. Most people won't drive over curbs, onto sidewalks or into light poles so if my bike is next to them I think it a bit safer. If I can see my bike from inside the store that's even better.

The Best Buy near me has a small section that will fit two bikes at the front of the store. It's not marked as motorcycle only but the painted lines could only be interpreted as motorcycle spaces. Well every time I ride my bike to this Best Buy some tool parks their car in space. Once in a while I see a SUV crammed in there. I hope they smash their doors on the concrete planters on each side.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"The things you own end up owning you." - Tyler Durden

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 10:23 AM

I don't usually park on the walk or in a fire zone. I just think it makes us look bad. But sometimes there are triangle shaped areas that have been striped across because they're too small for a car and I see no problem parking in those spots.

Jeff in Illinois
07 Bandit
03 KLR
82 Rokon
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 11:41 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to Steve08
I'm with you on parking next to the parking lot islands. That's a must! I don't like parking the V out in the open in a single spot or between 2 cars because I've watched idiots zoom into those spots and smash into small bikes like ours. I've seen it happen probably 6 or 8 times over the years. It ain't pretty. And when the cops show up - "I couldnt' see it." Same old BS. I do not park in fire lanes at the store doors. There is usually a lot of extra cement up front to put a small bike in places like the Home Depot, Lowes, Kmart, etc, and I have not been asked to relocate. Just gotta use a little common sense as the where you drop that sidestand.

- Steve

08 VerSys - Last Bike Standing
96 Road King - Gone!
75 R60/6 - Gone!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 12:17 PM

I usually just find the spot farthest away from everyone that I can. I would rather walk than have someone hit it. I also park at the front of the space so people hopefully can see it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode