Test Rode the Livewire today. OMG! - Page 2 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-25-2020, 02:06 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
Bad attempt at a joke. The best jokes are self deprecating, not attacking others.
Thank you for the education as to what is the best humour, although I've yet to see even a weak spark of joy in anything you post.
SouthernCruizer likes this.

Observations on life and motorcycling, short stories and photos, with no annoying political or religious rhetoric
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-25-2020, 03:22 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by asphaltaddict33 View Post
Us millennials might like the idea of electric everything transportation, but we sure arent the generation that can afford it.

I have doubts that electric vehicles are quite the sustainable gem they are portrayed to be. A transparent supply chain and an established battery recycling industry would go a long way to making claims about sustainability true.That and ya know a power grid supplied by clean energy...
Seems like EVs have to be dressed up as luxury high tech spacepods to sell to the market here. A basic commuter car like in the Chinese domestic market is whats needed, a peoples car. EVs in China used to be the cheap alt. for the poor people. Plug in at home after work. No ones giving up cars especially in the smog choked asian mega cites. Ebicycles are taking over here in Vancouver with the younger city commuters, way to go for me too. I was skeptical when I bought my Ebike, all I can say is I cant believe how good and simple the tech is. And tech is my farkles. Running system and battery untouched in 4 years now. I ride alot, battery still okay for a while longer. Capacity gradually shrinks after a few years on a bike. In a Ecar, its paying up front for the fuel. Its a lot cheaper than gas , motors just keep going forever. And something thats important to me is not supporting the places in the world that are the biggest oil producers, social structures that make me wince.
We recycle all batteries here just like all electronics. Your country doesnt? In fact its illegal to throw them out here. Toxic and stuff like cobalt and other precious metals are expensive. All car type batteries have a pre-paid recycle fee, get $10 when you return it when it dies. Put it in the lane and its gone! Lithium,a key element in rechargable is abundant. Solar energy grids....now with the idea of mega-battery storage of power it makes sense in grids. Rechargable battery tech is the game of the century. Even hydro damming has consequences,messing with Mother Nature. 2020 nuclear, in my opinion is under-rated but has a bad name from old facility primitive early tech and used fuel rods, hard sell for govts. Not as good as stuff like solar, wind or wave with battery storage though. Solar...harnessing an ever-present constant thermo-nuclear fushion power source. Beautiful! The simplest solution for a lot of the planet who dont have much rain and flowing water. Or a pot to piss in. It works now despite all the skepticism, thats why it is worthy. Digging up carbon deep in the earth and releasing it into the air is what fueled the industrial age. Releasing it into the air we depend on for all life now is catching up with us.
Smiley likes this.

Last edited by jaaklucas; 02-25-2020 at 03:36 PM.
post #23 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-25-2020, 05:06 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiley View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
Bad attempt at a joke. The best jokes are self deprecating, not attacking others.
Thank you for the education as to what is the best humour, although I've yet to see even a weak spark of joy in anything you post.
Did you consider what you wrote a spark of joy? You find it joyful to cut down others choices in motorcycles? My joy comes from actually riding and it doesn’t matter what it is as long as I am riding.

You should see me anticipating a ride, riding, and soon after the ride is over to see real joy.

Forums are just a way to hopefully share that joy with like minded riders who are not caught up in only one bike is good enough to own.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #24 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-25-2020, 05:12 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaaklucas View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by asphaltaddict33 View Post
Us millennials might like the idea of electric everything transportation, but we sure arent the generation that can afford it.

I have doubts that electric vehicles are quite the sustainable gem they are portrayed to be. A transparent supply chain and an established battery recycling industry would go a long way to making claims about sustainability true.That and ya know a power grid supplied by clean energy...
Seems like EVs have to be dressed up as luxury high tech spacepods to sell to the market here. A basic commuter car like in the Chinese domestic market is whats needed, a peoples car. EVs in China used to be the cheap alt. for the poor people. Plug in at home after work. No ones giving up cars especially in the smog choked asian mega cites. Ebicycles are taking over here in Vancouver with the younger city commuters, way to go for me too. I was skeptical when I bought my Ebike, all I can say is I cant believe how good and simple the tech is. And tech is my farkles. Running system and battery untouched in 4 years now. I ride alot, battery still okay for a while longer. Capacity gradually shrinks after a few years on a bike. In a Ecar, its paying up front for the fuel. Its a lot cheaper than gas , motors just keep going forever. And something thats important to me is not supporting the places in the world that are the biggest oil producers, social structures that make me wince.
We recycle all batteries here just like all electronics. Your country doesnt? In fact its illegal to throw them out here. Toxic and stuff like cobalt and other precious metals are expensive. All car type batteries have a pre-paid recycle fee, get $10 when you return it when it dies. Put it in the lane and its gone! Lithium,a key element in rechargable is abundant. Solar energy grids....now with the idea of mega-battery storage of power it makes sense in grids. Rechargable battery tech is the game of the century. Even hydro damming has consequences,messing with Mother Nature. 2020 nuclear, in my opinion is under-rated but has a bad name from old facility primitive early tech and used fuel rods, hard sell for govts. Not as good as stuff like solar, wind or wave with battery storage though. Solar...harnessing an ever-present constant thermo-nuclear fushion power source. Beautiful! The simplest solution for a lot of the planet who dont have much rain and flowing water. Or a pot to piss in. It works now despite all the skepticism, thats why it is worthy. Digging up carbon deep in the earth and releasing it into the air is what fueled the industrial age. Releasing it into the air we depend on for all life now is catching up with us.
Unfortunately all power sources have their negative issues. The production of solar panels is dirty. We just have to weigh the good verses bad and make informed decisions. Of course the Canadians stand to gain when the natural cycle of the earth tends towards warming. There will be a migration north.
asphaltaddict33 likes this.

My Versys Travels:

post #25 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-26-2020, 03:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
I seriously doubt there is as much negative impact developing and producing batteries as producing gasoline. the main point is... we gotta start somewhere, and it will get better over time. this is proven, no matter the technology or industry. but then, every technology runs its course. fossil fuels have reached the point where it is on the back side of the curve... technology isn't going to produce miracles in this field. it may get incrementally better but I think further gains to be had are small. electric power and batteries on the other hand are just getting started. EVERYBODY is getting in... there is a lot of potential left, its just getting started. the world moves on....
Smiley and jaaklucas like this.

if I'm answering your question I assume the basic points have been addressed, such as: did you do a compression test? is it still on fire?
post #26 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-26-2020, 05:25 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezerboy View Post
I seriously doubt there is as much negative impact developing and producing batteries as producing gasoline. the main point is... we gotta start somewhere, and it will get better over time. this is proven, no matter the technology or industry. but then, every technology runs its course. fossil fuels have reached the point where it is on the back side of the curve... technology isn't going to produce miracles in this field. it may get incrementally better but I think further gains to be had are small. electric power and batteries on the other hand are just getting started. EVERYBODY is getting in... there is a lot of potential left, its just getting started. the world moves on....
They mine the materials that go into batteries. They have to process those materials. They have to dispose of the waste created in the process of making those batteries. They have to deal with the used up batteries.

They are on a search and destroy mission for Lithium. Saw an itchy boots episode where the local salt miners are upset that lithium was found under their salt lake and are fighting the foreign companies that want to come in and mine the Lithium.

I camped next to a retired fossil fuel energy employee a few weekends ago and got quite an education on how they are looking to get every last drop of oil out of deposits.

My Versys Travels:

post #27 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-26-2020, 08:31 PM

Garage
I'm well aware that to mine, refine, manufacture, and dispose of these materials is another problem. in a way its a trade off of one pollutant for another. something has to be done about C02. personally I think it's too late, what we need to do is figure out how to deal with whats happening. and, we knew 30+ years ago this was going to happen. the first time I heard the phrase "global warming trend" was from an oilfield geophysicist working on Alaska's North Slope (I was finishing a Bachelor of Science with a minor in geology). I did an internship and part of the job was assist in collecting a correlating core samples. one of the things he was tracking permafrost depth and distribution. he also talked about the number of exploration days available because you simply can't drive on the tundra when it's thawed. according to him at the time (mid 80s) we had lost about a week of exploration. that affects everything up there, all the logistics etc. anyway the transition between glacial and interglacial is non-linear... it gets warmer/cooler, up and down while generally moving in or out of glacial periods. in those days we were supposed to be getting colder, but we weren't, and the permafrost samples were telling the story. he said he thought something was going on, but we need maybe another decade of data before I will worry. well we blew right by that. it never reversed.... Alaska has been getting progressively warmer. no question about it, the data is there. my personal observations from nearly 70 years living here leaves no doubt in my mind. petro product engines aren't going away soon, but electric is going to overtake them eventually. the technology will grow. look how far the petro industry came in 150 years
jaaklucas likes this.

if I'm answering your question I assume the basic points have been addressed, such as: did you do a compression test? is it still on fire?
post #28 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-26-2020, 09:04 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
I seriously doubt there is as much negative impact developing and producing batteries as producing gasoline.
Not to mention the air pollution. Especially diesel. Living next to a main road in a city or a highway is medically similar to smoking. More and more people do especially in big cities. No 1 air polluter in Vancouver, 2.8 million, is vehicle exhaust. We dont have any heavy industry to blame. When its hot in the summer,we get smog. Its all from cars and trucks. Freight trains have no emission controls that I can see, they belch black clouds right downtown. So clean up the air, thats a good place to start. This one task alone will take take generations with all the power the oil industry has. People want to argue about climate change as if all the pollution we make isnt important enough.
post #29 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-26-2020, 11:36 PM

Garage
and anyone younger than about 60ish would never have seen or remembered how polluted America was in the 60's to mid 70's. if was friggin' horrible. I have stories

post #30 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-28-2020, 05:00 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
I'm well aware that to mine, refine, manufacture, and dispose of these materials is another problem. in a way its a trade off of one pollutant for another. something has to be done about C02. personally I think it's too late, what we need to do is figure out how to deal with whats happening. and, we knew 30+ years ago this was going to happen. the first time I heard the phrase "global warming trend" was from an oilfield geophysicist working on Alaska's North Slope (I was finishing a Bachelor of Science with a minor in geology). I did an internship and part of the job was assist in collecting a correlating core samples. one of the things he was tracking permafrost depth and distribution. he also talked about the number of exploration days available because you simply can't drive on the tundra when it's thawed. according to him at the time (mid 80s) we had lost about a week of exploration. that affects everything up there, all the logistics etc. anyway the transition between glacial and interglacial is non-linear... it gets warmer/cooler, up and down while generally moving in or out of glacial periods. in those days we were supposed to be getting colder, but we weren't, and the permafrost samples were telling the story. he said he thought something was going on, but we need maybe another decade of data before I will worry. well we blew right by that. it never reversed.... Alaska has been getting progressively warmer. no question about it, the data is there. my personal observations from nearly 70 years living here leaves no doubt in my mind. petro product engines aren't going away soon, but electric is going to overtake them eventually. the technology will grow. look how far the petro industry came in 150 years
You do know the climate has been changing since before the word climate was created.
I do not trust that man has had a major influence on it, nor can stop the natural change without mucking something else up and still not stop the natural change.

Now reducing actual pollutants I am definitely in favor of.

My Versys Travels:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode