Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Mantua, New Jersey
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Givi Windshield install gone wrong...
Just as misery loves company, people love to laugh at others mis-fortunes.. So today it is my turn in the barrel. It started with my wife asking what I would like for Christmas. I said hey I like the look of those Givi windshields for my V. Not knowing much about cycle parts, she allowed me to order what I wanted as long as she could wrap it for Christmas day. So, I find a new one on fleabay for $75 from a fellow in Western Canada (+ $10 shipping). Not a bad deal, or so I thought. In shipping the windshield to me one our finest border agents somewhere in North Dakota finds that the windshield does not have a D.O.T. sticker on it. So he promptly quarantines the offending windshield and informs me I can’t have it. Fortunately the seller was a good guy and refunded my money right away. So now I look to Revzilla and order one for $130. It arrives in time to wrapped for Christmas, all is good, or so I thought. Christmas day, I can’t wait to see how it looks on the bike. However, I have installed a set of barkbuster hand guards (with the aluminum backbone). The damn things hit the windshield and I’m not even close to full lock position. Arrgg. So, back to the forum for some advice and of course Weljo comes through again with an older post on just my problem. The solution is a handlebar riser (anti-vib too). Just my luck Offcamber is selling one on the forum. Alright we’re on our way now. The riser arrived, well packaged and quick too, thanks OC.. Then I go to install the puppy. The allen head tool I have is metric, but it is in a “switchblade” type of set up. I bent it trying to loosen the first bolt on the handlebar clamp. Ok not a big deal I’ll just go get a hex bit socket. I go to Sears and $12.95 later I have my socket. I get it home and give it a shot. I start on the other (3) bolts before trying the first one that bent the tool earlier. They loosen up, hard to break at first but they moved. I get to the last one, and the hex bit strips out the hex in the bolt head and the sucker still didn’t budge. So, what started out as a $75 Christmas gift has become a ~$250 mis-adventure and it’s still not mounted. At this point I’m going to flip a coin to either put the other three bolts back in and live with the stock shield or go buy an easy out to try to get that bugger out as well as buy a new bolt. Nothing is ever as easy as it should be…..