Test Rode the Livewire today. OMG! - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-21-2020, 08:00 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Test Rode the Livewire today. OMG!

That bike is insane!

I stopped in my local dealer on the way home from the Gulf and they told me to take the demo bike for a ride. The owner walked by and said "go have fun!" He knew I wasn't a buyer because of my back, but he knew I wanted to experience it.

Man oh man! What a ride!

The closest I can equate this bike to would be a 1000cc supersport in second gear once the RPMs are above 5000. Twist the throttle and GO! Close the throttle and slow down. Repeat.

It felt like I hit 90 in the blink of an eye. The more you twist the more it wants to pull your arms out!

It is definitely sprung for the twisties. Just lean it over and go.

I also played with it on the MSF course behind the dealership. Very controllable and nimble.

The dealer had the garage door to the showroom open and I crept into the showroom with feet on the pegs at maybe 1/2 mph. Very balanced. Two ladies saw me and smiled while the guy facing them had no clue I was behind him. I considered hitting the horn, but thought better of it.

If I were 30 years younger with my current income I would have one of these bikes.
onewizard and Tcruarceri like this.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-21-2020, 08:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
The Zeros are much better priced but I think the livewire is the best looking electric bike yet. Shame none of the other big bike companies seem to have any competition on the way. Glad to hear it was a nice ride but at that price Iím not surprised the sale numbers have been underwhelming.
Smiley likes this.

2018 Versys 650 ABS
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-21-2020, 09:10 PM Thread Starter

Garage
If I were seriously considering a purchase I would investigate all the offerings carefully. Harley could end up being the better value, but.more than I'm willing to spend.

My Versys Travels:

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-21-2020, 10:01 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Because the cost of fuel isnt as big of an issue with motorcycles compared to cars it will take a while to catch on. As well as the range on our "freedom machines",we just wanna get up and go without thinking about super-charging stations. But you save on fuel right away and probably the real kicker is engine maintenance costs which are substantial in time and dollars as we all know. Theres nothing to an electric motor,10,000 hrs straight up. Bigger washing machine motor. The torque is insane,no gears. No noise, might be a stretch for Harley people! Will all the straight-pipers begin to see the futility? That said, I think I have a perfect combo, Kawi 650 and an electric trail bicycle!
quexpress likes this.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-22-2020, 06:58 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaaklucas View Post
Because the cost of fuel isnt as big of an issue with motorcycles compared to cars it will take a while to catch on. As well as the range on our "freedom machines",we just wanna get up and go without thinking about super-charging stations. But you save on fuel right away and probably the real kicker is engine maintenance costs which are substantial in time and dollars as we all know. Theres nothing to an electric motor,10,000 hrs straight up. Bigger washing machine motor. The torque is insane,no gears. No noise, might be a stretch for Harley people! Will all the straight-pipers begin to see the futility? That said, I think I have a perfect combo, Kawi 650 and an electric trail bicycle!
An electric trail bicycle will definitely be in my future if I am physically able to ride a bicycle when I retire. There are a lot of nice trails that allow bicycles, but not motorcycles. Using the pedal assist and not riding too fast would keep the haters off your back.

As far as the Harley loud pipe crowd, if they were into sport bikes they would already have a loud Ninja 1400 in the garage. This is meant to bring in the techies, the thrill seekers, the stealthy riders. You can accelerate from zero to illegal in a flash and no one notices.

My Versys Travels:

post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-22-2020, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
An electric trail bicycle will definitely be in my future if I am physically able to ride a bicycle when I retire.
Im 65 this year and bicycling has kept me able to carry on physically like a younger man. In fact I depend on it to keep my weight down a
nd my heart strong. Walking is underrated exercise as well. The whole idea of E-bike is pedal assist, still gotta pedal. I have a simple manual setup, a throttle that can add power. I dont have the endurance like when I was young so I cheat a bit with electric. I still ride regular bicycle as well but my recovery time is longer every year. The pedal assist opens up new possibilities, its a cross between a bicycle and a motorcycle. The motorcycle is for my mind, the pedal bike is for my body!
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-22-2020, 03:23 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I have driven the Fiat 500 electric and the Tesla. Both very impressive until.... Mr. current leaves the building.

Sorry I'm just not an electric fan. When they develop a battery that will go all day and charge in 10 minutes I will listen.

By the way electric is not zero emission. Your typical electric is actually a coal and natural gas powered vehicle with a little wind, solar, hydro electric, and nuclear tossed into the mix.

Then there is the super toxic waste problem with all those "green" battery's.

And heaven forbid if you should get in a wreak cuz those cute little battery's can and will explode and burn is punctured. Plus they are a BIG safety hazard if Mr. Fireman has to cut your carcus out of your twisted vehicle. Slice thru one of those high amp power cables and your jaws of life and you just got electrocuted similar to the electric chair.
twowheeladdict likes this.

Cookin Wid Gas

2015 V-650 of course it's green...it's a Kazawalski.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-22-2020, 04:13 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkerjet View Post
I have driven the Fiat 500 electric and the Tesla. Both very impressive until.... Mr. current leaves the building.

Sorry I'm just not an electric fan. When they develop a battery that will go all day and charge in 10 minutes I will listen.

By the way electric is not zero emission. Your typical electric is actually a coal and natural gas powered vehicle with a little wind, solar, hydro electric, and nuclear tossed into the mix.

Then there is the super toxic waste problem with all those "green" battery's.

And heaven forbid if you should get in a wreak cuz those cute little battery's can and will explode and burn is punctured. Plus they are a BIG safety hazard if Mr. Fireman has to cut your carcus out of your twisted vehicle. Slice thru one of those high amp power cables and your jaws of life and you just got electrocuted similar to the electric chair.
I don't think any intelligent person would think that electric power is green. Even Solar, Wind and Hydro have their issues and impact on the environment.

Yes, they have a ways to go. But that doesn't stop me from enjoying the ride on someone else's 'motor'cycle, or motor driven car. The Tesla in full power mode will put your internal organs against your back.

Like any other new technologies and innovations there has to be early adopters or it won't go anywhere.
hawkerjet likes this.

My Versys Travels:

post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-23-2020, 12:25 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Been to Alaska SIX times by bike, as well as cross-Canada and back. Stopping every couple of hundred miles to fill-up the gas tank, then continuing for another couple hundred works for me. NO places to charge your batteries along roads I've been on....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-23-2020, 05:18 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Been to Alaska SIX times by bike, as well as cross-Canada and back. Stopping every couple of hundred miles to fill-up the gas tank, then continuing for another couple hundred works for me. NO places to charge your batteries along roads I've been on....
Kinda of a Duh statement there Eddie. We all know the intended purpose of the livewire is NOT to ride to Alaska.

Like riding a tour de France bike on a downhill mountain bike course.

Wouldn't want to do it on my Van Van 200 either.

There are actually bikes out there people just ride for the fun of riding them.

The ZRX1200 is one of them. My Moto Guzzi V7III is another.

Of course my buddy rode his ZZR600 everywhere, except water crossings.
Smiley likes this.

My Versys Travels:

post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-24-2020, 11:26 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
...There are actually bikes out there people just ride for the fun of riding them....
Such as EVERY motorcycle I've had, plus the fact that I can ride them to Alaska IF I want to, or anywhere else that there's a road to.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-24-2020, 03:22 PM

I can hardly wait to see "Long way up" to see how they did it

Versys 2015 Green
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-24-2020, 06:07 PM

all electrics are years out (imho)-- pricey, battery takes too long to charge and short ranges--too much hassle for now
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-24-2020, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chid View Post
I can hardly wait to see "Long way up" to see how they did it
They didnt make it more than 150 miles a day till they got to the US, and carried backup power in their support vehicles. Gonna be interesting to see how they portray the charging challenges and slow progress because of it when it airs.

2016 Versys 650LT - Madstad, T-Bob, LeoVince, SeatConcepts, HyperPro CSC Damper, Shoodabeen Flashed
2003 KLR 685 - +1mm IN & EX SS valves P&P, Innovate Wideband O2 Sensor, Progressive 465 w/ RAP, ThermoBob
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-24-2020, 09:27 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Cannon View Post
all electrics are years out (imho)-- pricey, battery takes too long to charge and short ranges--too much hassle for now
But we need those early adopters to keep the manufacturers moving forward and pushing the technology. They are already talking Graphene technology in cell phone batteries. Hopefully it will scale up to motorcycles.

My Versys Travels:

post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-25-2020, 12:56 AM

Electric vs. Fossil fuel. Hmmm...this issue seems to be split demographically based on when you were born. No surprise here my fellow grumpy geezers who like me are riding off into the sunset on our 2 wheelers. Move over for the younger people who have to clean up this polluted planet. Starting with the air. Especially burning coal for energy. Even the people in Virginia dont want it anymore. Before the dino-fueled industrial age, Oil was something that came from killing whales that we hunted to near extinction. Meanwhile, as the graybeards here piss and moan about the good old days Tesla has taken over as no 2 automaker in the world, love it or hate it. Despite open-sourcing all the Tesla patents a few years ago! The technology is so simple yet Musk needed to kick-start the reluctant competition. They have been putting in supercharging stations at a high rate around N. America. So sorry gas guys, the young generation love it. Yea, its cool to them like I-phones but they also see it as a solution for sustainable energy in general at the present time. It works, makes sense and its coming faster than you think. That said, I just put insurance on my Kawi after winter hibernation and Im gonna get out and burn some gas!
post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-25-2020, 04:17 AM

Let's keep in mind that there aren't two camps, the grumpy boomers and overenthusiastic youngsters. There's a vast middle ground of rational people in between, many of which say something to the effect "EVs are a great idea but can't replace my gas vehicle yet". Or "I'll keep driving a gas vehicle until EVs solve this, this and that".

The arguments are well known and there's no point in reiterating them. I'm just pointing out that we should recognize a spectrum of valid opinions.

I believe most people are actually somewhere in the middle, the early adopters and the "real bikes burn fuel" die-hards are probably both vocal minorities.
quexpress likes this.

2015 Versys 650
post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-25-2020, 06:35 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
There are rumours that HD plan to draw more of their traditional riders into the Livewire camp by adding an exhaust soundtrack and a PA system to the bike.

It is said to be potato powered.

Observations on life and motorcycling, short stories and photos, with no annoying political or religious rhetoric
post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-25-2020, 08:40 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiley View Post
There are rumours that HD plan to draw more of their traditional riders into the Livewire camp by adding an exhaust soundtrack and a PA system to the bike.

It is said to be potato powered. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forums/images/KawasakiVersysForum_2015/smilies/tango_face_devil.png[/IMG]
Bad attempt at a joke. The best jokes are self deprecating, not attacking others.

In case you didn’t know, Ford is already putting engine sound through the speakers on their gas powered mustang GT.

If Harley wanted to convert the traditional riders, they would make an electric bike with cruiser ergonomics. Since the traditional riders are already buying Harleys, they would be the last ones to draw into electric.

My Versys Travels:

post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-25-2020, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaaklucas View Post
So sorry gas guys, the young generation love it. Yea, its cool to them like I-phones but they also see it as a solution for sustainable energy in general at the present time.
Us millennials might like the idea of electric everything transportation, but we sure arent the generation that can afford it.

I have doubts that electric vehicles are quite the sustainable gem they are portrayed to be. A transparent supply chain and an established battery recycling industry would go a long way to making claims about sustainability true.That and ya know a power grid supplied by clean energy...

2016 Versys 650LT - Madstad, T-Bob, LeoVince, SeatConcepts, HyperPro CSC Damper, Shoodabeen Flashed
2003 KLR 685 - +1mm IN & EX SS valves P&P, Innovate Wideband O2 Sensor, Progressive 465 w/ RAP, ThermoBob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode