Back Surgery - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

15Likes
  • 5 Post By hawkerjet
  • 1 Post By 52Degrees
  • 2 Post By Fly-Sig
  • 1 Post By twowheeladdict
  • 2 Post By Fly-Sig
  • 1 Post By brwster
  • 3 Post By twowheeladdict

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 09:03 AM Thread Starter

Back Surgery

I had a bilateral decompression of L4-L5 and L5-S1 last Wednesday May 8th.

This was surgery number 10 for me, but the only spine one.

Man I forgot just how much the o'l body can hurt. Thank God for muscle relaxants and pain meds.

Probably be a couple of months til I'm back on the bike. Really sucks as this is the most prime time of the year to ride around here.

Think I will send my ECU to Steve in Sunny Florida for the latest addition to his fantastic flash. My ECU was one of the first one's he flashed, which at that time he had not added the Fuel cut delete to the mix.

Cookin Wid Gas

2015 V-650 of course it's green...it's a Kazawalski.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 09:25 AM

Garage
Wow... That really sucks. I hope your recovery is swift and successful!
hawkerjet likes this.

2016 KLZ1000GBFAL
No mods yet
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 09:36 AM

Sorry you're laid up for a while.

I had the same surgery but one level higher, about 18 months ago. 100% cure. But, and this is really important, you MUST follow the doc's instructions. My doc said no lifting more than 2 pounds (or was it 3 pounds?) for a couple of weeks. No using the vacuum for 3 months. No lying on soft surfaces like a puffy couch.

I was surprised how physically unable I was for at least a month. Just walking around the condo parking lot was painful and exhausting. At 2 months I was feeling ready to be a lot more active, but the doc and physical therapist were putting restrictions on me.

At 3 months I went back to work but didn't want to. I had to for financial reasons. Walking was fine but sitting was still painful. Lifting overhead was tricky, so I learned to travel super light.

The physical therapist was a really attractive and very interesting woman. Too bad it would have crossed all kinds of ethical lines to ask her out.

The modern back surgeries are really good compared to even just a few years ago. Your chances of being pain free are excellent. But be sure to follow instructions and be a good patient for the next 4 months!
hawkerjet and 52Degrees like this.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 11:46 AM

Wishing you a speedy recovery!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 05:14 PM

Garage
Heal up and follow all the doctor's and therapist's advice. My simple micro-discectomy at L5-S1 turned into permanent damage thanks to the discitus caused by infection. It took 3 months to flair up and put me in the hospital. 8 weeks of intravenous antibiotics. Permanent nerve issues.

When we make microprocessors we do so in a clean room environment to make sure nothing foreign gets in the material. Hospitals pay someone $10 an hour to clean the operating room. You can see where our priorities are in our society.
52Degrees likes this.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
When we make microprocessors we do so in a clean room environment to make sure nothing foreign gets in the material. Hospitals pay someone $10 an hour to clean the operating room. You can see where our priorities are in our society.
Ugh, I'm sorry you've had that bad outcome.

My dad nearly died from a superbug blood infection he caught during a minor surgical procedure recently. He spent several weeks in the hospital on IV antibiotics, and now is home with daily IV antibiotics. He was lucky to beat the odds, especially being elderly. There's a 60% mortality rate with that infection for those treated in the hospital, with nearly 100% mortality for those who don't make it to the hospital immediately.

This particular bug kills a lot of people, and it is nearly 100% an infection caught in hospitals. It doesn't seem like something that should be happening at all.
Beezerboy and twowheeladdict like this.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 07:17 PM
Super Moderator

Speedy Recovery Bro.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly-Sig View Post

...My doc said no lifting more than 2 pounds for a couple of weeks...
so you were relegated to lite beer? Man that sucks!
Fly-Sig likes this.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 11:08 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys for the kind words.

Getting old sucks.

Cookin Wid Gas

2015 V-650 of course it's green...it's a Kazawalski.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 06:53 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkerjet View Post

Getting old sucks.
That's why riding takes priority over most everything else. Don't know how much time I will have left. I haven't worked a full week since the 1st week in March. If the weather is nice I take off 3 hours early and go for a ride. I'm not commuting anymore and have to take a lot of breaks to walk around but I still managed to put down a couple thousand miles in 2019 to far.
Buffalo_Bob, hawkerjet and brwster like this.

My Versys Travels:

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 10:42 AM

Quote:

Getting old sucks.
Hope you recover soon and fully.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 03:24 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

Getting old sucks.
Tim - from here in BC.

As for "Getting old sucks." - not QUITE as much as the alternative does....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode