Givi Windshield install gone wrong... - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-20-2013, 12:50 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Givi Windshield install gone wrong...

Just as misery loves company, people love to laugh at others mis-fortunes.. So today it is my turn in the barrel. It started with my wife asking what I would like for Christmas. I said hey I like the look of those Givi windshields for my V. Not knowing much about cycle parts, she allowed me to order what I wanted as long as she could wrap it for Christmas day. So, I find a new one on fleabay for $75 from a fellow in Western Canada (+ $10 shipping). Not a bad deal, or so I thought. In shipping the windshield to me one our finest border agents somewhere in North Dakota finds that the windshield does not have a D.O.T. sticker on it. So he promptly quarantines the offending windshield and informs me I can’t have it. Fortunately the seller was a good guy and refunded my money right away. So now I look to Revzilla and order one for $130. It arrives in time to wrapped for Christmas, all is good, or so I thought. Christmas day, I can’t wait to see how it looks on the bike. However, I have installed a set of barkbuster hand guards (with the aluminum backbone). The damn things hit the windshield and I’m not even close to full lock position. Arrgg. So, back to the forum for some advice and of course Weljo comes through again with an older post on just my problem. The solution is a handlebar riser (anti-vib too). Just my luck Offcamber is selling one on the forum. Alright we’re on our way now. The riser arrived, well packaged and quick too, thanks OC.. Then I go to install the puppy. The allen head tool I have is metric, but it is in a “switchblade” type of set up. I bent it trying to loosen the first bolt on the handlebar clamp. Ok not a big deal I’ll just go get a hex bit socket. I go to Sears and $12.95 later I have my socket. I get it home and give it a shot. I start on the other (3) bolts before trying the first one that bent the tool earlier. They loosen up, hard to break at first but they moved. I get to the last one, and the hex bit strips out the hex in the bolt head and the sucker still didn’t budge. So, what started out as a $75 Christmas gift has become a ~$250 mis-adventure and it’s still not mounted. At this point I’m going to flip a coin to either put the other three bolts back in and live with the stock shield or go buy an easy out to try to get that bugger out as well as buy a new bolt. Nothing is ever as easy as it should be…..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-20-2013, 01:46 PM

!

Damn man!!!! This really does suck.......
Sounds like you have my kind of luck
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-20-2013, 01:56 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Damn, my friend. That's an amazingly frustrating tale. I'd be blue in the face and searching for new and expressive swear words. After I calmed down I would probably go for the Easy Out (it can always be used for some future screw-up).

But, you are certainly correct that nothing is easy, especially when it comes to integrating several mods. Good luck with the uncooperative bolt. Never say die!

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-20-2013, 02:34 PM

Cut a slot in that sucker with your Dremel and back it out with a big screwdriver-
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-20-2013, 03:56 PM

Have had many projects through life just as you describe!
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-20-2013, 04:56 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stud Muffin View Post
...Nothing is ever as easy as it should be…..
I've cracked the right windshield mount on my '08, twice, riding "stutter-bumps" with a larger windshield (...in a 'spirited' fashion...). Had it welded BOTH times - LAST time we added a gusset to forestall MORE cracking.

Guess what? Looks like it's cracking once again....

Thought a steel windshield bracket (as in a Madstadt...) MIGHT just fix that 'little puppy', so I bought a lister's when it became available. Yesterday I started to install it. (I have a Nuvi 550 GPS in a 'Speedys' bracket.) CAN NOT use that bracket, so OFF it all comes, re-install the original stuff so I have the GPS, and NOW I'm looking for another GPS bracket (anyone need one of Speedy's???). I KNOW it'll all 'come-together', but right now I'm just a little "bummed".

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-20-2013, 05:31 PM

THANK YOU!!!!
I feel much better knowing it's not just me.
My first suggestion about your windshield dilemma was going to be to cut the windshield and reshape it so that it works, with the luck you are having I'm not so sure that's a good idea.
I've cut a couple of windshields down with success, that's probably what I would do (wait, that's what I have done).
I figured out many years ago that you have to be careful when you start modding vehicles because most aftermarket equipment just doesn't play nicely with other aftermarket equipment and nothing you do is free, and I'm not even talking about purchase price, I'm talking about every time you make something better, you are sacrificing something else, you just have to decide what's more important.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-20-2013, 07:41 PM

Stud Muffin

Remove one of the clamp bolts and measure the diameter of the bolt (not the bolt head).

Using a drill bit slightly larger than the bolt diameter drill into the top of the damaged bolt and continue drilling until the head of the bolt separates from the bolt. Remove the remaining bolts, clamp, handlebar, etc. and hopefully you will be able to remove the bolt with a visegrip.

An overnight soak with a penetrating oil before attempting to remove the bolt may also make removal easier.

Just my 2 cents

2008 Versys-sold
2016 Yamaha FJ-09
1988 Honda Hawk GT NT650

Truth
It is more important now than ever.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-20-2013, 08:10 PM

Not to hijack the thread but.......

FASTEDDIE

Here are some pictures of a simple mount that I made to mount my GPS with a MADSTAD bracket.

I used 3/16 aluminum sheet and cut a piece approx. as wide as the upper bracket and tall enough that I could attach a ball mount to mount the GPS. Off the top of my head I do not remember the measurments.
I sandwiched the plate between the lower and upper MADSTAD brackets.

If you want any further info PM me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1128.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	16977   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1129.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	16985  

2008 Versys-sold
2016 Yamaha FJ-09
1988 Honda Hawk GT NT650

Truth
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-21-2013, 10:06 AM

I've recently acquired a Givi touring shield and mounted it to my Madstad bracket. I noticed when attaching it that there are limits as to where I can position the shield without having the KTM handguards touch at full lock. Fortunately the spot where I figure I'll want the shield doesn't run into any contact, although I still haven't ridden with it yet (Old Man Winter is still sticking around). The Madstad does position a shield slightly more forward than the stock brackets, which may be helping my situation.

@Ziggy: Nice job mounting your GPS to a Madstad. I had considered such an approach but my middle-aged eyes do better with the screen farther away. Here's how I solved it for my circumstances: http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ead.php?t=2467 I use a long RAM arm and it positions the zumo right above the Versys dash at nearly the same focal length.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-21-2013, 11:20 AM

Bones

Nice job mounting your GPS.
I used my method due to the fact that I had the majority of the parts/materials on hand and was able to keep costs to a minimum.

I am a former BMW rider and the only thing cheap on a BMW is its rider....LOL

I also use a GIVI touring windshield/KTM hand guards for cold weather riding with no issues.
The handlebar only contacts the windshield at full lock.

2008 Versys-sold
2016 Yamaha FJ-09
1988 Honda Hawk GT NT650

Truth

Last edited by Ziggy; 02-21-2013 at 11:25 AM.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-21-2013, 11:22 AM
Super Moderator

Ziggy and Bones - MANY thanks. I'll post up some pics once I get it worked up, and as I'm getting another Madstad for my '09, I'll be doing this twice...! (Don't want a broken windshield bracket on my trip to Dawson for D2D in June.)

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-21-2013, 11:53 AM
Super Moderator

Bones - just re-read your RAM mount post, and looked at your pics (with my Madstad in hand): seems to me that you've 'widened' out the two vertical pieces to the outside set of holes on the bracket. Looks to me like your windshield has non-standard (to the OEM Versys) mounting-hole spacing. Am I right?

(I didn't get any mounting instructions with mine.)

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-21-2013, 12:19 PM

Re: Givi Windshield install gone wrong...

Fast ed: My Madstad was an engineering mule for the Versys. The PO lived near Madstad and the bracket was set at VStrom spacing because the shield Madstad used for testing was for a VStrom. When I got a small Powerbronze shield from a buddy who sold his Versys, I moved the brackets in to Versys spacing. I had to drill out one hole a tiny bit so it fit...minor. I also relocated Madstad thumbwheels to the outside where they are much easier to adjust with that RAM arm located between in the bracket arms.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode