Is this stupid or what??!! - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-08-2009, 06:09 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Is this stupid or what??!!

Okay, so I'm driving down the busiest street in the city today and what do I see? Some freakin' idiot on a cruiser with a kid on the bike. This little girl (I'm assuming she's a girl because she's wearing a pink jacket...) looks all of three years old. And she's riding on the front of the seat holding onto the tank. What's this guy's excuse? Does he have some kind of brain shrinking disease that has made his cranium void of grey matter? Has he smoked so much crack that his brain is simply honeycomb? Or was he just born stupid and continues to be stupid?

I'm so pi$$ed off right now.

The streets around here are still covered in winter debris. I've told my girlfriend I won't take her on the bike until all the loose sand, gravel and clutter is gone. Yet here's some bozo taking his little girl for a ride. Not that you should carry a kid on a bike like this under any conditions.

Isn't there a law against this? Or should we enact a law that allows us to throw stupid people in stupid jails for sheer stupidity?

Okay, I think I've calmed down now...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-08-2009, 06:36 PM

Let alone the conditions...I would think it's illegal to carry forward like that. That is really dumb. Kid has to sit behind you, and be able to touch the foot pegs.

2007 Versys Black, V35 Bags, H&B Bars, Skidmarx Hugger.Fender Ex., Avon Distanzia, Braided Lines, Hella 65W bulbs Arrow Can, DNA Air filter, GIVI tall screen (for winter), PCIII, Baldwin Saddle. **SOLD**

2011 KTM SM-T. Crash bars, E55 Top Box, Fender extender front and rear.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-08-2009, 06:53 PM

Look CLOSE between this couple....

Last edited by Zammy; 05-03-2013 at 05:12 AM.
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-08-2009, 09:35 PM

Unhappy

My bro showed me this. We called it "Father of the Year".
Scenario: A dad left his young daughter on a scooter unattended. She took it for a spin. I pray and hope she was A-OK.

http://www.4shared.com/file/97530038.../image001.html

Assumption is the Mother of All Fcukups.
Assume makes an Ass out of u and Me.

Last edited by stlee29; 04-08-2009 at 09:46 PM.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-08-2009, 09:42 PM

He didn't seem to be in much of a hurry to help her either....

post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-08-2009, 10:34 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Wow. Looks like she held on pretty good though, and maybe remained unharmed on the scoot.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-09-2009, 11:36 AM

We have enough laws in this country, thanks.

Ever see pictures of entire families riding a Vespa in post-war Italy. How about the far east today. Is it wise? Have you ever thought that those drivers in their cars may think the same about you on your bike? That all motorcycles should be made illegal?

Discuss...

Quote:
Originally Posted by charly View Post
Okay, so I'm driving down the busiest street in the city today and what do I see? Some freakin' idiot on a cruiser with a kid on the bike. This little girl (I'm assuming she's a girl because she's wearing a pink jacket...) looks all of three years old. And she's riding on the front of the seat holding onto the tank. What's this guy's excuse? Does he have some kind of brain shrinking disease that has made his cranium void of grey matter? Has he smoked so much crack that his brain is simply honeycomb? Or was he just born stupid and continues to be stupid?

I'm so pi$$ed off right now.

The streets around here are still covered in winter debris. I've told my girlfriend I won't take her on the bike until all the loose sand, gravel and clutter is gone. Yet here's some bozo taking his little girl for a ride. Not that you should carry a kid on a bike like this under any conditions.

Isn't there a law against this? Or should we enact a law that allows us to throw stupid people in stupid jails for sheer stupidity?

Okay, I think I've calmed down now...
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-09-2009, 12:06 PM Thread Starter

As North Americans we live in a society that is sometimes paranoid about safety issues. I work in an industry where safety is being mandated by law. It doesn't always work. You can't mandate common sense.

What really bothered me about this guy was that he was risking the well being of a child for no reason. He didn't have to have her on his motorcycle.

I have spent a lot of time in Central America and it's not unusual to see three people on a dirt bike. Often people will ride with their helmets dangling from the handle bars. I assume the law is to possess a helmet but not actually wear it. I'm not saying it's right but it's a different culture. Here in North America, however, to endanger the life of a child on a bike is simply inexcusable.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-09-2009, 02:53 PM

I tend to think that children don't belong on the back of motorcycles, period (or for that matter, on the tank ). Even if you are doing everything as safely as possible, you are putting that child's life at risk, and they don't have the capacity to calculate risk and make an informed decision for themselves.

I personally will never carry a child as a passenger as I can't even begin to imagine the guilt I would feel if something were to happen (my fault or not).
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-09-2009, 03:29 PM

I've rode my four kids after they were 10 with no problems. They all have been in car wrecks, none on bikes."ATGATT" from day one and they also have their own dirt bikes. Two of them ride with me on the sidecar rig for hundreds of miles a day and love it. My 15 year old has a street bike, but he has to take the MSF course before he can take it on the road. I would feel bad if they got hurt on a bike or in a car but if you teach them the proper things to do they should be fine.

81 Honda CB750F with Jupiter sidecar, 82 Honda CB750F, 86 Yamaha Radian, 87 BMW K100RS, 2002 Honda XR 200R, 2007 Suzuki Bandit 1250, 2009 Green Versys, 2010 Kawasaki Vukcan 900 Custom
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-09-2009, 07:56 PM

Agreed with you Ladies/ Gents that Safety is primary "Common Sense".

I guess Murphy's Law is alive and kicking. SNAFU upgraded to FUBAR.

It is a common sight here where our fellow bikers carry their young ones everywhere they go on a two wheeler.
What pisses me/sad is to leave a child on the bike on a side stand with the engine running. Make that even having the bike on the centre stand!

IMHO, riding with the child is acceptable if we take some precautions.
However knowing our fellow man wanting it easy anyhow, observe that some bikers here don't even let the kid wear a crash helmet

Maybe Shock tactics can work! Maybe Making/screening a video of effects/damage of vehicle accidents can stir things up.

Ride Fast and Safe (Speed does not kill, it is the sudden Stop that does)
Don't know what u got till it's gone - Cinderella (Rockband's name)
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-09-2009, 10:37 PM

Cruiser crowd was never the smartest (in my opinion), r else they'd be riding V's!!!

and I know what you guys mean about different cultures, in N. Africa its really common to see a whole family of four or five on a little 49cc scoot! sans gear.... and shoes even!!!
I personally would never take any one that young anywhere near the bike without minimum saftey gear (helmet, boots, jeans, long sleeve shirt)... and never on a long ride without ATTGATT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-09-2009, 11:39 PM

I'm somewhat conflicted on this. I grew up on a farm and kids at a very young age rode tractors, horses, on baling wagons, etc. You did mention that it was a busy street so that puts the needle over to the stupid side in this case.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-10-2009, 11:00 AM

I've seen stupid people doing some really stupid things and been able to ignore it for the most part. I'm pretty certain, however, that if I'd have encountered this guy and daughter on the street, I would've turned right around and informed him of the error in his ways at the earliest possible chance.

It's been a personal saying of mine for quite some time now that, "Stupid people are the ones breeding the fastest." It may sound harsh to some and I'm certainly halfway joking, but eugenics isn't necessarily a bad thing.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-11-2009, 01:46 PM

DM
2009 Kawasaki Versys, "Dr Doom"
2009 Suzuki Burgman 650, "StormTrooper"
2003 Suzuki Burgman 400, "Yoda"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-09-2009, 12:13 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
Let alone the conditions...I would think it's illegal to carry forward like that. That is really dumb. Kid has to sit behind you, and be able to touch the foot pegs.
TOTALLY disagree with you! When my boy was little I made a "loop" of seat-belt webbing into stirrups for him (each end had another loop for his feet), put it under the front of the seat, and 'geared' him up ATGATT, put him infront of me with his feet in the stirrups and he could EITHER put his hands on the 'bars inboard of mine, or sit back with hands on my arms. We rode MANY miles like that, him in front with my arms around protecting him. On one ride he started falling asleep (can you imagine if he'd been BEHIND me as some have suggested...?), so I stopped and tied a scarf around him and me till we got home. BTW, I have a movie of him riding his Suzuki JR50 around my house at 2 1/2 years old.

Ed
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-09-2009, 12:28 PM

Hmmmm...

We had an incident in Asheville, NC recently that would have been amusing if not so dangerous. A fireman was so incensed by the sight a father riding with his child on the back of a bicycle that he ... whipped out a gun and shot the guy in the head! Luckily, the bullet passed through the rider's helmet, just barely grazing his head.
Now, stop and consider the logic of that one - the fool thought that having the child on the back of a bicycle was dangerous, but blasting away with a gun at the dad was OK? WTF???
To make the case even more bizarre, the fire department put the guy on suspension, with full benefits, including pay, while awaiting trial. Public indignation eventually resulted in the bum being terminated. I haven't checked recently to see what the outcome was.
As for hauling the young'uns on the bike, my daughter rode with me when she was about 10 years old. We stuck to lightly traveled back roads and to tell the truth, I never felt comfortable while she was on the bike with me.

Don't you think that it's a ^%#$&# shame that Hunter S. Thompson wasn't an adventure rider? Imagine the ride reports...!
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-22-2009, 07:04 AM

Different culture:

When your motorbike is your only transportation you have. What else can you do?
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-22-2009, 08:51 AM

Some people would say the same thing about people who ride motorcycles. They should be riding in cars, they are much safer. While I am not defending the actions of a man who is riding his daughter while there is snow debris on the road..... he is her father. So we can moan about stupid people, but some people would say motorcyclists are daredevils for riding on the roads with nothing to protect them. I said the same about smoking bans. First we ban cigarettes, then oreos, then french fries. People are too stupid to do the healthy thing so we are going to ban everything but vegetables.

Food for thought.
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-22-2009, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneRanger View Post
Some people would say the same thing about people who ride motorcycles. They should be riding in cars, they are much safer. While I am not defending the actions of a man who is riding his daughter while there is snow debris on the road..... he is her father. So we can moan about stupid people, but some people would say motorcyclists are daredevils for riding on the roads with nothing to protect them. I said the same about smoking bans. First we ban cigarettes, then oreos, then french fries. People are too stupid to do the healthy thing so we are going to ban everything but vegetables.

Food for thought.
+1

Being a member of a few MC forums, i see this one A LOT! ---
A forum member sees a rider not wearing any gear on his morning commute. They log on and rant about how "unsafe" it is. And how angry it makes them, that riders can be sooooo stupid and uninformed.

(NEWSFLASH! There is nothing "safe" about riding, different riders accept different levels of risk.)

This same forum member dons full race gear on the weekends, and rides double the speed limit in our local mountain roads.

Pot meet kettle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode