Invited on a road trip today - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 11:32 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Invited on a road trip today

One of the Harley guys at work invited me on a road trip with them later this year. When I declined, he asked me if I'm "one of those local only p***ies?"

I got my calculator out and figured the required furl budget for this little outing he has planned. $786 according to my math. That's just for fuel. Prolly sittin' this one out.

2016 KLZ1000GBFAL
No mods yet
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 11:43 PM
Super Moderator

Your ride or tour should be a pain to your budget. Good for you to decline the ride..Ride within your means
52Degrees likes this.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 06:28 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 52Degrees View Post
One of the Harley guys at work invited me on a road trip with them later this year. When I declined, he asked me if I'm "one of those local only p***ies?"

I got my calculator out and figured the required furl budget for this little outing he has planned. $786 according to my math. That's just for fuel. Prolly sittin' this one out.
How much is fuel where you live? How the hell far is his "little outing" going?

I'm paying about four and a half cents a mile here in Dull-Aware, even just putzing round the city. At that rate, I can go over seventeen thousand miles for $786. On the freeway at 80 or 85, prolly more like 18,000. On the country roads, I average over 70mpg. That's less than three and a half cents a mile. You're talking well in excess of 23,000 miles.

Either the decimals are getting frisky on you or this guy wants to criss-cross the country ten times. What's the trip?
52Degrees likes this.

Unmitigated risk aversion is the new Puritanism; complete with witch hunts funny outfits and humorless preachers thundering doom. The Deity is Safety; Satan is a Lawyer; but the object is the same: to suck the life out of life and tell you how to live it.
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 06:36 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by webmost View Post

I'm paying about four and a half cents a mile here in Dull-Aware, even just putzing round the city. At that rate, I can go over seventeen thousand miles for $786. On the freeway at 80 or 85, prolly more like 18,000. On the country roads, I average over 70mpg. That's less than three and a half cents a mile. You're talking well in excess of 23,000 miles.

Either the decimals are getting frisky on you or this guy wants to criss-cross the country ten times. What's the trip?
Modesto to Daytona Beach... I assumed $3.999 a gallon on a V1 (38 mpg). I used to be a construction estimator, so I tend to include a bit of a buffer.

They also want to take 3 weeks off to do it. 4 days down, 3 days there and 6bdays back plus 4 days to recover... The idea of doing the longest possible trip first sounds exactly like me... But not this time.

2016 KLZ1000GBFAL
No mods yet
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 06:41 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 52Degrees View Post
Modesto to Daytona Beach... I assumed $3.999 a gallon on a V1 (38 mpg). I used to be a construction estimator, so I tend to include a bit of a buffer.

They also want to take 3 weeks off to do it. 4 days down, 3 days there and 6bdays back plus 4 days to recover... The idea of doing the longest possible trip first sounds exactly like me... But not this time.
Sounds like you estimated yourself right out of a trip that you really didn't want to take in the first place. We are paying $2.40 a gallon for 87 here in the southeast.

38 mpg? Damn that sucks! I get 55 mpg on my 107 Harley Road Glide cruising down the interstate!

My estimate for fuel would be $302 using $3 a gallon.
kballowe and 52Degrees like this.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by twowheeladdict; 05-21-2019 at 06:45 AM.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 07:12 AM

Garage
A coast to coast trip is a bucket list item. You get to see a great part of the country. Just make sure you get along with the guys you riding with.
Civit
52Degrees likes this.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 08:20 AM

If you are doing this trip in the summer you will definitely sweat. It will be miserable hot, with crazy high humidity once you cross TX. One of the reasons I bought a trailer to get to the nice, cool elevations out west.

For a better line on gas prices, Gas Buddy is your friend. And yeah, you are way high. Gas in central FLA is running 2.60 +/- currently and it is cheaper across the Gulf coast.

I do quite a bit of mc touring. It is my life's passion. Usually alone, but if with someone it is with the understanding and capacity that we can split off if the mood desires, with no hard feelings and meet up later maybe and talk about our adventures over adult beverages, or not. I did ride once with five other riders to Eureka Springs, AR for a rally, about a thousand miles. I don't ever foresee the circumstances where I would travel with that many again, and we had known each other for several years and ridden short rides before.

I've also found that traveling alone encourages the locals to initiate conversations. That is totally way cool. A great source for local info: great roads, places to camp and or eat, etc...

Feel free to discuss more if you want. And do get there, somewhere, some time.
twowheeladdict and 52Degrees like this.

Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SteveinSunnyFlorida)

'15 KLE650LT
'99 Concours(with 234,xxx miles on it), sold
'98 KLR650

And most of Canada too, eh?
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 09:08 AM

$3.29 / gallon here for mid grade.

Long distance interstate highway droning is not my favorite kind of riding. I wouldn't be interested in that kind of a ride, at least not on a Versys. If it were back roads with lots of local attractions along the way, yeah maybe. For me, the freeway is a necessary evil to get me somewhere I can do or see something. The freeway ride is not the goal.

I don't blame you for passing on the trip.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 12:02 PM

About a hundred years ago, I rode a 450 Honda from Camp Lejeune, North Carolina to 29 Palms, California. And back.
Since that time, I have become wiser.

hahahahaaa fly to Daytona and rent something to ride.

No matter where you go - there you are.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 12:15 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post
If you are doing this trip in the summer you will definitely sweat. It will be miserable hot, with crazy high humidity once you cross TX. One of the reasons I bought a trailer to get to the nice, cool elevations out west.

For a better line on gas prices, Gas Buddy is your friend. And yeah, you are way high. Gas in central FLA is running 2.60 +/- currently and it is cheaper across the Gulf coast.

I do quite a bit of mc touring. It is my life's passion. Usually alone, but if with someone it is with the understanding and capacity that we can split off if the mood desires, with no hard feelings and meet up later maybe and talk about our adventures over adult beverages, or not. I did ride once with five other riders to Eureka Springs, AR for a rally, about a thousand miles. I don't ever foresee the circumstances where I would travel with that many again, and we had known each other for several years and ridden short rides before.

I've also found that traveling alone encourages the locals to initiate conversations. That is totally way cool. A great source for local info: great roads, places to camp and or eat, etc...

Feel free to discuss more if you want. And do get there, somewhere, some time.
Been there, done that. Cooling Vest replenished every hour! hydration bladder with hose constantly in my mouth.

I picked up the enclosed trailer last summer and am loving it! I do wish I could have found a used ironhorse trailer because it doesn't put the strain on fuel economy, but hits the wallet hard on the purchase. I've trailered out to NM and CO twice, to FL a couple times, and have some trips planned. Now I can haul to the BRP elevations and ride from the campground without ever having to go through the 95 degee rain forest humidity to get there.

I am glad I had those riding experiences though.
kballowe, SteveJ and 52Degrees like this.

My Versys Travels:

post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post

I picked up the enclosed trailer last summer and am loving it!
The Wife can't make the long trips (on the back of a motorcycle) anymore and I miss her when she's not around. We also got an enclosed trailer last year and she has discovered "shopping" along the way. Isn't it amazing how much "stuff" you can shove into one of those trailers ?

The fuel mileage sucks, but if you take the net $$$ increase and add it up, then it's rarely more than a couple hundred added onto the cost of the vacation. I can live with that.

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 01:37 PM

A cross country trip with people you don't know all that well? This will not end well.

You haven't even signed on for the trip, and you're already being insulted. That should tell you something.
09Greeny and 52Degrees like this.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 01:42 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmost View Post

My best average fuel mileage is 26 KM/Liter which works out to 70 miles per gallon. Our gas price average is $1.20 a liter or $5.40 a gallon, so my cost is $0.077 per mile or double your cost.
52Degrees likes this.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Rider View Post

You haven't even signed on for the trip, and you're already being insulted. That should tell you something.
Maybe it's just slang that means, "come 'on, it'll be fun"

i.e. - in Missouri, "I love you" comes out as "Get in truck, bioch"

And then there's "here, hold my beer" - which actually means "HEY ! WATCH THIS !!!"

post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 01:47 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I paid $4.499 a gallon last night.

38 mpg average isn't bad for a V1 in California, I assumed 39 mpg when estimating fuel cost for the trip. I very intentionally estimated high.

Insults in jest are a form of comradery among men.

2016 KLZ1000GBFAL
No mods yet
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kballowe View Post

The fuel mileage sucks, but if you take the net $$$ increase and add it up, then it's rarely more than a couple hundred added onto the cost of the vacation. I can live with that.
When you figure the tire wear saved in the bike and motel rooms(sleeping in the Roadtrek), it all comes out close enough for me. Camping is free at Walmart(nice and quick for travelling through) and only $7-12 at Army Corps of Engineer parks with the geezer card(senior pass). The corps parks pretty much all have electric hook ups to run the A/C. I do have a generator on board in case I need it for the A/C, but it's not the preferred way to go..
52Degrees likes this.

Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SteveinSunnyFlorida)

'15 KLE650LT
'98 KLR650

post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 03:02 PM

Garage
California to Florida....What a **** ride...Nothing but long boring ass roads......Have you ever ridden a bike across Texas, Arizona and New Mexico in the summer....I have and its no fun.....
52Degrees likes this.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 03:08 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I've done it in a truck more times than I can count. Lol.
weljo2001 likes this.

2016 KLZ1000GBFAL
No mods yet
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 05:15 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post
When you figure the tire wear saved in the bike and motel rooms(sleeping in the Roadtrek), it all comes out close enough for me. Camping is free at Walmart(nice and quick for travelling through) and only $7-12 at Army Corps of Engineer parks with the geezer card(senior pass). The corps parks pretty much all have electric hook ups to run the A/C. I do have a generator on board in case I need it for the A/C, but it's not the preferred way to go..

And some of us lucky folk get to utilize the FamCamp system. Camped on Key West a few winters ago for $12 a night.

I would love to get a class B one day. New ones are more expensive than my mini-farm.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	022a Key West Campground.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	163773  
SteveJ and 52Degrees like this.

My Versys Travels:

post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
And some of us lucky folk get to utilize the FamCamp system. Camped on Key West a few winters ago for $12 a night.

I would love to get a class B one day. New ones are more expensive than my mini-farm.
First off, thanks for doing what you did to earn the FamCamp privilege. My oldest son and his wife are both retired US Navy.

Yup, those new class B's can get quite spendy, north of 300K. For some reason, they are a lot cheaper in the EU, likely a volume thing. I bought our 2000 Roadtrek before the economy took off, about 6-7 years ago. It was quite neglected. Got it for $10,500. It still looks a bit tough but the mechanicals and appliances are tip top and I stay after maintenance. It now has north of 192k miles on it and still runs a treat and gets an average of 13.4 mpg pulling the trailer including quite a bit of mountain driving, quite frugal. It has enough tank capacity(35g fresh) to last two weeks boondocking. I love traveling this way and am taking off again next Tuesday for another three month adventure up to MN then out west with the Versys in tow.

Sotty about the off topic thing.

Later.
twowheeladdict likes this.

'15 KLE650LT
'98 KLR650

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode