ER6i earphones - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-31-2009, 08:39 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
ER6i earphones

Got a pair of these the other day. I finally got to ride with them today. I am very happy with them. They are very good at blocking noise, especially wind noise. I didn't have to adjust the volume much at all from idle to highway speeds. They're a little pricey, but I believe they're well worth it...

http://www.amazon.com/Etymotic-Resea...M57PBT8VCSKK9F

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-31-2009, 09:08 PM

+1000 on these.

I started using these a year or two ago at the suggestion of a guy on KLRWorld.com. Hated the idea of dropping so much $$ on earphones, but I couldn't be happier with them. They block out almost all of the wind noise but you can still hear important stuff if you don't play your music too loud.

There is a pretty heated debate about whether you should use earphones or not. I'm firmly in the camp that they are safer than not using any ear protection as long as you don't blast your music at full volume.

I like these particular earphones so much that when I lost my set (and Ipod) I immediately ordered another set. It hurt the wallet, but I'm addicted to them. If I ever get caught in a situation where I have to ride without them, I don't feel right now. It's like riding without gloves or something. It's possible to do, but it just feels wierd.

After losing that set, I did a lot of research into other options for the replacement set. I looked at ones more and less expensive. From what I found, you can find better earphones for more money, but you'll have to go quite a bit more money (like double or more). The ones that are just a bit more expensive don't seem to be a good match for motorcycle use (read: stick out too far from your ear). These are the best match for ear isolation, sound quality, and fit deep into the ear so they don't conflict with helmet usage.

Did I mention that I like these earphones?

Chris in Oneonta, NY
08 Versys that replaced my beloved 07 KLR650

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

>>>> states on a bike <<<<
>>>> East Coast done <<<<
>>>>> Westward HO! <<<<<
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-03-2009, 06:16 PM

Hi all,

I like the look of these , we recently attended the London bike show with a view to purchasing some of the specially moulded to your ear type but after seeing the price, cheapest £175 (approx $260) decided that in these times a luxury we would have to do without, so may give these a try. They look very similar to some of the hearing protection we have at work.

Regards Dave
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-03-2009, 07:03 PM

I had a set of the ER6i's and the sound quality was great but they were not comfortable for my ears so they went back. One of the audiophiles on ST-Owners suggested Inked Earbuds. Clicky For under $20 the sound quality is superb and they seal out a lot of the wind noise, although somewhat less than the ER6i's. A lot more comfortable (for me anyway) than the ER6i's. Anyway, the Inked earbuds are a worthwhile alternative if cost is a concern.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2019 F750GS
2014 R1200RT
2008 Versys (SOLD 11/19)
2003 ST1300ABS (SOLD 5/15)
IBA 59868
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-10-2009, 10:10 PM Thread Starter

Just a quick update, I reallly like these earphones. I've done a couple of rides 2 to 3 hours plus with them in. I even turned the music off to see how well they work as just noise suppression. They work great!

If I had to say one thing negative, besides the price of course, it's the wearing them inside the ear canal. After getting home & pulling them out, my ear canals are a little sore. Not real bad, but sore. I'm know the seal formed by pushing them inside the canal plays a big role in blocking outside noise, so I guess that's the price you pay.

If any of you guys are thinking about or already are riding with music through earphones, don't even give it a second thought. Get these earphones. You wont be disappointed...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode