ANNOUNCEMENT: Personal experience with Spot - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

12Likes
  • 2 Post By 52Degrees
  • 2 Post By Skypilot 69
  • 1 Post By Fastoman
  • 1 Post By hawkerjet
  • 1 Post By 52Degrees
  • 1 Post By hawkerjet
  • 1 Post By 52Degrees
  • 1 Post By asphaltaddict33
  • 2 Post By asphaltaddict33

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-24-2019, 03:19 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Personal experience with Spot

I recently bought a (supposedly) new/open box Spot1 on a popular auction site. Turns out the unit was defective, but I had no way of knowing until AFTER I'd ponied up $169 for the subscription.

Anyway, I called Spot tech support to find out why I couldn't connect, and had a really great experience with them. They explained in great detail what I needed to do, and walked me through the diagnostic process to determine the root of my connectivity issues.

When it was determined that I had a defective unit, they offered to sell me a Gen3 at a greatly reduced price, and suggested I return the defective unit to the seller, which I will do as soon as I receive a shipping label.

My New Spot Gen3 arrived just as I was heading out the door for work yesterday. I ran back in and called Spot for my upgrade, and was back out the door 10 minutes later. Very quick, extremely professional service, with no upsales attempts of any sort.

Got my initial satellite lock in the yard at work (nothing but sky), and tossed the unit on the dash as I did my deliveries.

What a great tool for the adventure rider. I can send a check-in message, there's a custom message I've set up to tell the wife in heading home, another "HELP" button that sends a message saying I'm OK but I need help that goes to everyone in the house, live tracking, and, of course... SOS.

The web portal is easy to use and understand.

The entire experience (with Spot) has been so positive, I just had to tell everyone I can.
weljo2001 and silviefox like this.

2016 KLZ1000GBFAL
No mods yet
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-24-2019, 07:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Nothing better than being a happy camper. Glad you shared this info with us. After all isn't that what a forum is for.
Fastoman and 52Degrees like this.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-24-2019, 09:47 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Thanks for the info and write-up. You must be extremely happy with the device as I see your long write up.
52Degrees likes this.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-25-2019, 10:01 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Glad you are OK.

When I first saw the title of your post I was thinking you hit a dog.

These are pretty scary. Chick in the 2nd vid is obviously following way too close, not to mention she could easily have missed her fellow rider by putting a wheel on the shoulder of the road. Ugh.

52Degrees likes this.

Cookin Wid Gas

2015 V-650 of course it's green...it's a Kazawalski.

Last edited by hawkerjet; 09-25-2019 at 10:08 AM.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-25-2019, 10:28 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkerjet View Post
Glad you are OK.

When I first saw the title of your post I was thinking you hit a dog.

These are pretty scary. Chick in the 2nd vid is obviously following way too close, not to mention she could easily have missed her fellow rider by putting a wheel on the shoulder of the road. Ugh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12Kyd2htJLc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Q6mRPP1_58
Ha! I know my humor is a little strange, but I don't think I'd have phrased it quite like that

I mean, unless the dog's name was ACTUALLY Spot. Lol!
hawkerjet likes this.

2016 KLZ1000GBFAL
No mods yet
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-25-2019, 03:09 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 52Degrees View Post
Ha! I know my humor is a little strange, but I don't think I'd have phrased it quite like that

I mean, unless the dog's name was ACTUALLY Spot. Lol!
Yea I was thinking of a generic term for the K-9, like Spot, Rover, Fido, etc.

Regardless that is a pretty gnarly video. I worry more about animals than I do cars. You look for cars on the pavement whereas animals can come from anywhere suddenly.
52Degrees likes this.

Cookin Wid Gas

2015 V-650 of course it's green...it's a Kazawalski.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-25-2019, 03:24 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkerjet View Post
Yea I was thinking of a generic term for the K-9, like Spot, Rover, Fido, etc.

Regardless that is a pretty gnarly video. I worry more about animals than I do cars. You look for cars on the pavement whereas animals can come from anywhere suddenly.
I can't imagine the way that lady felt as she failed to avoid hitting the second rider. How terrible for her.

Reminds me of a funny story, though... Neighbor had this cat that used to find ways into my garage and use it as a litter box.

One day, as I approached my driveway in my wife's minivan, I saw the cat sitting in my parking spot with its back to me.

Did I mention I hated this cat?

Well, I certainly wasn't willing to pass up an opportunity to scare the crap out of it.

So, I gassed it a little and dropped the van into neutral, so I could coast right up on it nice and quiet.

The one thing I didn't know... That particular cat paint job is also strongly associated with deafness.

On the plus side... No more cat crap in my garage.
hawkerjet likes this.

2016 KLZ1000GBFAL
No mods yet
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-26-2019, 11:43 AM

Good for you for carrying a personal location beacon. They have come a long way since the first generations so getting a Gen3 was a good decision.

I use an InReach Mini, Garmin owned product now, and its very similar to Spot. I had a misfortune of needing to activate the SOS function once and was very glad I had that option available, popped right clavicle in middle of nowhere off-road in TX.

Make sure you carry it on your person, not stashed in a bag on the bike, in an accident where you are separated from the bike, and injured you'll want that sucker in your pocket, not a tank bag!
52Degrees likes this.

2016 Versys 650LT - Madstad, T-Bob, LeoVince, SeatConcepts, HyperPro CSC Damper, Shoodabeen Flashed
2003 KLR 685 - +1mm IN & EX SS valves P&P, Innovate Wideband O2 Sensor, Progressive 465 w/ RAP, ThermoBob
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-26-2019, 01:20 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by asphaltaddict33 View Post
Good for you for carrying a personal location beacon. They have come a long way since the first generations so getting a Gen3 was a good decision.

I use an InReach Mini, Garmin owned product now, and its very similar to Spot. I had a misfortune of needing to activate the SOS function once and was very glad I had that option available, popped right clavicle in middle of nowhere off-road in TX.

Make sure you carry it on your person, not stashed in a bag on the bike, in an accident where you are separated from the bike, and injured you'll want that sucker in your pocket, not a tank bag!
I need to sew a velcro patch onto all my gear to attach it with. Yesterday, it was attached to my phone mount as I had no other workable options.

2016 KLZ1000GBFAL
No mods yet
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-26-2019, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 52Degrees View Post
I need to sew a velcro patch onto all my gear to attach it with. Yesterday, it was attached to my phone mount as I had no other workable options.
Giant Loop makes a 'tracker packer' that holds your device, you can wear it as an armband or fasten to a backpack strap. Mine lives on my small camelback backpack strap, and they are available from Amazon

Not free but an immediate solution I couldnt resist
dadsafrantic and 52Degrees like this.

2016 Versys 650LT - Madstad, T-Bob, LeoVince, SeatConcepts, HyperPro CSC Damper, Shoodabeen Flashed
2003 KLR 685 - +1mm IN & EX SS valves P&P, Innovate Wideband O2 Sensor, Progressive 465 w/ RAP, ThermoBob
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-06-2019, 03:26 AM

Garage
i like my gen3. i used it for a saddle sore ride so the event people can track you. you can also use the spotwalla app on your phone. good luck with that in the sierras or the like.

i've used it on road trips and offroad trips in the 4x.

Dadsafrantic

2018 versys 650 lt
0 miles- 8/15/19

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode