Riding In The Heat - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-07-2013, 07:51 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Riding In The Heat

After an unusually pleasant, long spring, it's HOT IN HOUSTON!!!! (Texas)

I bought my gently used 08 w/12K miles a couple months ago and have enjoyed several rides but . . . man . . . the heat here literally sucks the life out of you!

As much as I'd like to take some full day rides, I'll have to settle for early morning and back by noon rides. And of course, the down side to that kind of riding is you can't get very far!

At the ripe, young age of 56, I'm old enough to know better than to ride past a certain point (both miles per day and temperature wise.)

Back when I was in my late teens, when I DID want to prove something (looking back, I was PROVING how dumb I was) I ventured out on a west Texas ride from Houston to Carlsbad Caverns in mid August. It was so freaking hot!

I remember on the return leg of the ride, I pulled in to a gas station to fill up (this was back when THEY pumped the gas,) I pulled off my full face helmet, sweat streaming down my face, and asked the guy, "What time does it start to cool off around here?" His very matter of fact response with a heavy Spanish accent, "Last night, at 10 o'clock, she was 110 degrees."

I got back on the bike, full tank of gas, and continued. You couldn't tell the tears from the sweat coming down my cheeks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-07-2013, 08:17 AM

On my trip last July across the plains from Florida to Montana and back it was HOT every day. I did my research... mostly on the ADV Forum and here is what I did:
- All synthetic garments - underwear and outerwear. They all wicked sweat off the skin and up to be evaporated. Socks too!
- Geigerrig water system (kind of like a step up from Camelbak in that you can pressurize it and it squirts a strong stream of water).
- Chilly Pad around my neck which I kept wetted down (along with my T-Shirt) with my Geigerrig, between fuel stops.
- Mesh One-Piece suit (Olympia Stealth)
I emptied at least two or three Geigerrig fill-ups each day... mostly by drinking... to keep myself hydrated.
I was 65 when I did my trip and all my prep paid off with a 19 day trip of a lifetime and although I was in 100+ heat nearly each day, my prep made the heat mostly a non-issue.

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72

Last edited by genehil; 06-07-2013 at 08:23 AM.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-07-2013, 10:46 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
You might consider getting an evaporative vest. Cycle Gear and several other outlets sell them and reviews seem to indicate they work pretty well.

By the way, it's hot here in San Antonio as well. Don't know about global warming but Texas warming is alive and well.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-18-2013, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by genehil View Post
On my trip last July across the plains from Florida to Montana and back it was HOT every day. I did my research... mostly on the ADV Forum and here is what I did:
- All synthetic garments - underwear and outerwear. They all wicked sweat off the skin and up to be evaporated. Socks too!
- Geigerrig water system (kind of like a step up from Camelbak in that you can pressurize it and it squirts a strong stream of water).
- Chilly Pad around my neck which I kept wetted down (along with my T-Shirt) with my Geigerrig, between fuel stops.
- Mesh One-Piece suit (Olympia Stealth)
I emptied at least two or three Geigerrig fill-ups each day... mostly by drinking... to keep myself hydrated.
I was 65 when I did my trip and all my prep paid off with a 19 day trip of a lifetime and although I was in 100+ heat nearly each day, my prep made the heat mostly a non-issue.

Nice pic. I used to have an air temp gauge on my bike until I saw it had maxed out one day. When it's that hot, I don't want to know. My policy these days is if it's 90 or higher when I'm getting ready to leave for work and/or riding at 6am, then I take the car.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-19-2013, 12:25 AM

Here in CO fun starts at 90 f. By the time I get to the high mountain passes @ 11k feet it's down to a very nice 70 f. However, you can be back to 100 by the time you make it back down.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode