Support this Kickstart Project to help avoid rear end collisions. - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-23-2013, 12:40 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Support this Kickstart Project to help avoid rear end collisions.

Hi All,
I ran across this Kickstart Project that is really a good idea for motorcycle riders.
It is a great idea to help alert drivers that you are slowing down and prevent that cager from smashing into you.
It will be VERY simple to install.

Please look it over and consider pledging an amount, even as small as $5 to get this thing into production.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...cle-visibility

Here is an article about it on CycleWorld.com.
http://www.cycleworld.com/2013/05/16...ght-indicator/

I am not affiliated with this project. I just think it is a great and simple idea that could save motorcyclists lives.

Please share on other forums, facebook, twitter, etc if you think it is a good idea.

Dennis
08 Versys
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-23-2013, 03:33 PM

I think most drivers will think you just have flashy lights on the back to be cool. They will never figure out that they are blinking from decel. Only when you use the real brake lights will they think you are slowing.

I have a brake light flasher installed as well as extra lights because I am concerned about being seen. I would not buy this product to run independent from my manual brake lights. As much as I use engine decel, they would be flashing way too often.

Just my $.02
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-23-2013, 05:04 PM

I definitely have the problem they are trying to solve. Not sure that I like the fix but it is interesting.

I have adjusted my front brake switch so it will trigger before actually braking. When I'm down shifting at a light I usually trigger the brake lights. I have the flashing lights also which seems to make a big difference.
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-23-2013, 05:06 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I have the P3 lights from Skene Designs. Very bright and you can choose the option of run/turn/brake. Never have anyone tailgate me now.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-23-2013, 05:58 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
sounds interesting and I see the utility.

I always look back when I brake, especially on a highway.
I do have brake modulator and I use it when I see car behind me it's too close, even if I don't brake, I just touch the brake lever to activate it.

I do find that it is a little expensive...

Versys 2015 Green
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-23-2013, 08:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Kirk View Post
I think most drivers will think you just have flashy lights on the back to be cool. They will never figure out that they are blinking from decel. Only when you use the real brake lights will they think you are slowing.

I have a brake light flasher installed as well as extra lights because I am concerned about being seen. I would not buy this product to run independent from my manual brake lights. As much as I use engine decel, they would be flashing way too often.

Just my $.02
I understand the concern. Personally I hate following a motorcycle with the brake lights that flash 3 times then go solid. But that is because it IS the brake light and not an auxillary light. I would compare this to the extra lights that our city buses and electric company trucks have on the back here in Indy. The faster they are decelerating, the faster that extra light blinks. I do my best to always tap my brakes when slowing with engine breaking, but I forget to on occasion because of traffic issues in front of me. I like the idea of it flashing whenever I decelerate.

Dennis
08 Versys
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-24-2013, 12:17 AM

I have a brake light flasher and have noticed it he cars behind me give me more room when stopping. Not sure the drivers round here are bright enough to figure out decel lights.

2009 Kawasaki Versys
SWM Engine Guard; Windscreen de Jour on a MadStad bracket; Motowerk Peg Lowering kit & Stand Big Foot; ProTaper ATV Low bars; Stebel horn; KTM Duals Rear Rack; Coocase 36L topcase...and more to come

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-24-2013, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimel View Post
I have a brake light flasher and have noticed it he cars behind me give me more room when stopping. Not sure the drivers round here are bright enough to figure out decel lights.
Exactly my point.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-03-2013, 06:11 AM

Along the same lines:
http://hackaday.com/2013/02/14/brake...th-led-pixels/

----------------------------------------
Victoria, Australia
Versys 650 (KLE-650) 2012
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-20-2013, 01:06 PM

I hope it works better than this.......

Ride To Live, Live To Ride....no, really!
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-20-2013, 03:13 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
the project reached its objective, I hope they can mass produce it and the price will go down...
after seeing this, I now find myself looking behind and wishing that I have this Vololight to signalize that I'm using my engine brake...

Versys 2015 Green
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-20-2013, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tig View Post
I hope it works better than this.......
Holy Shiat!!!

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-20-2013, 07:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chid View Post
the project reached its objective, I hope they can mass produce it and the price will go down...
after seeing this, I now find myself looking behind and wishing that I have this Vololight to signalize that I'm using my engine brake...
They are also including some programming so that the rider has the option to change it to be connected to the brakes instead of the accelerometer.
So for those that don't want the engine braking activating the flashing lights, you can set it to only be triggered by the brakes. Your choice. Looking forward to getting one.

Dennis
08 Versys
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-20-2013, 07:20 PM Thread Starter

[QUOTE=El Tig;339769]I hope it works better than this.......

Makes you cringe. No amount of electronics can make up for careless driving.

Dennis
08 Versys
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-21-2013, 11:59 PM

I emailed them regarding potential sales and have yet to get any form of response, after 5 days.

I like the idea, hopefully I get to see one in the wild!
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-22-2013, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosenart View Post
I emailed them regarding potential sales and have yet to get any form of response, after 5 days.

I like the idea, hopefully I get to see one in the wild!
Sad to say, but you may have missed the boat on this one for now. Having seen other Kickstarter projects, it sometimes takes up to a year for the item to be commercially available and thus the only way to get you hands on the product initially is to help back the project from the start.

You may not get a response for a while, as their last update said they were taking some of the suggestions from the backers to improve the product regarding programming and LED brightness. This may delay them answering your questions for now.

----------------------------------------
Victoria, Australia
Versys 650 (KLE-650) 2012
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode