From halogen to HID for my car ... Opinion ? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-29-2013, 01:18 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
From halogen to HID for my car ... Opinion ?

Want to make the transition from halogen (that keeps burning) to HID for my honda cr-v 2006

Anybody has advice on that matter ?

Thank's in advance !!!

LOP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-29-2013, 08:54 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
XTRA LIGHTS might be able to help
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-29-2013, 09:06 AM
MTS

Its great to have good lights but those new lights are so bright they blind me and can not even imagine how bright high beam is!

BTW I have a 2004 CRV bought new off the lot and have never had a head light burn out? I run with my lights on in day light on the highway too?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by MTS; 04-29-2013 at 09:11 AM.
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-29-2013, 10:03 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTS View Post
Its great to have good lights but those new lights are so bright they blind me and can not even imagine how bright high beam is!

BTW I have a 2004 CRV bought new off the lot and have never had a head light burn out? I run with my lights on in day light on the highway too?

Thank's black dog
Did look into those and I was wondering if they lasted and were worth it ?

MTS, m cr-v is eating my low beam these day like crazy

I've change both side at least 4 time (and I started counting at the second or third change...)
I've tried sylvania silverstar, twice, both failed in less that 3 month
Asked my mechanic about that, he told me not to bother buying high end bulb because they blew anyhow and were expensive

So, I'm looking for better than average bulb, and taugh that HID might be tha way to go

LOP
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-29-2013, 11:00 AM

I'd worry more about why they're blowing. Are they getting too much voltage or something? Something is not right.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-29-2013, 12:18 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lours_Polaire View Post
Thank's black dog
Did look into those and I was wondering if they lasted and were worth it ?

MTS, m cr-v is eating my low beam these day like crazy

I've change both side at least 4 time (and I started counting at the second or third change...)
I've tried sylvania silverstar, twice, both failed in less that 3 month
Asked my mechanic about that, he told me not to bother buying high end bulb because they blew anyhow and were expensive

So, I'm looking for better than average bulb, and taugh that HID might be tha way to go

LOP
sounds like another problem to me
240000 on my truck & just changed a second time
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-29-2013, 01:45 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by prim8 View Post
I'd worry more about why they're blowing. Are they getting too much voltage or something? Something is not right.
Phil - I'm with 'prim8' on this - SOMETHING is wrong. Hondas have a pretty good (deserved) reputation.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-29-2013, 02:47 PM

If your rig wasn't meant to run HID you will likely be blinding people if you don't replace the projector part also.

I agree though that something isn't right. I have 150k on my car and use the headlights every time I'm moving. Only replaced them once.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-29-2013, 02:59 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Ok guys, because of you I'm starting to see a "clearer" (punt intended) picture

Maybe you are right ...

I've had this honda for 4 year, and it only started blowing those bulb a year and a half ago ... Hum !??

What course of action do you suggest before I get it to the stealer ???
Voltage regulator going out ?
Wouldn't other bulb also be blowing up ?
Do those bulb (H1) go a certain way, like, filament up, or down, (because they only fit one way or 180 degree the orther way) and I've consistenly put them the wrong way ...

Thank's guy

LOP
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-29-2013, 05:08 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
If you use the headlights of your CR-V, you're going to blind people, as the HID has a different focal point than halogen and it will shoot light all over.
I had that on my Versys and it wasn't bringing any more useful light.

The way to go is to install HID projectors.... way better!!
I had them almost 3 years and 16 000 km and I never changed them, and on moto there are more vibrations.

Versys 2015 Green
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-29-2013, 11:24 PM
MTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lours_Polaire View Post
Ok guys, because of you I'm starting to see a "clearer" (punt intended) picture

Maybe you are right ...

I've had this honda for 4 year, and it only started blowing those bulb a year and a half ago ... Hum !??

What course of action do you suggest before I get it to the stealer ???
Voltage regulator going out ?
Wouldn't other bulb also be blowing up ?
Do those bulb (H1) go a certain way, like, filament up, or down, (because they only fit one way or 180 degree the orther way) and I've consistenly put them the wrong way ...

Thank's guy

LOP
LOP..... Just remebered Honda CRV had head light recall because of lights burning out! So sorry it just hit me. My year was not in the group yours is! Take to dealership they fix for free takes two hours. They replace switch. Sorry was brain dead for a minute! Call dealership first!

MTS

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )

Last edited by MTS; 04-29-2013 at 11:30 PM.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-30-2013, 06:07 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTS View Post
LOP..... Just remebered Honda CRV had head light recall because of lights burning out! So sorry it just hit me. My year was not in the group yours is! Take to dealership they fix for free takes two hours. They replace switch. Sorry was brain dead for a minute! Call dealership first!

MTS
Responses like this one from MTS are WHY this is such a GREAT forum!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-01-2013, 10:11 AM Thread Starter

Garage
MTS

Thank's for the info

Went to check it out on the NHTSA something something and found out it was a slightly different problem
It was the switch on the blinker stick that was kind of either burning out or at the very best preventing any "on" signal to the headlight
So it's not exactely what happening to me since I do have tension in the connector

I also found out that it seems like a common problem on the 2005 2006

I have an appoitment at the dealer, and they tell me that they will install a set of oem bulb that will be on waranty for 1 year or 16000 km

So I'll let them figure it out ...

Thank's guys for the hint

------------------------------

FastEddie
Indeed !!!!!

LOP
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 05:29 PM

Before you buy them I'd check with the local police. I know in some states it's a big NO NO to do this. Most of the kits are sold as Off Road Use Only. You can tell when someone has done the swap as they tend to blind oncoming driver with glare as the focus point is different than on a halogen bulb so you end up with a scattered beam rather than a crisp one.

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-03-2013, 09:25 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time View Post
Before you buy them I'd check with the local police. I know in some states it's a big NO NO to do this. Most of the kits are sold as Off Road Use Only. You can tell when someone has done the swap as they tend to blind oncoming driver with glare as the focus point is different than on a halogen bulb so you end up with a scattered beam rather than a crisp one.
For now I'm going to pass on HID

The main reason for witch I wanted HID was because I tought they would outlast the halogen bulb, but deep down I don't like the blueish glow

So now this project is on the ice ...

LOP
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-03-2013, 10:14 AM

Get 6000k bulbs. That color temp is white. Not all HID are blue.

2009 Kawasaki Versys
SWM Engine Guard; Windscreen de Jour on a MadStad bracket; Motowerk Peg Lowering kit & Stand Big Foot; ProTaper ATV Low bars; Stebel horn; KTM Duals Rear Rack; Coocase 36L topcase...and more to come

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode