Current Insanity Soapbox - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

Like Tree55Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-17-2020, 01:52 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Current Insanity Soapbox

Soapbox 1.

Lesson from a Honker.

Made a trip to the grocery store round 0630 this morning just to see it for myself. It looked like the Zombie apocalypse. Streets were pretty much empty but there were quite a few people shopping already. Many of the normally well stocked shelves were bare, but what was most noticeable was the the indifferent get out of my way look on the peoples faces. Fearful folks concerned there would not be enough.

Then on the way home I saw a beautiful pair of Canadian Honkers cruising just above house top level out on their morning mission...and without a care in the world. No concern about some obscure virus. No concern about where they would get their next meal or how they would pay the bills. They were doing exactly what honkers do so well...flying in perfect formation just as their creator designed them to do.

We would do well to learn the lesson of the Honker. Trusting our loving creator to take care of us and meet all our basic needs. Jesus tells us: ďTherefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes? Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life?"

Relax people. Say a prayer. Thank God for your life and quite getting all lathered up over something you cannot control. Point of fact, there is very little you can control. But if you must do something, head to the sink and wash your hands.

Soapbox 2

A Contrast of Generations

The Pilgrims braved the open seas, pirates and storms to find a new world.

The settlers traveled thousands of miles west, braving mountains, disease, cold, and starvation for the promise of a better life.

When Pearl Harbor was attacked our brave soldiers were willing to lay down their lives to insure freedom for those back home.
Those folks were people of true grit and rugged individualism. Willing to stare down the face of death itself to get the job done, and today we all are the recipients of their brave sacrifices.

Contrast those past generations with the soft underbelly of our countryís occupants today. Folks are thin skinned, easily offended and need safe spaces in which to hide. They are totally lost if, heaven forbid, the battery should die on their smart phone.

And the latest insanity is panic buying toilet paper and other goods. Many of the generations before us had never heard of a toilet, let alone toilet paper.
Imagine, for a moment, if the people of America today would have been called upon to accomplish the exploits of our past heroic generations? America as we know it would not exist.

Cookin Wid Gas

2015 V-650 of course it's green...it's a Kazawalski.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-17-2020, 08:22 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Can't do a like on my tablet, so I am just going to say "respect".
Fastoman and hawkerjet like this.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-17-2020, 08:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
My thoughts exactly. Couldn't have said it better. Funny thing is, I can remember my father saying the same things. I wonder if it's got anything to do with my getting old?
hawkerjet likes this.

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-17-2020, 10:06 PM
Super Moderator

this is what we call the New World..
onewizard likes this.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-17-2020, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastoman View Post
this is what we call the New World..
Scary isn't it ?
onewizard likes this.

Smooth is fast.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-18-2020, 07:13 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxpro View Post
Scary isn't it ?
Yes!, when we are at the mercy of so call Politician who call the shots. The country where the Virus originated has yet to totally ban wild life consumption / import and this is not the first time such virus came out from there. No lesson learned yet.

One man's meal has made the whole world sick..
onewizard and dmer like this.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-19-2020, 12:02 PM

Can you imagine what the New World will be saying regarding their future generations? If you're bored, you might watch Pixar's "Wall-E" for a bit of insight. Brave New World my backside!

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-19-2020, 09:09 PM

Garage
Well, itís day 11, since Iíve gone anywhere, except for an hour on the bike Tuesday. Not because Iím staying isolated, but because itís rained every day for 2 weeks, and I havenít been riding more.

Iím 69, live by myself in the country, and so far havenít been bothered by the panic. Iím not a prepper, by any means, but I keep enough food and toilet paper to last about a month. Itís a 30 minute trip to nearest store, so I shop ahead to prevent any needed quick trips, because I ran out of something. Iíll have to start baking my own sandwich bread within a few days, but that gives me something to do, plus Iím pretty good at bread making. If this madness goes on for months, Iíll just get some chickens for the coop and go back to having really fresh eggs. Probably plant garden next week, also.

I do feel sorry for everyone thatís been put out of work, especially the ones living check to check. Iím sure there are lessons to be learned from this, but Iíll keep my mouth shut and not preach. Some lessons are best learned by experience.

Waitiní on the boatman

post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-20-2020, 01:42 AM

Garage
if only we had some real leadership at the top......
onewizard, Fastoman, dmer and 1 others like this.

if I'm answering your question I assume the basic points have been addressed, such as: did you do a compression test? is it still on fire?
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-20-2020, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arion View Post
Can you imagine what the New World will be saying regarding their future generations? If you're bored, you might watch Pixar's "Wall-E" for a bit of insight. Brave New World my backside!
If you wanna freak out I can suggest a Korean movie called "Flu" (Gamgi). One of my friends suggested me to watch it and now I can't stop thinking about it.
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-20-2020, 07:26 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezerboy View Post
if only we had some real leadership at the top......
We do. You can learn all about him by reading the Bible.

The thing I really don't understand is why we don't react this way to the yearly flu which obviously kills a lot of people in the US every year.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden...-estimates.htm
hawkerjet likes this.

My Versys Travels:

post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-20-2020, 09:05 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post

The thing I really don't understand is why we don't react this way to the yearly flu which obviously kills a lot of people in the US every year.

Amen brother. Your voice of reason is much appreciated in these crazy times.

Cookin Wid Gas

Last edited by hawkerjet; 03-20-2020 at 09:07 AM.
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-20-2020, 09:27 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post

150% behind you, I am one of those that have always had a compromised immune system. Consider that with that lung problem, and in Ontario you need to be 65 or older to get the pneumonia shot, I qualified and got it at age 60, this covid 19 has reminded me I am due for a booster shot ( age 70 now ), which is why the age 65 is a standard as it is only good for 10 years. Having said that, I worked in numerous foundries all over Ontario working on inverters,first , many of them use a chemical called Furan, and fine silica https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j...3vTmJS2lf3PFPU when and during pouring CO-2 is given off. Yes exposed to that stuff for over 35 years. During pouring I was off the melt deck but it was in the air. When a overhead crane broke down, many times I had a full face mask on, guess what, heat rises, so does smoke, the mask only filters the air, it isn't like a Scott air pack.
So I have had the flue shot for over 15 years, many people say they don't need it, those people can be health care workers , people working in retirement homes, there is no law forcing those people to get the shot. Some years it is only 30% effective, more research is ongoing, something with nano xyz. In Ontario it is Free and yet there are people within the retirement home that my 92 year old mother is living, that refuse to get it. Something like those opposed to inoculations , they work. One thing many people are missing in all the posts here, 75 or 100 years ago, it took months to go from England to Canada, now it is done in hours. Fish that lived in other parts of the world now inhabit our great lakes , just like zebra mussels, man has created a mess. It is time to reverse it.
However my point is, my wife and three children would catch the flue, no worries, me , I came close several times to being admitted to hospital. The year I started the flue shot was the last year I got sick. Now my wife and I both get the flue shot, is my posting here going to cause anyone of you to do this? The forum is about sharing knowledge , I wouldn't be on this forum if not for @invader and his posting about the TPS, that MK-1 would have been sold within 2 months of purchase.

Last edited by onewizard; 03-20-2020 at 09:30 AM.
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-20-2020, 08:40 PM
Super Moderator

Invader, one of the many legend in the forum, was impressed with his engineering knowledge and a keen follower of invader in the forum. Sadly not much of posting from him nowadays.
onewizard likes this.
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-20-2020, 10:12 PM

Garage
sorry, if you are counting on invisible people that live in the sky you are probably screwed. that aside, countries like South Korea, Taiwan , and (that S-hole) Senegal started being proactive early. they have masks and testing a-plenty. in Senegal you can drive up in your car, get tested, and know the answer in 20 minutes. they do more every day than we have done total. this is a total failure of the systems we pay for. I don't expect government to take care of me, never have... I've been doing that for nearly 70 years, thank you very much. on the other hand, I expected them to take protective measures for our country based on the science, which clearly, they did not do. thank "dog" we are not Italy.... yet. and yes, I bought essentials 2 weeks ago to add to the normal stuff I keep on hand due to the fact that AK has more than it's share of natural disasters. I HAVE gone days with no power in sub zero (F) temperatures. I HAVE seen looting after the earthquake. I know for a fact we are only increments from cracking the neighbor's head open to drink the goop. and BTW, this 'ol Lib probably has more guns than you do too.

if I'm answering your question I assume the basic points have been addressed, such as: did you do a compression test? is it still on fire?
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-20-2020, 11:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezerboy View Post
and BTW, this 'ol Lib probably has more guns than you do too.
Guns and Laska go together like peas and carrots.

Love going shooting. Dusted a couple of ground squirrels today.
Beezerboy likes this.

Cookin Wid Gas

post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-21-2020, 12:13 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-21-2020, 05:52 AM
Super Moderator

[QUOTE=Beezerboy;1646813]sorry, if you are counting on invisible people that live in the sky you are probably screwed. that aside, countries like South Korea, Taiwan , and (that S-hole) Senegal started being proactive early. they have masks and testing a-plenty. in Senegal you can drive up in your car, get tested, and know the answer in 20 minutes. they do more every day than we have done total. this is a total failure of the systems we pay for. I don't expect government to take care of me, never have... I've been doing that for nearly 70 years, thank you very much. on the other hand, I expected them to take protective measures for our country based on the science....

The so call Invisible people didn't create this problem .but we created this mess and we need to take care of it. The Govt is just another circus in town and I like the way you handle matters- more like a Soldier of Fortune.

trust you have dusted your guns for some fun in the woods. Be safe.
onewizard and dmer like this.
post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-21-2020, 07:39 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Good Education / Surprisingly Accurate

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
wow ,

Last edited by onewizard; 03-21-2020 at 07:41 AM.
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-21-2020, 08:44 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
wow ,
That video would do more to help deal with this virus than the mainstream media with its blame game and fear mongering.
onewizard and Fastoman like this.

My Versys Travels:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode