Nevada riders can legally run red lights - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 11:42 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Nevada riders can legally run red lights

under certain circumstances that is...

New law goes into effect October 1st. Click Bill Text 'As Enrolled' to read the actual changes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 12:01 PM
Banned

Good deal that Nevada codified the exemption for motorcycles for a "non functioning" traffic control device.

That is the general non-codified "understanding" that is in effect in California.

In practice here in California it works similar to this
1. Officer witness's rider proceeding on red.
2. Officer writes ticket
3. Rider takes time off work, pays for parking and appears in court 2-3 months later and pleads not guilty asks for trial date.
4. Rider takes time off work, pays for parking and appears in court a few weeks later with ticketing officer present in court to present case.
5. Judge if swayed by riders presentation dismisses ticket.

Seems as though Nevada is now going to allow the officer to make an front end determination.

I was erroneously ticketed recently cost me 2 @ 5$ for parking and 2 @ 2 hours of vacation time, but I "won"

Last edited by Seeya; 06-11-2013 at 12:10 PM.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 12:20 PM

Garage
There are a few red lights that I run regularly. Both of them have wensors in the road for when a vehicle is present. I am not able to trigger them on any bike I have ever ridden across the sensors. Thankfully they are both located on pretty long straightaways so I can see if any cars are coming.
One light is the back way ouy of my neighborhood through a industrial complex. The other is exiting a mostly residential area for my job. Both lights turn gree in roughly 20 seconds in my truck. I will usually wait about a min. on the bike for a car, but then I tkae the firat chance to go for it.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 12:21 PM

We've got similar here after waiting three minutes and all is safe/clear we may proceed if the light hasn't changed and it's gone through a cycle for the other lanes' turners and straight through traffic. I love it...but I think my internal clock is fast.

Ride To Live, Live To Ride....no, really!
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 12:30 PM

just moved here last week, that's good to know. thanks for posting!

In a world full of people, only some want to ride. Isn't that crazy?
Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
=>
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 03:27 PM Thread Starter

On the flip side, our Legislature voted down lane-splitting
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-12-2013, 02:37 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
I subscribe to the "If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it fall, does it make a noise?" theory when it comes to red lights. I would never, ever run a red light even in very light traffic but if the streets are completely empty and I'm sitting at a red light for 30 seconds........
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-12-2013, 05:02 PM

Good here in Virginia as well. Wait 90 seconds and proceed as if at a 4 way stop.

I love the law here, been in effect for a year or two. Have run my share safely.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-12-2013, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Kirk View Post
Good here in Virginia as well. Wait 90 seconds and proceed as if at a 4 way stop.

I love the law here, been in effect for a year or two. Have run my share safely.
I thought in VA you just had to wait one entire cycle.

For you guys that aren't in states where motorcycles can run redlights, if you get ticketed it's a very simple defense. If the light isn't cycling properly then it's malfunctioning. File a complaint with the state or the municipality stating the the traffic device is not functioning properly. The courts will not charge you for not obeying a malfunctioning traffic device.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-12-2013, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray h View Post
I thought in VA you just had to wait one entire cycle.
I misquoted.. The law in VA is:

B. Notwithstanding any other provision of law, if a driver of a motorcycle or moped or a bicycle rider approaches an intersection that is controlled by a traffic light, the driver or rider may proceed through the intersection on a steady red light only if the driver or rider (i) comes to a full and complete stop at the intersection for two complete cycles of the traffic light or for two minutes, whichever is shorter, (ii) exercises due care as provided by law, (iii) otherwise treats the traffic control device as a stop sign, (iv) determines that it is safe to proceed, and (v) yields the right of way to the driver of any vehicle approaching on such other highway from either direction.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-12-2013, 07:12 PM
MTS

Glad you brought that up!

Wait, if no activation run the red!

Don't know the law?

Will check into that!

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-12-2013, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Kirk View Post
I misquoted.. The law in VA is:

B. Notwithstanding any other provision of law, if a driver of a motorcycle or moped or a bicycle rider approaches an intersection that is controlled by a traffic light, the driver or rider may proceed through the intersection on a steady red light only if the driver or rider (i) comes to a full and complete stop at the intersection for two complete cycles of the traffic light or for two minutes, whichever is shorter, (ii) exercises due care as provided by law, (iii) otherwise treats the traffic control device as a stop sign, (iv) determines that it is safe to proceed, and (v) yields the right of way to the driver of any vehicle approaching on such other highway from either direction.
I guess I was wrong as well. I read that back when they changed it but I remembered it as one cycle instead of two.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-13-2013, 03:31 PM Thread Starter

How would the cops know that you only waited one cycle? The laws seem to be written to be unenforcable in court. Sounds like even if I wait only 15 seconds and then go, who's to dispute I wasn't sitting at that light for 2 cycles already.

Here in NV, traffic cameras can't be used for other than traffic management. No 'red light' cameras so there's nothing the cops can use to dispute a claim I've been there for 2 cycles. It's going to be stop & go for me come October.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-13-2013, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocibiker View Post
How would the cops know that you only waited one cycle? The laws seem to be written to be unenforcable in court. Sounds like even if I wait only 15 seconds and then go, who's to dispute I wasn't sitting at that light for 2 cycles already.

Here in NV, traffic cameras can't be used for other than traffic management. No 'red light' cameras so there's nothing the cops can use to dispute a claim I've been there for 2 cycles. It's going to be stop & go for me come October.
We have cops who sit in a parking lot watching an intersection.. They also hang out in the median although they are obviously in plain sight. The one in the parking lots, not so much in sight.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-13-2013, 07:19 PM
MTS

Very true Capn!

Which reminds me of a true story with a happy ending!

I'll shortin it up! Anal cop in small town everyone hated him. Not nice to people at all. Giving tickets to everybody for piddly crap!

One day he pulls his wife over gives her a ticket. Thinks it cool and brags about it all over town. Every one hates this jack a$$! LOL

Next thing you know he gets a DUI and fired from his job! Everyone around town is laughing and making jokes about him.

The other cops are great guys and I bet they were laughing too!

His karmal got sticky! Ha! Ha! I mean his karma got him!

Sorry got alittle off topic, my bad!

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-14-2013, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTS View Post
His karmal got sticky! Ha! Ha! I mean his karma got him!

Sorry got alittle off topic, my bad!
Good story! I love it when karme comes back around to bite people who are azzhats.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode