$500. 4 days. Just me and my V. - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-29-2013, 12:52 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
$500. 4 days. Just me and my V.

I'm leaving my wife and my beloved dog behind to ride off with no map or GPS. I've always had a call of the wild and have to get an escape or go crazy. I'm worried I might not want to come back home though.

Should I take this trip??? She doesn't ride and doesn't understand why I do.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-29-2013, 01:05 PM

Of course you should. What a question.

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-29-2013, 01:29 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Go for it just take loads of photos so you can show her.Then your making her a part of it by taking the time to spend with her while telling her your road story and photos.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-29-2013, 01:31 PM

Garage
BTW....The dog just wants you to be happy. Some women could learn alot from a dog.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-29-2013, 01:42 PM

Sometimes my wife says, "Just go." That's her way of acknowledging that I need my two-wheeled time.

Feel free to show your wife this...perhaps it will help?

weljo is right about your dog.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2019 F750GS
2014 R1200RT
2008 Versys (SOLD 11/19)
2003 ST1300ABS (SOLD 5/15)
IBA 59868
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-29-2013, 02:01 PM

Have fun, be safe and show us your pictures!

You might want to call her each day or so to let her know you are safe and to remind her that you love her and your need to get out has nothing to do with her. If you've always done hobbie x, y or z sure you'll probably cutback after getting in a longterm relationship but clearly your love generally wouldn't/shouldn't want you to give it/them up totally. As Bones mentions....maybe show her some websites or publications that show it's completely normal for people who love to ride (or hike or boat etc...) to go out on their own for some head clearing (or other definition). My wonderful gal has no problem letting me go at least once a year since she knows she isn't up to X hours in the saddle and knows I'll be safe etc.. Have fun!

http://editorial.autos.msn.com/artic...umentid=518431

Ride To Live, Live To Ride....no, really!
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-29-2013, 02:26 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
My wife usually answers "on the bike somewhere" when people call looking for me.
She's the one telling me to not waste the good weather on work.
The dog just wants me to be happy as long as he can find someone else to throw the ball & fill his bowl. The parrot....she's the B###h in the mix.
Be safe, keep contact and go.

But that's just me
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-29-2013, 06:14 PM

Definitely gotta go. That's my favorite way to travel, a vague plan but no definite agenda, no motel reservations just playin' it by ear.
I am trying to convince my wife to give it another try since our only real test a few years ago wasn't under the best circumstances but now that I have the 1000 which is roomier and more suitable for 2-up it might work out better. Regardless, she is awesome and knows how much I love getting away on the bike for a few days or a week, so I have no problem going by myself.

2013 Versys1000
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-29-2013, 06:35 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Just do it!
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-29-2013, 07:03 PM

I believe everyone needs private time once in a while.

However, in my humble and somewhat irreverent opinion, it may well depend on how close your relationship is with your wife, and how many firearms are in your home.

The dog won't mind because dogs live in the moment and aren't really very good with firearms.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-29-2013, 07:05 PM
MTS

Open the gate and let her buck!

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-29-2013, 10:08 PM

I got the same go-ahead about six months ago, and did this little trip. Or, said differently, why wouldn't you go? You dog and wife will be there when you get back (right??) ...

Cheers, Jeff
--------------------------------

|
|

2010 Versys
SW-Motech crash bars & bash plate
SW-Motech quick lock rear rack
Two seahorse 720 cases / panniers
Givi wind screen
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-29-2013, 10:19 PM
Super Moderator

Do what you got to do and be with it.

Life is short so make the most of it. Have a safe trip and do come back to loved ones.

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-30-2013, 10:17 AM

Garage
With $500 and careful planning you could last a week. When your back home
the experiences you've had on the road will be with you a long time. After three
days away you make a big break from home, two days out and two days coming
back isn't quite enough.

Ride while you can
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-30-2013, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom edison View Post
With $500 and careful planning you could last a week. When your back home
the experiences you've had on the road will be with you a long time. After three
days away you make a big break from home, two days out and two days coming
back isn't quite enough.
Yeah, and since you're in Austin, it's one full day to west Texas (Marfa is my favorite stopping point) then the next day you're in New Mexico. Similar on the return - it'll be at least one full day just to re-cross Texas. Assuming you go west...

Cheers, Jeff
--------------------------------

|
|

2010 Versys
SW-Motech crash bars & bash plate
SW-Motech quick lock rear rack
Two seahorse 720 cases / panniers
Givi wind screen
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-30-2013, 11:14 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Go for it just take loads of photos so you can show her.Then your making her a part of it by taking the time to spend with her while telling her your road story and photos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arion View Post
...However, in my humble and somewhat irreverent opinion, it may well depend on how close your relationship is with your wife, and how many firearms are in your home. ...
You haven't taught her to shoot, have you...?

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 09:35 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by King.Versys View Post
I'm leaving my wife and my beloved dog behind to ride off with no map or GPS. I've always had a call of the wild and have to get an escape or go crazy. I'm worried I might not want to come back home though.

Should I take this trip??? She doesn't ride and doesn't understand why I do.

Didn't read all the posts, but did notice that the dog is beloved. The wife? don't really know. If it is her you are getting away from, absense makes the heart grow fonder so they say.

My Versys Travels:

post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 01:45 PM

Garage
"Honey, years from now as I lie on my death bed looking back at my life, would you like me to remember you as the fountain of joy behind the experiences in my life; or the source of my regrets for the things I missed?"

Always trust your cape.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 10:29 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATYC View Post
"Honey, years from now as I lie on my death bed looking back at my life, would you like me to remember you as the fountain of joy behind the experiences in my life; or the source of my regrets for the things I missed?"

Thats A Good One...

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-01-2013, 08:00 AM

Well I guess he took off to parts unknown. Happy trails mate!

I'm no diplomat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode