Hawkerjet Back Surgery Update - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

22Likes
  • 10 Post By hawkerjet
  • 1 Post By dmer
  • 6 Post By Fly-Sig
  • 1 Post By Duffy
  • 1 Post By hawkerjet
  • 1 Post By twowheeladdict
  • 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman
  • 1 Post By Shibumik

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 08:03 PM Thread Starter

Hawkerjet Back Surgery Update

It's been about 8 weeks since my spinal decompression surgery. Recovery was excellent til day 10 when I reached out to the side to close the door on my truck and tweaked something in the surgery area. 2 weeks later trying to scoot forward in a chair further aggravated things.

Symptoms now are much worse than before the surgery. Burning numbness in both feet going up to my knees. Numbness in my butt too.

Wish I had not done the surgery at this point...but time will tell.

I did take a ride on the bike a couple of days ago. Stood on the pegs every time I came upon a bump in the road. I know where every bump is within 100 miles of home. Not sure how this is going to play out going forward. At this point probably won't ride the bike all that much.

If you are thinking about back surgery I would think twice. I should have followed my own advise and wisdom. A couple of thoughts on the subject.

1. It's hard to beat factory equipment.

2. Don't go under the knife unless you just cannot live with the pain and discomfort any longer.

3. Back surgery is nothing like other procedures and the result is much more uncertain. I know cuz I found out the hard way.

Cookin Wid Gas

2015 V-650 of course it's green...it's a Kazawalski.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 08:27 PM

Garage
Hope things change for the better. I've had people tell me I'm crazy for not getting my knees and hip replaced. But I'm just not going to do it...

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 08:39 PM

Garage
Sorry to hear. What are the doctors saying?

I guess I should have tried the epidural shots first before jumping into surgery myself. Doctor said it was a simple procedure and didn't really discuss risk of infection. Once it happened to me I heard constant stories of people getting infections after surgery.

My Versys Travels:

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 09:49 PM

I had multiple pain management injections years ago, that did nothing for my pain. 6 or 7 of 'em. I gave up and lived in pain until someone talked me into going to Cleveland Clinic. With 1 injection, I was pain free for almost 2 years. It then slowly came back, so I had a local PM Dr. do the same xray guided procedure, and it helped very little. So WHERE you go, and the Dr. doing it, made a HUGE difference. It shouldn't, but it does. At this point, my spine is so full of spurs and arthritis, I can't ride like I used to. Even riding in a car for a few hours is painful. I thought my retirement would be nothing but summer m/c trips.....instead, I only ride locally. 100 miles or so is my usual limit. But at least I can still ride, so it could be much worse.
A friend's grandson, just turned 20, and has been in a Cancer unit for 4 months, multiple surgeries, chemo,etc..... it spread like crazy. A really nice, clean cut, very religious kid.......so it has made me realize I've actually been pretty lucky, healthwise.
I hope your surgery results improve. Nerves can be very slow to heal even when pressure is relieved.
weljo2001 likes this.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 08:49 AM

8 weeks is not a long time. At 8 weeks I was still hobbling around with lots of pain. At 12 weeks I was ok standing and walking, though not moving briskly. Sitting was still very painful at that point. It took 4 full months before sitting was ok, but even then turbulence at work caused a lot of pain.

I didn't ride for at least 4 months post surgery. Riding itself wasn't so bad, it was the pre- and post- ride maneuvering the bike into the garage, and knowing if I dropped the bike somewhere I would never be able to pick it up.

Have patience! You are still in the early days of recovery.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 12:37 PM
Super Moderator

GOOD luck, and GOD bless to ALL of you suffering....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 03:51 PM

The last doc I talked too about my back/neck problems said that they could fix a couple of bad vertebra but not THAT many and still leave me ambulatory.....his advice was "if you can deal with the pain don't have any surgery". So I deal with the pain with OTC's. I'm slowly doing less and less. Old age here I come.

Recovery from any surgery takes time......patience grasshopper.
hawkerjet likes this.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 11:40 PM

Garage
I’d mentioned in your earlier post that all of the docs I know and have as friends would avoid back surgery unless it was totally unavoidable. They didn’t speak highly of positive outcomes. They also said that when vertebrae are fused, the adjacent vertebra typically fail soon after. Not a hopeful lot - but highly experienced nonetheless. I heard laser spine surgery has somewhat better results, but the back is a fickle thing.

You’re young into your recovery. Hang in there and do what your doc suggests. Hopefully life will get better soon. In the meantime, I would prescribe Bombay Sapphire and tonic with a twist of lime - if you’re not on pain meds!

Good luck. You can do this.

“It would be nice to spend billions on schools and roads, but right now that money is desperately needed for political ads.”

Andy Borowitz
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 08:52 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys for the encouragement and kind words.
Oldandslow likes this.

Cookin Wid Gas

2015 V-650 of course it's green...it's a Kazawalski.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 08:40 PM
Super Moderator

Sad you hear your condition bro. Prayers for your quick recovery and god bless with good health.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 07:20 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmer View Post
I thought my retirement would be nothing but summer m/c trips.....instead, I only ride locally. 100 miles or so is my usual limit. But at least I can still ride, so it could be much worse.
Early in my life I encountered or heard too many stories of people waiting to "live" until they retired and then either died early or were not physically able to enjoy "living".

I was determined to not go down like that so I started my bucket list early in life.

I am now in my late 50s and have to trailer bikes to riding locations outside of my 60 mile radius, so I am so glad I rode like a man possessed while I could.

I also am changing up my bike stable to accommodate my new riding limitations. Better suspension, cushier seats, slower speeds, and just enjoying the ride.

The latest bike is the '17 Van Van 200 with super fat tires and very wide comfy seat. Got a carrier that goes in my truck hitch receiver and hauled it on a work trip to Florida with no reduction in fuel economy. Got to explore some nice trails on the weekend at a nice slow pace.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sm20190629_093818.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	164391   Click image for larger version

Name:	sm20190629_101852.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	164393  
dmer likes this.

My Versys Travels:

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 02:38 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibumik View Post
...In the meantime, I would prescribe Bombay Sapphire and tonic with a twist of lime - if you’re not on pain meds!...
MY suggestion is to 'modify' that recipe to read: Bombay Sapphire and Martini vermouth in a 6 to 1 proportion, over three olives, DIRTY!

Fastoman likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 09:36 PM

Garage
As long as there’s plenty of Bombay Sapphire it’s all good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
MY suggestion is to 'modify' that recipe to read: Bombay Sapphire and Martini vermouth in a 6 to 1 proportion, over three olives, DIRTY!

Fastoman likes this.

“It would be nice to spend billions on schools and roads, but right now that money is desperately needed for political ads.”

Andy Borowitz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode