Aussie fire conditions?? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

Like Tree32Likes
  • 3 Post By onewizard
  • 4 Post By Brockie
  • 1 Post By dmer
  • 2 Post By fasteddiecopeman
  • 2 Post By jaaklucas
  • 2 Post By Brockie
  • 2 Post By jaaklucas
  • 1 Post By dmer
  • 4 Post By twowheeladdict
  • 3 Post By Brockie
  • 1 Post By hawkerjet
  • 1 Post By jaaklucas
  • 3 Post By fasteddiecopeman
  • 2 Post By kiwicraig
  • 1 Post By Brockie

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-03-2020, 11:41 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Aussie fire conditions??

I know Brockie is from Australia, are there many others? Curious if the fires are as bad as media is showing? Looks to be disastrous? Hope all are safe!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-03-2020, 12:20 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Worse
I have a relative in OZ , right now she is on the Colorado River , rafting, she was in Tasmania , however her in-laws are just north east of Melbourne. New South Wales has declared a 7 day state of emergency. https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/02/austr...cli/index.html I was there in 2013, many roads are flanked by trees and there are more tracts than roads in OZ , so escape by road is at present very dangerous.

There is a tourist leave zone;
https://twitter.com/NSWRFS/status/1212336600853733376

To make matters worse, there is a fuel shortage in some areas and no power, warnings have been issued about leaving without sufficient fuel .

Last edited by onewizard; 01-03-2020 at 12:32 PM.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-03-2020, 12:32 PM Thread Starter

there's a slideshow with lots of pics toward the end of that link. Wow, truly looks like hell on earth. So sad.
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-03-2020, 12:37 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Canadians Helping

Firefighters from several provinces have been sent to help.
https://vancouversun.com/news/more-b...alia-wildfires
Smiley, Brockie and dmer like this.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-05-2020, 01:43 AM

Garage
It is a disaster. I am way north of where the current hotspots are but for the three weeks before Xmas I could not see the horizon for smoke. Sometimes visibility was down to 2-3 kms. There were at the time some 70 fires in Queensland alone. The closest was 15kms east but the dangerous, larger fire was 30 kms west, and there was another 35-40 kms north-east.

The Firies have been run ragged for weeks, and the Rural Fire Service is mostly staffed by volunteers.

The recent out of control area are the fires in south east NSW, including a beautiful coastal town called Batemans Bay. I have been there. A river comes out to the coast, the main road is a bridge across the river mouth, the town is full of cafes, the river marina full of boats and yachts. Its a pretty spot. Last night and the night before the population spent the night camped on the beach. Some could not leave anyway as their vehicles had no fuel. The electricity is also out and the town was in darkness.

Today the smoke returned to my valley. I wonder where it is from?

The danger is widespread through many states and is not over exaggerated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fires2.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	166879  

2017 Kawasaki Versys-X 300; 2010 Suzuki V-Strom 650; 1988 Suzuki GSXR1100J
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-05-2020, 07:13 AM Thread Starter

The last update I saw said 20 dead, and the wildlife #'s were staggering. Hoping for a miracle. I can't even imagine the long term consequences!
Smiley likes this.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-05-2020, 12:58 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Be safe all you "down under" folks!
Smiley and Brockie like this.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-05-2020, 02:00 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
We in the western part of N. America got a taste a couple of years ago of what happens when you have high summer heat, drought with strong winds and one spark in the wrong place. But nothing like what they're getting in Oz right now. Temperature in the 40s C and no rain in sight. Even if you get rain in that heat you need tons as there will be lightning and new fires combined with quick water evaporation. Their traditional fire season hasnt even started yet. The scariest thing Ive seen on the news from there are the "firenados", everything combines and its created its own optimum environment to super-burn, becoming a "living" thing. The folks there are looking for some help from Mother Nature and I sure hope they get it.
onewizard and dmer like this.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-05-2020, 05:04 PM

Garage
I am way south of the fire zones (approx 440klms from the nearest fire) however this morning went outside and could smell smoke. Have a friend who is driving fron Victoria to Central New SOuth Wales Coast (avoiding the fire zones) - yesterday was driving through a town called Glenrowan (approx 170klms from nearest fire zone) - took the attached picture as they were driving..

So yes - the country is burning.

THis gives an current indication of the locations of fires: https://myfirewatch.landgate.wa.gov.au/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SMoke .jpg
Views:	33
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	166905  

Last edited by bigman66; 01-05-2020 at 05:10 PM.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-05-2020, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman66 View Post
I am way south of the fire zones (approx 440klms from the nearest fire) however this morning went outside and could smell smoke. Have a friend who is driving fron Victoria to Central New SOuth Wales Coast (avoiding the fire zones) - yesterday was driving through a town called Glenrowan (approx 170klms from nearest fire zone) - took the attached picture as they were driving..

So yes - the country is burning.

THis gives an current indication of the locations of fires: https://myfirewatch.landgate.wa.gov.au/
In a bizarre twist here in our long hot summer of fires we found that the smoky haze actually helped cool things down by blocking the sun. But breathing that stuff day after day was awful and dangerous to some. Very hard on the eyes too.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-05-2020, 09:26 PM

Garage
When you look at that map you have to believe that we are doing something wrong.

There has for some time been debate on hazard reduction burning. Sure, we are in a drought (I have not mown my yard since August 2018!) but there is much talk about historical aboriginal burning practices where they would burn off grass regularly, without harming the trees - which had the twin effects of clearing accumulated fuel, and encouraging new grass growth which would then attract the animals and aid hunting.

Then there is the Greens political party which advocates the shutting down of huge tracts of reserves to preserve them for future generations. The state governments are constantly attacked on ecology issues. That they also wish to spend less also adds to the lack of activity and hazard reduction. So access to vast areas of "reserve" becomes limited as the tracks become overgrown.
onewizard and Mattias like this.

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-05-2020, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockie View Post

There has for some time been debate on hazard reduction burning. Sure, we are in a drought (I have not mown my yard since August 2018!) but there is much talk about historical aboriginal burning practices where they would burn off grass regularly, without harming the trees - which had the twin effects of clearing accumulated fuel, and encouraging new grass growth which would then attract the animals and aid hunting.
Very good point, controlled burning just like the fire-fighters do in an emergency. When the Chilcotin area here in B.C. was burning it turned out that the local indigenous people in that area have been doing that very thing regularly. Burnt ground fuel also fertilizes the soil for strong growth.Their authority on their land superseded the govt. fire avoidance laws and practices but I cant remember the outcome.
onewizard and Brockie like this.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-06-2020, 08:56 AM Thread Starter

A few facts from a story this morning, describing the devastation, and it is truly heartbreaking:

"About 480 million animals have died across NSW, professor Chris Dickman with the University of Sydney, estimates. "The true mortality is likely to be substantially higher than those estimated," the university said in a statement.
Almost a third of koalas in NSW may have been killed in the fires, and a third of their habitat has been destroyed, said Federal Environment Minister Sussan Ley.
In December, the smoke in Sydney was so bad that air quality measured 11 times the "hazardous" level.
In total, more than 14.7 million acres have been burned across the country's six states. That's larger than the countries of Belgium and Haiti combined.
Just in NSW, there have been more than 1,300 houses destroyed and 8.9 million acres scorched."
onewizard likes this.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-06-2020, 05:55 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaaklucas View Post
Very good point, controlled burning just like the fire-fighters do in an emergency. When the Chilcotin area here in B.C. was burning it turned out that the local indigenous people in that area have been doing that very thing regularly. Burnt ground fuel also fertilizes the soil for strong growth.Their authority on their land superseded the govt. fire avoidance laws and practices but I cant remember the outcome.
There are actually species of plants / trees that require fire to release their seeds and start new growth. Humans wrongly think they can play god with the planet.

My Versys Travels:

post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-10-2020, 01:24 AM

Garage

And a little Aussie humour-

(look at the fencing wire, or overhead supply wires, just lying around.)
onewizard, jaaklucas and Mattias like this.

Last edited by Brockie; 01-10-2020 at 01:26 AM.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-10-2020, 09:37 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
It's very tragic what's going on in Australia with all the fires. I remember living in Socal and just about every time the dry desert Santa Ana winds would develop so would several fires. Often times the fires were deliberately set. Looks like this may be the case in Australia as well.

People who participate in this kind of criminal behavior should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law and perhaps sterilized so they cannot reproduce.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/07/austr...rnd/index.html
onewizard likes this.

Cookin Wid Gas

2015 V-650 of course it's green...it's a Kazawalski.
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-10-2020, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
There are actually species of plants / trees that require fire to release their seeds and start new growth. Humans wrongly think they can play god with the planet.
Many of the native pines here need fire to trigger the seeds to be released from the cones. The extreme heat melts their sap enclosures I think. Mother nature has its own system of working with fires. In the words of Buffy St. Marie, "Mother Nature is perfection". This is one of the most profound statements Ive ever heard, something we need to learn to navigate our future here. As far as humans and fires, we are all over our overcrowded planet now and we need those trees. Think how hot those burned out forest areas will be next year without shade, and more heat is one thing this planet doesnt need at this time. I know what you mean about us playing God but in a way we must now I think. First we have to respect the planet as a species, its more important than dollars. One of the craziest things Ive ever seen.... riding down from snowy Mt. Rainier during our long hot dry burning summer two years ago east into the Yakima valley,always one of the hottest places around. They just had grass fires all over. The fields were black and charred except for the blue Sage bushes. They survived!
twowheeladdict likes this.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-10-2020, 02:48 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkerjet View Post
...People who participate in this kind of criminal behavior should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law and perhaps sterilized so they cannot reproduce....
I AGREE w/ you, but BETWEEN the eyes w/ something in .44 or .45 caliber!

Fly-Sig, hawkerjet and Mattias like this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-12-2020, 12:47 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
The Aussie fires are so bad that we get the smoke here in NZ.Some days visibility is down to 2km.We are over 2000km from Oz.Smoke is being seen in Chile on the other side of the Pacific.How far? look on a world map.
onewizard and Mattias like this.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 06:46 AM

Garage
NASA has predicted that the smoke from Aussie bush fires will circle the globe. https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-01-...-says/11863298
Our pleasure to aid global cooling.
Mattias likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode