Stupid @#$&ing pandemic - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

Like Tree347Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 221 (permalink) Old 03-17-2020, 12:52 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Stupid @#$&ing pandemic

Did my clinic run in Fresno this morning. That's my new job. Monday through Friday, up to 7 locations around Fresno.

I ended with a pickup in Clovis, and headed back to the barn. I was making great time, too. Despite being an hour late out of the warehouse and having the extra pickup, I was looking forward to getting back in time to put in an hour or two at the gym before bed.

They closed my gym.

Not just the one branch, the entire company shut down because of some stupid governor's order. I never liked that guy.

Then, I get back and they give me a placard to put in my personal vehicle windshield, which declares me a disaster relief worker, and permits me to cross roadblocks.

Versys windshields aren't big enough to place the placard behind.

Maybe the asteroid will hit after all. Why not top the week off right, eh?
onewizard, weljo2001 and kiwicraig like this.

2016 KLZ1000GBFAL
No mods yet
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 221 (permalink) Old 03-17-2020, 01:43 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Covid shutdown full on here now. I rode up to Whistler yesterday and there was zero traffic, usually its packed on the Sea to Sky highway. Im thinking for motorcycling Im not gonna have to make many changes. Only have to think on the pit stops about my hands and touching my face. This virus is not very friendly to seniors in particular.
quexpress, 52Degrees, dmer and 1 others like this.
post #3 of 221 (permalink) Old 03-17-2020, 03:01 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
State OF Emergency Declared in Ontario

All restaurants , all bars, all schools, anything with 50 or more people, our borders are closed by our Federal government, they are saying if you are a Canadian, you better skedaddle, only 4 airports allowing international flights . To enter by car, you need a immediate relative to enter, like a son or daughter. It is changing by the hour.

Last edited by onewizard; 03-17-2020 at 09:21 PM.
post #4 of 221 (permalink) Old 03-17-2020, 03:31 PM Thread Starter

Garage
The whole thing has gone nuts. Coronamageddon. And for what? How many has it killed worldwide compared to the flu numbers for this year?
jmead65 likes this.

2016 KLZ1000GBFAL
No mods yet
post #5 of 221 (permalink) Old 03-17-2020, 05:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
i just got back last nite ( 3/16/20) from a 5 day trip to Curacao, only to find all of Louisiana shut down. No gyms, schools, no sit in restaraunts, bars, etc. Bummer.
52Degrees likes this.

Jay™
2016 Versys 1000
2016 Versys 650
post #6 of 221 (permalink) Old 03-17-2020, 05:02 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Starbucks wouldn't let me sit today. Normally they're totally chatty and I can't eat before my breakfast gets cold.

2016 KLZ1000GBFAL
No mods yet
post #7 of 221 (permalink) Old 03-17-2020, 06:00 PM

They are doing what needs to be done. You don't want to see what would happen if thousands started showing up needing ICU and a respirator all at once. Patience and understanding are needed.
post #8 of 221 (permalink) Old 03-17-2020, 08:01 PM

If you look at the graphs and timelines of the countries that got hit hard, and where North America is now, it is apparent that the less contact now-the better off we'll be in a week or 10 days or so. If everyone does lay low- we might all say " well that was a nonevent" and that would be great.
Beezerboy and dmer like this.
post #9 of 221 (permalink) Old 03-17-2020, 08:10 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmer View Post
They are doing what needs to be done. You don't want to see what would happen if thousands started showing up needing ICU and a respirator all at once. Patience and understanding are needed.
What thousands would need respirators?

If the vulnerable practice social isolation like they do for the flu then the economy wouldn't be in a shambles and hourly workers with no income wondering how they are going to pay bills wouldn't have to.

Most of the vulnerable are already retired and/or isolated. The rest of us could have dealt with COVID-19 if it came to us.

Of course, if the government isn't telling us something.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 221 (permalink) Old 03-17-2020, 08:37 PM

Garage
the san francisco bay area is on shelter in place. non essentials are to be closed such as sit in restaurants, gyms, etc. gas stations, medical, cleaners, auto mechanics, sanitation works, public transportation are up and running. no traffic this morning or afternoon. hospitals are on lock down meaning if your aren't a patient you ain't gettin in. well maybe a father at birthing time or similar. the hospitals are bracing for the worst. i work at 3 hospitals that were always running close to capacity.

so what the possible scenario is goes like this...you get a large influx of patients for covid-19 and half the staff goes home not feeling well or actually really sick. staff are already stealing masks off crash carts. wild rumors fly constantly. they have set up a command center for changes coming in by the minute. the big panic for a minute was the food suppliers would run out of food. not an issue as the restaurants and hotels have stopped ordering.

at least traffic is light.
52Degrees likes this.

Dadsafrantic

2018 versys 650 lt
0 miles- 8/15/19

post #11 of 221 (permalink) Old 03-17-2020, 10:04 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
This morning found out the Gym was closed. This is getting on my nerves now.
Interstate travel ban and restrict on movement.
52Degrees likes this.
post #12 of 221 (permalink) Old 03-17-2020, 10:11 PM Thread Starter

Garage
That's true... Traffic is light out here, too. I didn't notice until I was headed home from work, since the rest of my travels are in the dead of the night.

Still not happy about my gym closing, though. I was finally just getting to feel well enough to get going again after being sick for the last week.

There are rumors going around that the California National Guard is on east standby, which is why I'm required to carry the placard with me now.

We'll see how it goes, though. I don't expect this will turn out to be much of anything in the end, but the thought of a minor disease that is selectively lethal to 95% of politicians in congress and the senate isn't exactly on my list of worst things that could happen in this country. Lol.

Maybe my load will be extra heavy tonight. I'll be in a better mood with some kind of exercise.

2016 KLZ1000GBFAL
No mods yet
post #13 of 221 (permalink) Old 03-17-2020, 10:16 PM
Super Moderator

Kijiji Canada

Some greedy people , so there is a warning on kijiji;

Important information about listings associated with COVID-19

We have been monitoring the community response to the outbreak of COVID-19 in Canada. Based on user feedback, and to curb pricing practices that run counter to the community-minded spirit of Kijiji, we will temporarily ban listings for health care masks including N95/N100 and surgical masks, hand sanitizer/gel, disinfecting wipes and toilet paper.

We will continue to monitor the evolving situation and quickly remove any listing that mentions COVID-19, coronavirus, or 2019nCoV (except books) in the title or description.

We encourage users to continue to flag any ads they deem incorrect, misleading or deceptive to our Help Desk team.
Beezerboy, quexpress and 52Degrees like this.
post #14 of 221 (permalink) Old 03-18-2020, 05:29 AM

Garage
Covid-19

Writing from Pune/Maharashtra/India.

Max cases in my state. A few fatalities too.

The state govt is mulling a complete lockdown on Italian lines, as urged by the medical authorities. As usual, the politicians aren't listening and all trains are still fully functional - suburban, long distance, everything. No ban on long distance bus services too. I fear we are sitting on the edge of the abyss, peering in.

To all seniors aka sexagenarians and above: please stay at home. Let this phase pass and you can ride double the time and distance then. But please sit this one thru. Your advanced age makes for lowered immunity and this makes you the most vulnerable after babies and toddlers.

BTW, ballasted my 2019 ride with 15 kg + 15 kg of sand in the saddle bags, 7 kg in the tail bag and 4 kgs in the tank bag to check if the rear damper will behave well.

And the bike's behaviour had changed completely. Earlier, it had wanted to throw me off at even the lowest preload setting. Now, with the preload dialled in by 14 clicks, it was behaving like a 1200 GS. No changes in the front fork settings. A change of tyres to TIMSUNs will make it quite a good and real adv bike.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200311_1623111.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	167711  
onewizard, Fastoman and 52Degrees like this.

“The safety, honour and welfare of your country come first, always and every time.
The honour, welfare and comfort of the men you command come next.
Your own ease, comfort and safety come last, always and every time.”

~Field Marshal Sir Philip Chetwode, GCB, OM, GCSI, KCMG, DSO

Last edited by oliverider; 03-18-2020 at 05:33 AM.
post #15 of 221 (permalink) Old 03-18-2020, 07:54 AM

COVID is not a flu. The death rate is around 10x of the flu (yes, like 0.5% for young and healthy ppl, compared to 0.05%, but it's 10x nevertheless) and it spreads much faster. There's also no herd immunity, since it's too novel for our organisms to know how to defend against (almost everyone exposed gets ill, compared to the flu) and no vaccines. Combine all those and consider the exponential behavior of all infections, and you can understand how this is potentially several orders of magnitude worse than flu epidemics. Even if it doesn't have the capacity to kill you, it's still a very, very serious thing.

Worst case scenario if we follow the rules - we unnecessarily miss a couple of weeks of gyms and get to sit at home more. Worst case scenario if we don't, 2-4% of entire populations dead (with a 5% death rate averaged across all age groups and predicted 40-70% infection rate without vaccines). Like, every 1 in 30 people you know. How many dead would that be in your work, school, social circle?

I'm not fear mongering, there's no need to panic or buy out toilet paper, but just sit this one out, respect what needs to be done.

2015 Versys 650
post #16 of 221 (permalink) Old 03-18-2020, 08:28 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I get what you're saying, and I even agree to some degree.

But, I want my gym time and I'm not happy about it. Lol.

On the other hand... California could use some thinning. I mean, not too be crass, but seriously.
onewizard, Fastoman and oliverider like this.

2016 KLZ1000GBFAL
No mods yet
post #17 of 221 (permalink) Old 03-18-2020, 09:23 AM
Super Moderator

Keep Those Cards & Letters Coming

Well at 70 I decided that the Gear Brake sensor was a good idea, I just installed the slipper clutch and am excited to try it out, if the snow and freezing rain decides to stop. Since my bike is a maze of wiring, I thought using my Polaris wiring technique would be much easier, it was. So we are at a point in Ontario that all restaurants and bars are closed, only drive through food establishments . Well the fact I have a hearing loss of 27 DB at 1500 HZ , yes the frequency of the female voice. Didn't you hear what I said#$&*@!, yes , many guys think that is funny, you got your hearing aids in?? WTF , you ride with hearing aids in, sure I pull up to the drive through at Mac's and yell into the mike, maybe I can take a dry marker and one of those dry marker boards and write my order on it. Naw that won't work, where do I put my gloves? Oops dropped my glove and a car is about to drive over it.
I changed my brake fluid, surprisingly the front was pretty good, the rear looked like maple syrup, the kind used for cooking ( dark maple syrup , labeled for cooking only) I used both a vacuum brake bleeder and the old method of applying pressure to the brake and cracking bleed screw. I liked the vacuum better.
Forget it, I will pack a lunch and avoid the public, look out, you need to be blind not to know I am engine braking or stopping.

Hey guys keep posting, I will get my popcorn out and sit back, I just need a night above 3'C and daytime temp of 6'C and I am out of here.
quexpress and 52Degrees like this.
post #18 of 221 (permalink) Old 03-18-2020, 09:27 AM Thread Starter

Garage

2016 KLZ1000GBFAL
No mods yet
post #19 of 221 (permalink) Old 03-18-2020, 12:19 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Two earthquakes and numerous aftershocks this morning. 5.7 was the biggest. We're fine at the house here, which is built like a tank with lots of steel to the latest earthquake standards. Down in the valley my kids are saying it was quite a good ride, waking everyone up and knocking some stuff onto the floor. We only had a coffee scoop slide off of a shelf. SLC airport is shut down and evacuated with damage to the control tower and the backup facility. SLC center also reported off line. Some damage to the old terminal building (major new terminal construction about half completed).

No significant injuries reported.

What a crazy month we're having!

It doesn't appear there is any consideration being given to the serious consequences of the economic damage being done wrt Covid. Shutting down the economy will result in deaths and misery too. I am not convinced the balance is right in what is being done. We dealt with previous serious viruses intelligently, protecting the vulnerable. Politics and media mass hysteria seems to be driving the agendas.
onewizard and 52Degrees like this.
post #20 of 221 (permalink) Old 03-18-2020, 12:41 PM
Super Moderator

More Closures

Just in, The Bay and other large department stores are closed immediately, out walking the dog, I could lay down and have a snooze on one of our majot roadways, where you need to use a crosswalk to safely cross. Very peaceful, apparently there are many things in place to help those out of work, been there many times while a apprentice, is it equal to working Absolutely Not, they say the wait time is waved** you ever deal with the government, 6 weeks is fast. You live from paycheck to paycheck, how many people realize you need a bank account to cash a check, you don't have enough money for a bank account, go to one of those cash your check payday lone guys, yes , something like Kijiji put a stop to, praying on the most vulnerable. One of my daughters worked in a bank for a long time, she quit because she was to sell stuff to those that could least afford it. How many are aware that getting a statement is a chargeabe service? Those rich guys ask, no problem sir , here you go, while a supervisor is watching over my daughters shoulder, hey perfectly OK to give the rich guy something for free, we wouldn't want him to take his millions else ware . But wait, the guy cashing his check with $50 in his account, wants to see where all his money went, that will be one dollar sir. Many times my daughter would print it out and whisper here you go have a nice day.
So the city is shutting down, it is getting crazier , crash carts in hospitals are missing protective gloves, they are asking for blood donors. They are asking for calm and to stop panic buying of masks and gloves.
My concern is the next thing, those gas stations with the inside kiosk to buy lottery tickets etc. may get shut down. That means no public washrooms anywhere, today they updated the boarder closing between Canada and the USA, more definition , but time is ticking away. It might get like in Australia with the fires, best to sit it out, because travel could be more dangerous. I can immagine the right to carry in the USA , and road rage Corona 19 rage.

TTYL
Came up with more bike wiring,not taking the gas tank off, just one wire needed.
52Degrees likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode