Pilots Only Forum / The Perils of Petrol Miscalculation - Page 3 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

66Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 69 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 05:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly-Sig View Post
My initial sim instructor showed us prop overspeeds at altitude and props that didn't feather during a V1 cut. Both lessons stuck with me. Flamed one out in a windshear and the prop didn't feather, but knew we weren't going to die thanks to the sim instruction, and lived to tell the tale. But when the prop oversped in descent, yeah that got my attention seriously fast! We got it back under control and landed at the nearest airport, with pulse rate 200+.

I loved the Bro but am glad not to fly it any more.

Did you ever try the trick of just adjusting the left power lever? Nearly zero rudder trim required.

When I went to the CRJ, I kept reaching for both the rudder trim and the elevator trim wheel for a very long time. Old habits!
New guys use to look at you funny when you would bring the power lever back to flight idle. lol I use to like the look on their face the first time they flew the airplane you would call v1 rotate and they couldn't believe how heavy the controls were.

Last edited by turn8a; 03-10-2019 at 05:10 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 69 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkerjet View Post
Was there from 1986 til they folded in 1998.

Then did the private/corporate jet thing for another 20 years.

Yep I remember Rich.
Rich was my initial instructor in the e-120 at the flight safety in long beach back in 1999. We still stay in contact .
post #43 of 69 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 03:16 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by turn8a View Post
I don't get some people . He lost 3 engine's and the guy is worried about breaking rules. If both you and him had a plane parked on the ramp I know who's airplane I would get in. "captain may I catch a ride with you" lol
He was 'fearful' of doing something contrary to "THE BOOK", and figured he could do it successfully, but he got LOW AND SLOW and you KNOW how that ends....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly-Sig View Post
...I think the bigger problem these days is dependence on the automation....

So do I! Remember when that AE340 hit the sea-wall at SFO? Obviously he couldn't look "out-the-window" and judge his approach.

TOO OFTEN what they do is: V1, rotate, gear UP, autopilot 1, then not touch the controls again until after the auto-land.

A friend was teaching at an "eastern, oriental" country's 'national airline'. Told me that NONE of them could look "out-the-window" and fly the airplane, and FURTHER - that nobody in management there saw that as a problem...!

I'm glad that I "hung-up-my-spurs"....

turn8a likes this.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #44 of 69 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 03:08 PM
Super Moderator

Automation?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	b50a301021cc01378770005056a9545d.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	14.2 KB
ID:	162471  
invader likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #45 of 69 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 08:18 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Hello Pilots. So another one 737 down in some part of Africa and its all with Angle of Attack sensor problem. Boeing been such a big company cannot have made such a simple design error. Two planes lost within a year just after take off.

Just like to hear your comments.
post #46 of 69 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 02:05 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Exclamation

We've had a Lockheed C-130 Hercules flying overhead in search of a downed Robinson R66 helicopter.

Around 1:15 p.m. this afternoon, search master Capt. Martin Zimmer said a Canadian Forces C130 Hercules spotter located the crash site of the helicopter... Following that, a Canadian Armed Forces Griffon helicopter was dispatched to the site where two search and rescue technicians were dispatched to look at the incident and they determined at that time that both occupants had not survived the impact. The couple was last seen a week ago — Monday, March, 4 — leaving Sudbury in a Robinson R66 helicopter. They never made it to their destination, a hangar in Fauquier. Over the past week, aircraft from the Royal Canadian Air Force, Canadian Coast Guard and Civil Air Search and Rescue Association have been flying the route searching for the helicopter.

Crews in a Canadian Armed Forces Hercules aircraft spotted the site of a helicopter crash, circled in red, March 11, 2019. It was found 35 nautical miles from Nicole (47) and Jody Blais' (49) destination, a hangar in Fauquier

HD Photo: https://wawa-news.com/wp-content/upl...6.20.14-PM.png

A friend had spoken to Jody recently, who raved about how he could go beyond the R66's maximum speed of 259 km/hr (160 mph) in cold dense winter air at down to -30C.

April 5, 2018- NEW ZEALAND
Robinson Helicopter Co's passenger warning is 'bizarre', says expert... The safety notice warns that "carrying a passenger in and of itself increases risk because passengers add workload and distractions."

Robinson helicopters make up 35 per cent of the New Zealand fleet but 49 per cent of accidents, 64 per cent of fatal crashes and all seven fatal mast-bump accidents.

Tom McCready explains in video, the unrecoverable mast bumping tendency with Robinson's unique 3-pivot rotor hub... Air speed should be limited to 70 knots (80 mph) when encountering significant turbulence to avoid a catastrophic mast bumping scenario.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/a...ectid=11823337
Beezerboy and onewizard like this.

Last edited by invader; 03-24-2019 at 06:20 PM.
post #47 of 69 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 09:54 AM

Garage

"I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different." - Vonnegut
post #48 of 69 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 09:57 AM Thread Starter

Wow that is spookie.

Just watched the video. Helicopters make me nervous. Too many parts going in too many directions, all trying to tear each other apart.

Here is the "nice knowing ya" maneuver.

Cookin Wid Gas

2015 V-650 of course it's green...it's a Kazawalski.

Last edited by hawkerjet; 03-12-2019 at 10:00 AM.
post #49 of 69 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 01:07 PM

Garage
about 30ish years ago I was tasked with balancing the rotor on a Bell 206. I put the Chadwik on it and did the routine with track and charting the weights and it just wouldn't come in. so I asked the pilot if something had happened to make it so rough... ya, they had a blade strike & replaced the blades to fly it back into Anchorage..... from Adak, nearly the full length of the Aleutian Chain... thats like 1000 miles of poor weather. and very non nonchalant about it too. so ya, not only do helicopters make me nervous, helicopter pilots make me nervous too

if I'm answering your question I assume the basic points have been addressed, such as: did you do a compression test? is it still on fire?
post #50 of 69 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 03:04 PM
Super Moderator

Till just now, I'd NEVER heard of a "mast-bump" [I've never been in a helicopter w/ its engine(s) running], I have a pretty typical fixed-wing pilot opinion of flying something which has all its lift - the rotor - secured by what I've heard called the "Jesus-bolt".

Guess I'll continue to 'pass' on them.
hawkerjet likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #51 of 69 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 03:13 PM

Garage
ya, they have low inertia rotor problems sometimes too (R22), nice light weight rotor, which means if the power dies with pitch in the blades.... they stop turning in short order....
hawkerjet likes this.

if I'm answering your question I assume the basic points have been addressed, such as: did you do a compression test? is it still on fire?
post #52 of 69 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 04:23 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
R 66 / Another Old Explanation

After watching this last video , I may not try a flight after all in Australia over the great barrier reef . It is a old video and not the Robinson but explains mast bumping much better;

post #53 of 69 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 09:25 PM

"Flying in high winds or turbulence should be avoided. A pilot's improper application of control inputs in response to turbulence can increase the likelihood of a mast bumping incident... R66 pilots especially, have to slow down when flying in high winds or turbulence."

onewizard likes this.

Last edited by invader; 03-12-2019 at 09:35 PM.
post #54 of 69 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 08:49 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibumik View Post
All Boeing aircraft are designed to facilitate deadstick landings when necessary, although it’s not the preferred method of arriving home. What’s engineered into their design in terms of plans b,c,d....z would amazed you. That’s what makes Boeing the best aircraft in the world. Combine that with every pilot’s desire to survive and magic can and obviously does happen. (Former Boeing employee )
I pray the 737 7-8 series hasn’t made me a liar. I worked there for 12 years in AI and machine learning and advised for many more. We were always very aware of the risks of taking ultimate command, control and decision-making from the pilot. This is the greatest threat of automation. This is also why I insist on calling it “Alternative Intelligence.” While we are much better at sensing, too many believe the human brain can be left out of the equation. It can’t - but that won’t stop less enlightened people from trying. Computers are still if-then machines, but very fast ones. Human intelligence is different and hasn’t been and won’t likely be replicated. I pray Boeing hasn’t lost its sense of shame and become arrogant. That’s just not the Boeing I knew and trust.

I certainly don’t like the thought of self-certification either. That being said, the FAA is in the Stone Age and wildly underfunded. Hopefully this symptom hasn’t revealed a far more toxic problem - but I fear it likely has.
Beezerboy likes this.

With all the pollution and climate change, what kind of world will we leave Keith Richards?
post #55 of 69 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 09:39 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
I certainly donít like the thought of self-certification either. That being said, the FAA is in the Stone Age and wildly underfunded. Hopefully this symptom hasnít revealed a far more toxic problem - but I fear it likely has.
I worked in the defense aerospace arena as an engineer for 10 yrs before switching to flying for food. Unfortunately we do need government oversight because there are enough people who would put profit ahead of everything else. However, the oversight is usually done by people who don't know much about what they're looking at and who don't have the time to do more than skim over the paperwork.

From what we see in the news reports, which could be wildly incorrect, the root causative error may have been allowing just one AOA sensor to feed the system. As an engineer, it makes no sense to me that the designers thought one sensor was acceptable. I'm guessing there is more to the story, such as if not 1 then 3 would be needed. Or, if they agreed 1 was not within regulations then it would cascade into other costly changes or additions besides just using the already available 2nd AOA data.

As a pilot I am horrified that crews weren't given clear information on the MCAS system or how to disable it (again, if the reports are accurate as to what happened). There needs to be a way for crews to revert to the most primitive control and most unfiltered data. Green needles and raw data, and the most basic analog electronics in the flight control loop. In my present aircraft we have what amounts to 3 axis of MCAS higher level electronics, but there are guarded switches adjacent to the power levers to deactivate each system, and we receive quite a bit of training on it.

As with all major news stories there are likely important details being missed. A recent report said on the day before the Lion Air crash the aircraft had the same problem but a jumpseater recognized what was happening and coached the crew to a successful recovery. I bet the crew never wrote up a maintenance item on what happened, so the next crew had no idea the ambush they were heading into.
Beezerboy and Shibumik like this.
post #56 of 69 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 09:52 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
While we are much better at sensing, too many believe the human brain can be left out of the equation. It can’t - but that won’t stop less enlightened people from trying. Computers are still if-then machines, but very fast ones. Human intelligence is different and hasn’t been and won’t likely be replicated.
My one piece of advice to software engineers would be "Just because you can doesn't mean you should". There are some excellent functions in software which really help reduce workload while improving safety and efficiency. VNAV on STARs is one example. And fuel calculations are incredibly accurate.

But there are also too many options and ways to do things. Not to mention the myriad of menus on The Box. KISS is your friend in the cockpit, especially when things get irregular. A simple runway change becomes a lengthy process of reprogramming and verification. In the old days all it took was a quick spin of the knob to change a localizer frequency and you're golden. On departure a runway change didn't require any action.

What we're seeing now is that the software is so complex it has bugs which get fixed, but the fixes create other unexpected issues. So they roll on up to yet another revision in the software which has various nuances to learn.

Last edited by Fly-Sig; 03-21-2019 at 09:59 AM.
post #57 of 69 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 11:36 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
...I certainly don’t like the thought of self-certification either. That being said, the FAA is in the Stone Age and wildly underfunded. Hopefully this symptom hasn’t revealed a far more toxic problem - but I fear it likely has.
I HOPE I'm wrong, but I can see this issue bankrupting Boeing - BTW, I have in excess of 8,000 hours flying the B727-200 (all THREE positions!), plus a 'few' on the B767. As for "self-certification" - look back to the DC10.

One of their engineers wrote a book called DESTINATION DISASTER which foresaw ALL the CAUSES of the DC10 crashes BEFORE THEY HAPPENED due to the FAA lack of oversight in the certification process. I managed to NEVER fly in a DC10, even as a passenger!

https://www.thriftbooks.com/w/destin...5&idiq=5408285

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #58 of 69 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 11:52 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
I HOPE I'm wrong, but I can see this issue bankrupting Boeing - BTW, I have in excess of 8,000 hours flying the B727-200 (all THREE positions!), plus a 'few' on the B767. As for "self-certification" - look back to the DC10.

One of their engineers wrote a book called DESTINATION DISASTER which foresaw ALL the CAUSES of the DC10 crashes BEFORE THEY HAPPENED due to the FAA lack of oversight in the certification process. I managed to NEVER fly in a DC10, even as a passenger!

https://www.thriftbooks.com/w/destin...5&idiq=5408285
We need oversight period - but responsible oversight. One problem is government hasnít kept up with technology and has demonstrated many times they are incapable of doing so. Another is that the government commonly relies on business to write its rules. The fox watching the henhouse. How can you possibly oversee a domain of expertise as specialized and complex as aircraft design and production? Certainly no one DC is up to the task. They couldnít even figure out cash for clunkers! Insurance companies authored more than 99.6% of the ACA. It looks like the same may be true in the aircraft industry. There must be some sort of balance.

Perhaps itís time for an international standards organization that defines and certifies airworthiness derived from non-manufacturer and non-governmental pilots, engineers, and other related expertise and insights.

My work was with the 7E7 project.

Didnít intend to make this a political discussion, but a catalyst for change discussion.

With all the pollution and climate change, what kind of world will we leave Keith Richards?
post #59 of 69 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 01:35 PM

Garage
Coincidentally, isnít the DOT helmet standard self-certifying?

post #60 of 69 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 02:03 PM

Garage
the FAA is behind the times. ya, thats because we have people in office that think regulation is a burdon. they think that removing regulations and letting business self correct is the best way to go, and that any intervention from government is bad. in order to meet that political obvective they put "friendly" people in charge when ever possible, and reduce funding for the watchdogs. if something goes wrong, they step back and say something like.... see, they don't help anyway, time to get rid of it all together. it's happening right now to a greater extent than ever
Shibumik likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode