Portable or Camping Chair - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-05-2013, 06:35 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Portable or Camping Chair

With the bad knee standing around alot or working on the bike sucks. So i've been looking for a sturdy portable chair to keep on the bike. Wanted something easy to pack but sturdy. Came across this http://www.amazon.com/Walkstool-Comfort-18-inch-Portable-Photography/dp/B000N29XW6/ref=pd_rhf_ee_p_t_3_D82P ordered one should be here tomorrow.Will do a follow up on how it works out.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 08:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
With the bad knee standing around alot or working on the bike sucks. So i've been looking for a sturdy portable chair to keep on the bike. Wanted something easy to pack but sturdy. Came across this http://www.amazon.com/Walkstool-Comf..._ee_p_t_3_D82P ordered one should be here tomorrow.Will do a follow up on how it works out.
Ill throw my 2 cents in as I was looking for chairs for camping.

I ended up buying a Alite Monarch Chair - Super compact (size of a large wine bottle) and quite comfortable. However, I think the weight limit is 250lbs and you need to support it with your legs (which is really easy and fun, but most likely not the best if your trying to rest your knees).

Based on your other posts Weljo, I know your not shy on spending some $ on solid products, I would look at the Kermit Chair. Its a Real chair. A bit bigger, but at least its real. Packs down small enough too. Most bikers swear by them, I just couldnt shell out the $140. Doing the math, its 8inches LONGER than the stool you posted above when packed. However, I have sat in a ton of "stools" and I was never really comfortable because you can't lean back. I would look into it if you havent.

Farkles:
Givi Tall Windscreen, Givi Top Rack and Case, Givi V35 Bags and Mounts, Givi QuickLock Tank Connector+Bag, Oxford Heated Grips, Nuvi 550 w/ Ram Mount, Barkbusters Full Wrap + Storm, Motowerks Flatfoot, Spools and Tank Protector, Bobbed Fender, Grip Puppies, 12v SAE Socket, Packjack, Airhawk 1 (med), Scala Rider G4, Contour Roam2

Next Stop: 44Tooth Sprocket (To be installed)
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 08:40 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
another place to look would be Duluth Trading
they carry folding tripod chairs in a variety of heights
post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 09:01 AM

i had the good fortune of receiving a kermit chair as a birthday present last spring and after a year of riding (and a three cycle/camp trips), i endorse it fully. it is a real pleasure to close out a long day of riding seated in a chair with a back... and arms. my only other observation- since the kermit is so comfortable i recommend dragging the cooler over within arms reach.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 09:08 AM

I keep waiting for this to go on sale-

http://www.rei.com/product/829239/rei-flex-lite-chair
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versystole View Post
I keep waiting for this to go on sale-

http://www.rei.com/product/829239/rei-flex-lite-chair
any idea how high the seat is, for some reason the proximity of my butt to the ground & my ability to get moving are inversely proportionate
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK DOG View Post
any idea how high the seat is, for some reason the proximity of my butt to the ground & my ability to get moving are inversely proportionate
It says the seat height is 13inches.. I would assume thats close to the distance.

Also - If you are looking to get this, you can get 15% off any REI branded item by signing up for email. So the cost is only $59.50 (without tax).

I love REI gear, some really good quality. Also, if you keep the receipt, you can return it FOREVER if it fails or breaks for some reason that isnt your own fault.

"We stand behind everything we sell. If at any time your REI purchase doesn't meet your expectations, you can return it for a replacement or refund. What's more, if you're an REI member, you don't even need a receipt - we'll have a record of your purchase."

Farkles:
Givi Tall Windscreen, Givi Top Rack and Case, Givi V35 Bags and Mounts, Givi QuickLock Tank Connector+Bag, Oxford Heated Grips, Nuvi 550 w/ Ram Mount, Barkbusters Full Wrap + Storm, Motowerks Flatfoot, Spools and Tank Protector, Bobbed Fender, Grip Puppies, 12v SAE Socket, Packjack, Airhawk 1 (med), Scala Rider G4, Contour Roam2

post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 01:24 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by naudan View Post
Ill throw my 2 cents in as I was looking for chairs for camping.

I ended up buying a Alite Monarch Chair - Super compact (size of a large wine bottle) and quite comfortable. However, I think the weight limit is 250lbs and you need to support it with your legs (which is really easy and fun, but most likely not the best if your trying to rest your knees).

Based on your other posts Weljo, I know your not shy on spending some $ on solid products, I would look at the Kermit Chair. Its a Real chair. A bit bigger, but at least its real. Packs down small enough too. Most bikers swear by them, I just couldnt shell out the $140. Doing the math, its 8inches LONGER than the stool you posted above when packed. However, I have sat in a ton of "stools" and I was never really comfortable because you can't lean back. I would look into it if you havent.

If the one i ordered doesn't work out i check into the Kermit Chair. The main reason i went with the one i ordered is it will hold up to 440 lbs. Really liked this from the link you sent. http://www.kermitchair.com/store/cup-holder.176314

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 02:09 PM

Clement Salvadori of Rider magazine (many years) seems to prefer the Kermit chair. Having read his book, it would seem that he has well over 100000 miles wight his Kermit!

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 03:04 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Well the mailman just delivered my Walkstool and Motowerks Swingarm Spools. First impression on the stool. Very well made simple to set-up and packs up easily and has a nice durable pouch to carry it in can just sling it over your shoulder and take it with you on a hike. Sat on it and it felt great, well planted and just the perfect height for working on the bike if needed. As for the swingarm spools well we all know Speedy makes quality products.

IMG_2348 by weljo2001, on Flickr

IMG_2349 by weljo2001, on Flickr

IMG_2350 by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 04:46 PM

Quote:
If the one i ordered doesn't work out i check into the Kermit Chair. The main reason i went with the one i ordered is it will hold up to 440 lbs. Really liked this from the link you sent. http://www.kermitchair.com/store/cup-holder.176314
You and your cup holders!!
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 07:42 PM

I used a three legged chair like that on one camping trip, never agian. Tell me how you sit on that dang thing without one of the legs smashing your nuts.

Not something I noticed when I sat on it for a couple minutes before I bought it, but definately something you notice when you sit around a fire for a couple hours!

Landon
09 Verseys
06 KLX250s
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 07:55 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landon View Post
I used a three legged chair like that on one camping trip, never agian. Tell me how you sit on that dang thing without one of the legs smashing your nuts.

Not something I noticed when I sat on it for a couple minutes before I bought it, but definately something you notice when you sit around a fire for a couple hours!

No problem with this one. Just sit with one of the points sticking between your legs.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 08:03 PM

Quote:
No problem with this one. Just sit with one of the points sticking between your legs.
That's exactly what I am referring to, you either have to have one of the three legs between your legs (smashing your manhood) or one leg stuck up your backend. Anyway, I want a Kermit, but just have not managed to drop that kinda cash on a chair.

Landon
09 Verseys
06 KLX250s
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 08:16 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
That's exactly what I am referring to, you either have to have one of the three legs between your legs (smashing your manhood) or one leg stuck up your backend. Anyway, I want a Kermit, but just have not managed to drop that kinda cash on a chair.
I've been sitting on the stool all afternoon to make sure i like it. No issues being smashed or poked anywhere. But this is a good quality sturdy unit once you spread the feet it planted and solid.http://www.walkstool.com/uk/indexframe.html Maybe the cheaper stools that are similar are just that "Cheap"

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 08:52 PM

Quote:
I've been sitting on the stool all afternoon to make sure i like it. No issues being smashed or poked anywhere. But this is a good quality sturdy unit once you spread the feet it planted and solid.http://www.walkstool.com/uk/indexframe.html Maybe the cheaper stools that are similar are just that "Cheap"
Well I am not exactly a tiny guy either, that might be a factor also.

Landon
09 Verseys
06 KLX250s
post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 08:56 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Well I am not exactly a tiny guy either, that might be a factor also.
I'm in the same boat. 6'2" 300+ pounds. Thats the main reason i got this one its rated to hold 440lbs. Its the 18 inch model which is 3 inches higher than my seat on the kitchen chair. Might get a 22 inch model down the road.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 10:33 PM

I got an Alite Mantis chair last Fall on sale from REI. The color is a bit like a beach chair, but no question which one is mine. :-) http://alitedesigns.com

Someday is not a day of the week.
post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-07-2013, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerpawed View Post
I got an Alite Mantis chair last Fall on sale from REI. The color is a bit like a beach chair, but no question which one is mine. :-) http://alitedesigns.com
None of these types of chairs will work for Wejo due to weight holding specs.

Good job on the stool! like others I have tried a lot (all around $15-$25 range). Maybe your $75 stool is great, but I personally would like something to lean back against.

The kermit chair is great (so i hear) but the setup time is much more lengthy than other options. That may be a big negative for some. To each their own!

Farkles:

post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-07-2013, 06:16 PM

I had good luck with my Travel Chair that I chose for my long trip last summer.

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode