Got a FREE saddle-bag.... - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

3Likes
  • 3 Post By fasteddiecopeman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Got a FREE saddle-bag....

One of our members posted an advert for the bags from his '17 V650, FREE, (left one pristine, right one w/ broken attachment points) so I contacted him as to whether he would mail them to Canada, and we came to an agreement.

I had wrecked my left bag last summer, camping, when I tried to get under-way w/ the front disc-lock STILL attached to my front wheel, and it went down HARD shattering the left bag. Once home my buddy and I 'fixed' it w/ liberal doses of epoxy, and GORILLA TAPE on the inside 'seams'.

Received the left one a couple of days ago, and started figuring HOW I could get it re-keyed to MY ignition key, but didn't get TOO worked up about it (my 'fixed' bag was working FINE), so set it onto my workbench.

THEN yesterday I went out to do some 'chores', and when I got back to the house I stopped it where I USUALLY do (preparatory to backing it into my garage). NORMALLY I put the sidestand down, killing the engine, then swing my leg over and get OFF, THEN turn the key OFF. So, INSTEAD I turned off the key (stand STILL UP......), and got off without extending the stand, and heard a pretty LOUD 'crash' as it hit the gravel.

(PROBABLY said a "BAD" word or two..., then got it back on its wheels w/ help from my wife, and back into the garage .)

It looked pretty sad, so I got down the "new" bag, and quickly realized that, as the lock is part of the INNER bag, it looked like I could just remove the OUTER from the wrecked bag, then replace it w/ the OUTER from the freebie new bag. All it takes is to remove ONE "phillips" JIS screw, and then 'drive-out' two pins at the bottom and the OUTER is 'free' of the INNER, on BOTH bags - probably took about 10 minutes, and here's the result, altho' the paint doesn't "quite" match, yet....

The "old" bag looks pretty much the same as it did last summer.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 06:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
he shoots........... he scores!

if I'm answering your question I assume the basic points have been addressed, such as: did you do a compression test? is it still on fire?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode