Terrible Moto Accident - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-05-2013, 07:43 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Terrible Moto Accident

This happened about six miles up the road from me. A Canadian couple was riding two-up on a Harley with another Harley couple on their dream retirement tour of the USA when a four-sheets-to-the-wind driver crossed the yellow line in his Pathfinder, missed the first bike and took out the second. The couple that was hit has each lost a leg and the woman may have lost her arm. The fkwad who did it told the judge he had to take care of his wheelchair-bound Mom. (Oh please.) What's worse, the guy pleaded out of reckless driving in 2009, so he's been given a chance already. Now he wants another one. Time for some eye-for-an-eye justice!

Latest news:
http://www.noozhawk.com/article/judg...ed_dui_driver/

As reported by someone else (not me) on ADVRider thread:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=21560695

Someday is not a day of the week.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-05-2013, 08:18 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
I have no tolerance for drunk drivers. Hope he gets locked up for a long long time.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-05-2013, 08:19 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

W-T-F

Just horrible. Prayers to both victims and their families.
post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-05-2013, 09:57 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Sad.

Makes one realize the serious consequences that can occur with driving under the influence.

Last edited by twowheels; 06-05-2013 at 10:05 PM.
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-05-2013, 10:16 PM

If you've got your problems and need to get drunk/high...fine go for it...stay of the road you ****ing piece of ****!

Lovin every minute of it!
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-05-2013, 10:29 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avande View Post
If you've got your problems and need to get drunk/high...fine go for it...stay of the road you ****ing piece of ****!

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-05-2013, 10:36 PM

Oh thats awful!! Thoughts and prayers to both couples and I hope that dude gets the book thrown at him.
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-05-2013, 11:43 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Don't mean to too dramatic, but there are times that summary roadside execution doesn't seem like a bad idea. At least it would prevent the slimeball from doing it again.

And he should have thought about his wheelchair-bound mother before boozing it up. Irresponsible just doesn't describe him adequately.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome

Last edited by Arion; 06-05-2013 at 11:46 PM.
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-05-2013, 11:48 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
The driver of the ‘94 Toyota 4Runner — Martin Maguire, 51, of Montecito — was arrested on felony DUI charges, Hunter said, and appeared to be under the influence of several substances.
“It’s a horrible thing,” Hunter said. “Just two couples out having fun, and the day ended in a horrific manner.”

Immediately following the collision, several bystanders rendered aid to the couple, who had shipped their Harley Davidson bikes down from Canada with the intent of taking an extended tour of the United States, McCaffrey said.

One of those bystanders, a U.S. Army soldier recently deployed in Afghanistan, “applied a tourniquet to one of the injured riders that possibly saved their lives due to massive bleeding,” he said.
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 05:25 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avande View Post
My wife figures I drink too much, however, I drink at HOME, and DON'T go out after a few 'pops'. I'll happily be the designated-driver when someone else wants a few 'pops'.

Really sad that THAT idiot did what he did!!!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arion View Post
Don't mean to too dramatic, but there are times that summary roadside execution doesn't seem like a bad idea. At least it would prevent the slimeball from doing it again.

And he should have thought about his wheelchair-bound mother before boozing it up. Irresponsible just doesn't describe him adequately.
I would be all in favor of a trial and then public execution.
post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 07:18 PM Thread Starter

Killing's too good for him. Take both his legs and one arm, after hitting them with a sledge hammer. No pain meds or booze allowed.

post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-07-2013, 10:36 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerpawed View Post
Killing's too good for him. Take both his legs and one arm, after hitting them with a sledge hammer. No pain meds or booze allowed.
+1

Is your zodiac sign scorpio ?
Mine is !!!

LOP
post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-07-2013, 01:21 PM Thread Starter

I'm an Aries, which one source says "Their immense energy makes them aggressive and restless, argumentative occasionally, headstrong, quick tempered, easily offended and capable of holding grudges if they feel themselves affronted." I guess that could apply sometimes. I am affronted by a guy who would get ****faced, get behind the wheel, and cause this carnage.

"On Tuesday, Maguire appeared in court in a blue jumpsuit as his attorney, Christine Voss, entered a not-guilty plea.

She also asked Judge Thomas Adams to release Maguire and reduce his bail so he could care for his elderly mother.

Maguire’s mother, who uses a wheelchair, sat through almost an entire day of court proceedings, as did Maguire’s sister and brother, before Adams could get to the case on a packed calendar.

“As you can see, Mr. Maguire has a very insignificant record,” Voss told Adams. “He is otherwise a lawful-abiding citizen.”

Letters had been submitted from various people “from all walks of life” supporting Maguire’s character, she said.

The vehicle Maguire was driving was so badly damaged in the accident, he’d be unable to drive even if he was released, she said.

But Senior Deputy District Attorney Jeff Gittler took a much different view.

Because of the severity of the couple’s injuries, “[Maguire] is very fortunate this is not a murder charge,” he told the court, and asked that Adams raise Maguire’s bail amount to $160,000.

Maguire faced a misdemeanor charge of reckless driving in 2009, “and I guess he didn’t learn. … Many of these letters ask for a second chance for Mr. Maguire, but he’s had a second chance,” Gittler said.

After looking over the letters, Adams said he could not reduce the bail because of the seriousness of the collision.

If the allegations are true, Adams said, “this was a repeat situation, and the last matter was resolved in July 2009, which was recently.” "
So he wrecked his vehicle by nearly killing 4 people (a pair of 2-up motorcyclists), and his attorney spins it as...see, he can't harm anyone any more because his truck is so smashed he won't be able to drive it, so let him out on bail.

post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-07-2013, 05:09 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerpawed View Post
...So he wrecked his vehicle by nearly killing 4 people (a pair of 2-up motorcyclists), and his attorney spins it as...see, he can't harm anyone any more because his truck is so smashed he won't be able to drive it, so let him out on bail.
Either Mark Twain or Wm Shakespeare said:
"First we kill ALL the lawyers...!"

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #16 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-10-2013, 05:14 PM Thread Starter

"Their plans and lives were drastically and forever changed...."

Follow-up article: http://www.noozhawk.com/noozhawk/art...fic_collision/

post #17 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 05:09 AM

Sad story.

Hopefully they heal physically and mentally enough to still enjoy their retirement. They've got a very long road ahead but it could have been worse. Also, I sincerely hope that the justice system works and doesn't give this guy a 3rd chance to go hurt or kill someone else.

"Negative Ghost Rider the pattern is full."
post #18 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 06:09 AM

I have no faith in our justice system but I do have faith in god and smith & wesson,
post #19 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 08:08 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
What I find amazing is that during my daily travels I have noticed that people will generally leave a safe distance behind me when I am riding, but will drive right up my but when I am in a rental car on a work trip.

So, they don't want to rear end a bike, but have no problem rear ending a car? What kind of logic is that?

My Versys Travels:

post #20 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-17-2013, 01:31 PM

Looking for logic while driving is an exercise in futility, its like when you go to wal mart and people will stop in the middle of an isle to talk to a friend and forget that there are other people trying to shop< pet peeve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode