Getting A New Action Camera - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-24-2013, 07:55 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Getting A New Action Camera

Having had a GoPro and hated it.I've been using 2 Drift Stealth HD170's for about a year now and another one 6 months prior. So 3 Drifts in total. Have had no issues with the Drifts and they are really user friendly. Have been looking at the Drift Ghost for awhile so ordered one and it should be here in the next couple of days. Once i get it i'll post my thoughts on it.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

Last edited by weljo2001; 01-25-2013 at 04:04 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 04:03 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Feels like Christmas..Mail Lady was nice to me today.

IMG_2197 by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 10:40 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
What did you not like about the go pro?
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 11:44 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi 41 View Post
What did you not like about the go pro?

Its not as user friendly. Mounting the Drift is easier with more options and it has a rotating lens. With the drift i'm able to hook up a charger cord to the camera while using it so no need to worry about extra batteries on long trips.

Most people that have GoPro really like them. They are just not best suited for my needs

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

Last edited by weljo2001; 01-26-2013 at 01:07 AM.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-26-2013, 12:00 AM Thread Starter

Garage

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-26-2013, 06:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Looks like a nice cam option WelJo. I might have to look into one of those in the future. Thanks for posting.

"The Road Goes On Forever And The Party Never Ends"
IBA #23562

post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-28-2013, 03:57 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Just went out for a burrito run and wanted to play with the camera. I really like the Drift Stealth Cameras i have but this new Ghost is so much better. The remote control works great.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-29-2013, 03:52 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Playing with the camera. Mounted on helmet at 127 degree field of view. Camera angle alittle low at 170 degree it would be right

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

Last edited by weljo2001; 01-29-2013 at 03:55 PM.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-29-2013, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Its not as user friendly. Mounting the Drift is easier with more options and it has a rotating lens. With the drift i'm able to hook up a charger cord to the camera while using it so no need to worry about extra batteries on long trips.

Most people that have GoPro really like them. They are just not best suited for my needs
Did you have the GoPro Hero or Hero2 or 3. I have the Hero which my daughter found and I use it on the bike with the charger cord plugged in no problem. Curious if there was a difference on the later ones.

2013 Versys1000
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-29-2013, 06:17 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I had it 2 years ago when i was in Puerto Rico. They were coming out with a different case that would allow you to hook cables up to it. But having had both i'm just not a GoPro fan.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-29-2013, 06:38 PM Thread Starter

Garage
A little long but informative...

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-29-2013, 06:39 PM
Super Moderator

I got the hero 3 and you can buy the case to hook up cables but i am getting a battery which has twice the life of the stock one and i use the usb wall charger that i have for my nolan bluetooth helmet as i found battery life was the weakness of the camera.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-29-2013, 06:57 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
I got the hero 3 and you can buy the case to hook up cables but i am getting a battery which has twice the life of the stock one and i use the usb wall charger that i have for my nolan bluetooth helmet as i found battery life was the weakness of the camera.
Thats the thing with GoPro you have to always buy something else to make it what you want. What i like about the drift is you don't have to buy anything else if you don't want to. It comes with 2 back plates 1 thats waterproof another that has a usb port and a mic port. If you want to use a charger while riding and don't want to buy a Cigarette style charging cord. You can just use the included usb cable if you have a 12V power source thats for usb just plug it in. If you have a 12V Cigarette style then you can pick up an adapter. For mounts i use the RAM camera plate with a one inch ball and just connect to any Ram mount i have.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-30-2013, 12:52 PM Thread Starter

Garage
If you have a GoPro. Get one of these...http://www.gpscity.com/ram-mount-pla...202u-gop1.html it'll make things much easier so you can just use multiple types of ram mounts

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-30-2013, 03:15 PM

Not to be mean but -- man is that video choppy! Is anyone else noticing that? I watch in 1080P and 720P and the drift just looks like it isn't smooth :-/

I have been looking at cameras also - Anyone have experience with the Contour 2? I hear its excellent for the price and super easy to use compared to others (simple on and off)

Farkles:
Givi Tall Windscreen, Givi Top Rack and Case, Givi V35 Bags and Mounts, Givi QuickLock Tank Connector+Bag, Oxford Heated Grips, Nuvi 550 w/ Ram Mount, Barkbusters Full Wrap + Storm, Motowerks Flatfoot, Spools and Tank Protector, Bobbed Fender, Grip Puppies, 12v SAE Socket, Packjack, Airhawk 1 (med), Scala Rider G4, Contour Roam2

Next Stop: 44Tooth Sprocket (To be installed)
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 08:09 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by naudan View Post
Not to be mean but -- man is that video choppy! Is anyone else noticing that? I watch in 1080P and 720P and the drift just looks like it isn't smooth :-/

I have been looking at cameras also - Anyone have experience with the Contour 2? I hear its excellent for the price and super easy to use compared to others (simple on and off)

That video was just raw footage. This video i'm putting up has gone through the media browser on my computer which clears alot up. I can do a stabilization on it but it would take another 4 hours to process this video and i'm not trying for theater quality. If you watch the video below if your not going to large or full screen just watch at 360p for larger screens 720 or 1080.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

Last edited by weljo2001; 01-31-2013 at 08:15 PM.
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 08:14 PM
Super Moderator

Bit of a novice on vids but when i having been uploading ride vids to my youtube account it recomends me to have them fix the shake, is this the right thing to do or is it better to you some flash programe to edit any shake out before you post?
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 08:38 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Bit of a novice on vids but when i having been uploading ride vids to my youtube account it recomends me to have them fix the shake, is this the right thing to do or is it better to you some flash programe to edit any shake out before you post?

I never let YouTube fix the shakes i did once and the video looked worse. I re-uploaded it without the fix and it looked great.It actually ask me if i wanted them to take the shake out of this video. I'm not sure what software you have i just use IMovie on my Mac and share it to media browser then i go to YouTube to upload it. I've got Final Cut Pro software but i have no clue how to use it.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 08:45 PM

I just got the contour roam 2 -- I plan to do some tests on it this weekend. Ill let you know how it goes!!!

Farkles:
Givi Tall Windscreen, Givi Top Rack and Case, Givi V35 Bags and Mounts, Givi QuickLock Tank Connector+Bag, Oxford Heated Grips, Nuvi 550 w/ Ram Mount, Barkbusters Full Wrap + Storm, Motowerks Flatfoot, Spools and Tank Protector, Bobbed Fender, Grip Puppies, 12v SAE Socket, Packjack, Airhawk 1 (med), Scala Rider G4, Contour Roam2

Next Stop: 44Tooth Sprocket (To be installed)
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 08:46 PM
Super Moderator

My vids are mp4 and when i put them in a folder and want to edit i right click on vid file and select open with windows live movie maker, that is where i have added music and cut some vids down.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode