Hearing Protection - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

12Likes
  • 1 Post By Fastoman
  • 2 Post By Fly-Sig
  • 1 Post By Craigar
  • 2 Post By _Big_Mac_
  • 1 Post By Smiley
  • 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman
  • 1 Post By hurricanebob
  • 1 Post By _Big_Mac_
  • 1 Post By kardan
  • 1 Post By Fly-Sig

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 12:22 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Hearing Protection

I've been trying to find custom earplugs because I've been having some issue with my ears the past couple of months and just stumbled upon this pair of filtered custom earplugs on YouTube. They are made by a company called Big Ear and I checked their website and the products they have look great IMO. Anyone tried their products before? Oh! by the way, I still need your suggestions and recommendations if you guys have any. I just can't decide what to buy at the moment.

Thanks in advance!

Believe in yourself, and the rest will fall into place. Have faith in your own abilities, work hard, and there is nothing you cannot accomplish.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 01:49 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
I use foam material , which you compress and fit to your ears. Cheap and very effective. But if you are commuting to work daily better to get some good quality ones. And on the same, if your have ear problem, better to get a good quality helmet with good sound protection.

One more item that you will need if you are on your bike daily is a "Kidney Belt" as it safe you hips and hold you kidney in position during rides.

https://motor-riders.com/2018/12/07/...cycle-helmets/

https://motocrossactionmag.com/do-ki...s-really-help/

Take care and be well.
LPadilla34 likes this.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 08:38 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I just use Spark Plugs brand foam earplugs. They have a very high rating and they fit my ears well. Different brands have different shapes and don't necessarily fit everyone's ears.

The custom molded plugs get dirty with ear wax. They need to be washed frequently. Molded plugs can also let some noise in around the outside. Getting it to fit snugly but comfortably can be tricky. I'm a pilot and wear in-ear style headsets all day at work. Years ago pilots wore custom molded earplug headsets but those are rare now because of the dirtiness and noise leakage.

Something soft made out of foam or silicone will need to be replaced periodically, but is cheaper and tends to work better once you find the ones that fit your ear best.

Personally I want maximum attenuation. I don't want any noise to get through to damage my hearing. It may not be legal in some places due to stupid outdated laws aimed at car drivers, so research what is legal where you will be (if you care). I can hear better with the plugs in because the noise is filtered out. If I can't hear it with the plugs in while moving, I wouldn't hear it without the plugs. I don't have many conversations with plugs in and helmet on, which would be the only time I can think of when plugs aren't helpful.

Jmho from someone with hearing damage from years of airplanes, guns, and motorcycles. Protect your hearing as a #1 priority.
16VGTIDave and LPadilla34 like this.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 10:47 AM

Garage
I have used Big Ear for many years. Up until one fell out of my hand and dropped into a storage drain.
They are spendy but worth it in my opinion. I am using foam right now.
If you find a rep in AZ. Let me know, as I would go and get another pair made myself.
LPadilla34 likes this.

It's been swell, but the swelling has gone down.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 01:00 PM

I've never tried custom molded plugs but I remember reading basically what Fly-Sig is saying - in theory, they're a great idea, in practice they don't work well. Also, consider that your ear shape changes minutely as you ride - due to heat, blood circulation, some swelling in the helmet etc. It's a very thin line between a molded plug fitting perfectly and not fitting at all.

I ride with those generic foam plugs you can buy at a pharmacy or a tools store, they work fine.

I tried Alpine MotoSafe Pro plugs once, they were ostensibly designed with motorcycling in mind (while still being general-purpose fit), they were worse than the cheap foam stuff.

Also, you'll lose a plug every now and then, and it'll happen in the middle of a long tour. That's basically guaranteed by the laws of the universe. So I just take a handful of extra foamies on every trip. An added bonus is you can comfortably sleep with them when your riding buddy is snoring.
Smiley and LPadilla34 like this.

2015 Versys 650
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 03:38 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Many threads on this topic.

https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...ear-plugs.html

https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...rotection.html

https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...ml#post1317937
LPadilla34 likes this.

Observations on life and motorcycling, short stories and photos, with no annoying political or religious rhetoric
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 04:55 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
I spent the $$$ to get custom ear-plugs, but they ended up hurting my ears during rides, so I went back to my foam STANLEY ear-plugs (a combination of hi-vis green and red colors), good for a 32 Db sound attenuation.

Haven't re-used the custom ear-plugs....

LPadilla34 likes this.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 09:37 AM

I use Westone Tru Universal Fit -16db rated earplugs which cost about $45. These earplugs use filters which allow sound through full-frequency at a lower level. (every 10db reduction cuts the volume by 50%). I am a musician and had custom-made earplugs at -15 db rating for years, which worked great, though after about ten years they did not fit well any longer as the shape of my ear canal had changed. I decided to buy the Westone's and am very happy with them for the price, and use them while riding the Versys. I find the 15db reduction more than sufficient, plus you can still hear. You only realize how well they are working when you remove them. Foam earplugs do not filter sound, they block it at -30 to -33db, which is great for power tools, weed whackers, shooting guns, and jack hammers, etc. Filtered earplugs are superior when you still want to be able to hear clearly, just at a lower volume, and the universal fit type are affordable compared to the cost of having custom earplugs made. They are also available in -20 and -25 db ratings.
LPadilla34 likes this.

Last edited by hurricanebob; 09-05-2019 at 09:45 AM.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 11:58 AM

I guess it's a matter of taste. I don't care much about having properly filtered, clear sound. It's not like you're trying to hear music on the stage, you're just gonna get wind noise. The more of that you block, the better

Those Alpine MotoSafe plugs had -20db reduction. And those are the ones with proper filters, you can tell the sound is clearer. The company also makes these for musicians, I wouldn't be surprised if they were the same thing, just rebranded. I'm still using them on small race tracks, where average speeds are fairly low, but on a highway I'll always go for the -34db foamies. Power over finesse in that scenario.

Note, this depends much on the wind protection you get on your bike. If you manage to get a windshield that puts your head entirely in the still air bubble, you can get away with much less sound deadening.
LPadilla34 likes this.

2015 Versys 650
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 12:53 PM

I use foam earplugs, but I use bike from home to work everyday in last 1 month, so that foam start to somehow iritating my ear and hurting my ears.
I need see with shop who create hearing aid, they can take mold of my ear and create from silicon earplugs for everyday use, just wash them and it is ready again. I don't know how big price is, but i am shure that it will be best solution.
LPadilla34 likes this.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 04:45 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricanebob View Post
Filtered earplugs are superior when you still want to be able to hear clearly, just at a lower volume, and the universal fit type are affordable compared to the cost of having custom earplugs made. .
I have several different brand of musician earplugs to wear at concerts. The difference in clarity between them and regular foam is huge. NRR is weighted for more attenuation of higher frequencies, so the musician style plugs carry a lower NRR because they let more of the highs through. Thus you can't really compare how quiet earplugs will be just based on NRR, especially if you are looking at some form of filtered, hi-fi, or musician earplugs.

These days I am happy to have total sound blockage when doing noisy things. Hearing damage is cumulative, and even at modest sound pressure levels there can be additional increments of damage. Once damaged it is easier to do more damage. I have less tolerance for loud noises now even though my ears are less sensitive than they used to be.

Bottom line is I suggest maximum noise reduction when you're in a loud environment. Your older self will thank you in 20 more years!
LPadilla34 likes this.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 05:13 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I use the plain foam ear plugs,and keep replacing them.After they get all grubby,i use them on my fish hooks as an extra lure.The yellow ones work best.

Happy Riding
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode