Stupid @#$&ing pandemic - Page 2 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

Like Tree386Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 245 (permalink) Old 03-18-2020, 12:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I think there's quite a bit consideration given to the economic side of things by the politicians (who are lobbied by the businesses). They wouldn't shut down anything if they didn't really need to.

The thing is, if we don't shut down and don't stop the spread of the virus, the economic damage due to loss of life and health will most likely be even greater. The total casualties of WW2 amount to around 3% of the 1940 world population, which is around the predicted worst case scenario of COVID. Granted, today we'd be losing the old and sick rather than the young and strong, and there would be no carpet bombing, but still the economic cost of that is massive and disruptive, especially considering how interconnected today's world is, and how much of the economy is based on services and intellectual work rather than factories. Keeping non-essential businesses closed for a month doesn't seem that bad in comparison.

Who knows, afair some economists even suggested that such "economic culling" may end up re-evaluating companies, bursting some bubbles and maybe even be a net positive in the long run. Otherwise, those bubbles would need to be burst by your run-of-the-mill crisis - those things need to happen one way or another every now and then. Maybe it's better that this pandemic hit us now, we've been overdue for a depression cycle.
onewizard and 52Degrees like this.

2015 Versys 650
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 245 (permalink) Old 03-18-2020, 12:54 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
I couldn't use the restroom at a store I bought something from. Guess what... I used the ground next to my truck. Didn't have another option. Store guy came out and caught me in the act.

That's what happens when you deny someone access to basic plumbing. I just hope I don't get in trouble for it.
onewizard, kiwicraig and kardan like this.

2016 KLZ1000GBFAL
No mods yet
post #23 of 245 (permalink) Old 03-18-2020, 01:23 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Well it is 12 000 km on clock, and I need to take my motorbike to service guy to make regular service.
After that country can close every store except petrol station, and I will be happy.

I am young (only 28 years), and I am not afraid of this corona, last time I was sick before 12-13 years (flu). I have really strong immune system.
All my friends get flu every year, and I still go to they house to visit them, and I never get flu, never.
I travel to work almost 6 years with train (disease on wheels, many trains are 30 year old, and some about 40 year old, very poor maintenance), in winter it is not train it is flu train (LOL) but again nothing to me.

My fear is my parents (60 and 62 years) if they get corona, they immune system isn't best.

I just wish make service so I can drive without thinking next 6000 km about service.

I don't know how is in USA and Canada, but here in Europe country start little by little introducing quarantine (forbiden this, forbiden that, bla bla bla)

I am faster than corona on my V650, she can't catch me

Gas for heating, diesel for plowing, electricity for cooking, petrol for driving
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by kardan; 03-18-2020 at 04:37 PM.
post #24 of 245 (permalink) Old 03-18-2020, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post

Most of the vulnerable are already retired and/or isolated. The rest of us could have dealt with COVID-19 if it came to us.
Dealt with it, or spread it? You can transmit it even with no symptoms. And note, 2 Drs in Wuhan died from it, both were 29....and a 3rd one, was 33. It's not just the elderly. It's nice to be young, and invincible, until you're not.
post #25 of 245 (permalink) Old 03-18-2020, 06:41 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Thumbs up The Power of Social Distancing

For more information, see:

This graphic perfectly explains why social distancing is so important right now

I still have a full deck.
I just shuffle slower.
post #26 of 245 (permalink) Old 03-18-2020, 06:55 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Big_Mac_ View Post
COVID is not a flu. The death rate is around 10x of the flu (yes, like 0.5% for young and healthy ppl, compared to 0.05%, but it's 10x nevertheless) and it spreads much faster. There's also no herd immunity, since it's too novel for our organisms to know how to defend against (almost everyone exposed gets ill, compared to the flu) and no vaccines. Combine all those and consider the exponential behavior of all infections, and you can understand how this is potentially several orders of magnitude worse than flu epidemics. Even if it doesn't have the capacity to kill you, it's still a very, very serious thing.

Worst case scenario if we follow the rules - we unnecessarily miss a couple of weeks of gyms and get to sit at home more. Worst case scenario if we don't, 2-4% of entire populations dead (with a 5% death rate averaged across all age groups and predicted 40-70% infection rate without vaccines). Like, every 1 in 30 people you know. How many dead would that be in your work, school, social circle?

I'm not fear mongering, there's no need to panic or buy out toilet paper, but just sit this one out, respect what needs to be done.
Please list your sources. Otherwise, I believe you are fear mongering.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #27 of 245 (permalink) Old 03-18-2020, 07:06 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmer View Post
Quote:

Most of the vulnerable are already retired and/or isolated. The rest of us could have dealt with COVID-19 if it came to us.
Dealt with it, or spread it? You can transmit it even with no symptoms. And note, 2 Drs in Wuhan died from it, both were 29....and a 3rd one, was 33. It's not just the elderly. It's nice to be young, and invincible, until you're not.
Many believe those two worked in the lab experimenting with COVID-19. I would like to see their WHO conducted autopsy.

How do you explain all the people who fully recovered.

How do you explain why we didn’t do this reaction when previous novel viruses spread around the world?

How do you explain not taking this level of precaution all the time since the World Health Organization estimates an average of 500,000 people die every single year from the flu?

My Versys Travels:

post #28 of 245 (permalink) Old 03-18-2020, 07:09 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
We're all going to die someday. No sense in worring about it...When your number is up its up....

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein

Last edited by weljo2001; 03-19-2020 at 11:48 AM.
post #29 of 245 (permalink) Old 03-18-2020, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Please list your sources. Otherwise, I believe you are fear mongering.

The seasonal flu has a fatality rate of less than 1%. Dr. Anthony Fauci, the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, estimates that the flu fatality rate is closer to 0.1%. But even accounting for the mild, yet undiagnosed cases of COVID-19, he said last Wednesday, it would still make it “roughly 10 times more lethal than the seasonal flu.”

That is apparently "best case scenario", as he said the death rate in China was between 3 and 4 %, and Italy was 7.9% https://news.yahoo.com/one-chart-sho...185900633.html
onewizard likes this.

Last edited by dmer; 03-18-2020 at 08:49 PM.
post #30 of 245 (permalink) Old 03-18-2020, 09:13 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Listen & Respond

This is like a practice run on a nuclear explosion. I take the reaction in the USA initially was, no worries we will just bring our people home. Not taking sides here, just a observation, trump asking on camera, hey the flu vaccine will work right? NO
Presently it was announced on my local TV that there is a call out for N95 masks, a phone line to call and arrange for a drop off. The Harveys Swiss Chalet sent out this ;

Through this time, we look forward to serving you and your family with our trusted take-out, pick-up, drive-thru, and delivery channels. We have introduced further safety precautions to limit the interactions between Guests and Associates, including new contactless delivery and curbside pick-up services.

NEW! Contactless Delivery
• Request contactless delivery, when you pay ahead by credit card or gift card.
• We encourage all Guests to avoid paying at the door during this time

How To Use Contactless Delivery When Ordering
• By phone, specify the safe place where you would like your Driver to drop off your order.
• By mobile app/website, specify your desired drop-off location and instructions.

Here’s how: Settings (gears icon) > “My Account” > “Preferred Delivery Address” > “Edit” > “Instructions”. Please be specific about your desired drop-off location and instructions.

NEW! Curbside Pick-Up
• Order and pay-ahead and have curbside pick-up!
• When you arrive, look for our curbside number posted on our door, call to announce your arrival and we’ll be right out.

Sealed Food Bags
• We continue to seal our take-out, pick-up, and delivery bags. Plastic bags will be tied tightly to reduce unnecessary exposure and contact. Paper bags will be sealed with a sticker.
• If your order arrives without these safeguards, please call us toll-free at 1-866-439-0439 or 416-439-0439.

We Encourage All Guests To Go Cashless
• As always, we have pre-payment options available to reduce physical cash or payment terminals changing hands.
• Ordering by mobile app/website, during the check-out process select “Pay Now” to add your credit card details.
• Ordering by phone, ask your friendly customer service agent to add a credit card to your Account.

Thank you for your continued support. We look forward to bringing some joy to your mealtime.

The Swiss Chalet Team

So some people may look outside and see a free meal sitting on their door step
quexpress likes this.
post #31 of 245 (permalink) Old 03-18-2020, 09:46 PM

Just like our bodies are “different” after having a viral infection, I can’t stop thinking about the changes we may see in society after this is all over. Things that are already in motion will be speeded up like working at home (for those who can), remote learning, fewer eat in restaurants/more order out, and so on. I’m also wondering if this becomes the death knell for movie theaters and smaller local restaurants (hope not). Also worried about the economic carnage that this has created. Interesting times ahead.
twowheeladdict likes this.
post #32 of 245 (permalink) Old 03-18-2020, 10:15 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Lack Of direction / Time Travel

Quote:
Many believe those two worked in the lab experimenting with COVID-19. I would like to see their WHO conducted autopsy.

How do you explain all the people who fully recovered.

How do you explain why we didn’t do this reaction when previous novel viruses spread around the world?

How do you explain not taking this level of precaution all the time since the World Health Organization estimates an average of 500,000 people die every single year from the flu?
I am not sure about the why or end result of any of your questions if one attempted to answer or debate . What I know is if we had the ability to slow down time, say 1 day could be 1 month. It would then be feasible to say in our slowed down world that in 12 to 14 days we have a vaccine , it takes two weeks to build a immunity after the vaccine. So my electrical mind at work is assuming that if the world works together at this, we could slow it down to the point that a vacinne be available.Remember the ratio of health care workers isn't 50 / 50 to the rest of the working population. So from what I can gather, intelligence is using a model they tried out last year. Reduce exposure , reduce death , listen. If you have a solution speak up. What I heard today is Ontario put up 300 more phone lines for https://news.ontario.ca/mohltc/en/20...resources.html . Our prime Minister had his wife come down with Covid 19, he self isolated, he did not get tested, he is suggesting to follow direction, use the test kit only if you are ill. What I saw on Buffalo news last week was people driving across state to get these test kits, it looked like the fire evacuation in Australia. Chance are good that between the mental and physical stress , chances are good that some of those people contracted covid 19.

I can relate to the former SARS epidemic, I was in emergency with a shop rag on my head, I needed six stitches, I sat there for 3 hours, all those people sick, I ended up calling my doctor and going there, I bled another two hours before he stitched me up. All the time I had a co-worker with me, it was a industrial accident, I sent him back to the job site and told him I would call for a ride, it was the end of the work day when I was discharged from the doctors office. Right now they are erring on the side of caution. Any updates or news is probably welcome to others. I for one have only one suggestion, in Canada we seem to have some really smart people, I am listening to them. When this is over , some things worked, some things not so much. My wife suggested I carry a empty large mouth bottle with me if I go for a ride.You figure it out.
When the person that dies is someone significant, the question why visitors were allowed may come up, no going back in time. Been there done that. There will be lots of analysis after, right now there is over $100 billion coming to help people in Canada and companies affected by this, the list is long. If someone is about to be evicted, that is frozen, a long list, protection for mortgage holders, no one will lose their job , those companies will be given monetary help per person affected. Like I said a long list.
So my very first sentence, I have no answer for your questions. I am limiting my contact with others, but do a 2 to 3 km walk each day with the dog.
quexpress and 52Degrees like this.

Last edited by onewizard; 03-18-2020 at 10:19 PM.
post #33 of 245 (permalink) Old 03-19-2020, 12:48 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
I gotta ask... What's the bottle for? I know you said to figure it out, but I'm coming up short.

As far as the rest, it's the zombie apocalypse out here. And now there's not one, but THREE asteroids having toward earth.

Maybe one could hit Las Angeles. At least then we'd have something to show for the trouble.
dmer likes this.

2016 KLZ1000GBFAL
No mods yet
post #34 of 245 (permalink) Old 03-19-2020, 03:58 AM

Well nothing from my service at 12 000km (which should be tomorrow)

The government in Croatia has ordered a closure for the next 30 days for all except the grocery stores, pharmacies and shop similar to that.

Now we will see what will be after this 30 day.
I hope I can go 1500-2000km above recommended for service, because of warranty.

EDIT : just got mail from service, they say no problem if I make 2000km more. Lets ride after job

Gas for heating, diesel for plowing, electricity for cooking, petrol for driving

Last edited by kardan; 03-19-2020 at 04:17 AM.
post #35 of 245 (permalink) Old 03-19-2020, 06:04 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmer View Post
The seasonal flu has a fatality rate of less than 1%. Dr. Anthony Fauci, the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, estimates that the flu fatality rate is closer to 0.1%. But even accounting for the mild, yet undiagnosed cases of COVID-19, he said last Wednesday, it would still make it “roughly 10 times more lethal than the seasonal flu.”

That is apparently "best case scenario", as he said the death rate in China was between 3 and 4 %, and Italy was 7.9% https://news.yahoo.com/one-chart-sho...185900633.html

I don't believe those numbers are the same. The flu numbers don't just take into account those who tested positive for the flu. If they did, you would see the flu death rate higher as well.

If you look at a chart of countries that have tested many people like South Korea, you will see the death rate very low for COVID-19.

I agree that we should limit the number of deaths, but why do it this way instead of quarantining the retirees and most vulnerable?

I am doing my part and practicing social separation so don't think I am saying this is a hoax or anything like that. I just think that the press is presenting the numbers in a way to create panic.
onewizard and Fly-Sig like this.

My Versys Travels:

post #36 of 245 (permalink) Old 03-19-2020, 06:05 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 52Degrees View Post
I gotta ask... What's the bottle for? I know you said to figure it out, but I'm coming up short.

As far as the rest, it's the zombie apocalypse out here. And now there's not one, but THREE asteroids having toward earth.

Maybe one could hit Las Angeles. At least then we'd have something to show for the trouble.
So he doesn't have to use a public rest room?
onewizard likes this.

My Versys Travels:

post #37 of 245 (permalink) Old 03-19-2020, 06:11 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post

right now there is over $100 billion coming to help people in Canada and companies affected by this, the list is long.
Are they printing it, or is it coming from the taxpayers?

Well, at least gas prices are down. I don't have to commute to work, so I can get out for a ride this afternoon.

I am even practicing social separation from my wife for a while since being in hotel rooms among who knows for many weeks and I would feel bad if I gave something to her.

I currently have some pain in my lower lungs that I am hoping is just pollen, but I could be one of those undiagnosed persons who doesn't feed into the statistics.
onewizard likes this.

My Versys Travels:

post #38 of 245 (permalink) Old 03-19-2020, 06:27 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
One positive side: in a very short time air pollution is lower, and if industries remain shut down and air travel is greatly reduced for several more months, the rate will improve even more dramatically.

https://www.space.com/italy-coronavi...te-images.html
onewizard likes this.

Observations on life and motorcycling, short stories and photos, with no annoying political or religious rhetoric
post #39 of 245 (permalink) Old 03-19-2020, 07:04 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Are they printing it, or is it coming from the taxpayers?

Well, at least gas prices are down. I don't have to commute to work, so I can get out for a ride this afternoon.

I am even practicing social separation from my wife for a while since being in hotel rooms among who knows for many weeks and I would feel bad if I gave something to her.

I currently have some pain in my lower lungs that I am hoping is just pollen, but I could be one of those undiagnosed persons who doesn't feed into the statistics.
Hope its nothing serious. You take care man. Your throat should be in trouble before the lungs. I really pray for the safety of all. Just something we don't need in life is given FOC and the consequence is far more life threatening.
onewizard likes this.
post #40 of 245 (permalink) Old 03-19-2020, 07:31 AM

Quote:

I agree that we should limit the number of deaths, but why do it this way instead of quarantining the retirees and most vulnerable?

I am doing my part and practicing social separation so don't think I am saying this is a hoax or anything like that. I just think that the press is presenting the numbers in a way to create panic.

The Media makes many mountains out of molehills, granted. I must assume that Dr. Fauci and all the Medical professionals know what they're talking about. If it's all overblown, so be it. But it seems best to err on the side of caution, when considering past epidemics killed hundreds of millions.

Now the good news: Temps in the mid 60's today and tomorrow here in Ohio, so if the rain cooperates, I may be able to escape my confinement, and get some much needed riding time!!
onewizard likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode