Nervous about being rear ended - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-18-2013, 07:56 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Nervous about being rear ended

Hey all,

I was stopped behind a heavy traffic on my way to work the other day on a two lane high way into Washington DC. I am sitting put watching a guy text on his cellphone as the traffic started moving a bit. Next thing I know, he slams into the car infront of him. If I didn't see him texting, I would have taken the spot infront of him and it would have been me that woulda gotten rear ended.

Now everytime I am stopped in traffic, I am very nervous about getting rear ended by people playing with their cellphones. So I stop almost on the outside line, hoping they will miss me. But I have gotten cars pull right up to my side trying to get by. I am also in gear until I see the car behind me has completely stopped. But in a stop and go traffic like that, not much room to do much.

I wish DC/MD/VA area allowed lane splitting so that we can stop between cars if nothing else.

Is this a concern for any of you, and if it is, how do you deal with it?

Shawn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-18-2013, 08:03 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
I always try to keep an eye on anyone coming up behind me and already have a space to shoot into if needed.I almost got rearended at a light but i saw the young man texting while he was coming up on me and i shot between the 2 cars in front of me. Then got off the bike and reached in his window and snapped his cell phone in half. Stared at him and he didn't want to pursue the issue any farther so i got on my bike and left.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-18-2013, 08:16 PM Thread Starter

Also stopped at a traffic light, I feel safest infront of all traffic because I can accelerate faster to the speed limit and have the road to myself as opposed to getting stuck behind big trash trucks and school buses that seem to get out at about the same time I leave my house to go to work in the morning. I was tempted a few times to just take the bicycle lane and get infront of the cars and trucks - I think it is much safer for a motorcyclist.
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-18-2013, 08:22 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
I always try to keep an eye on anyone coming up behind me and already have a space to shoot into if needed.I almost got rearended at a light but i saw the young man texting while he was coming up on me and i shot between the 2 cars in front of me. Then got off the bike and reached in his window and snapped his cell phone in half. Stared at him and he didn't want to pursue the issue any farther so i got on my bike and left.
Snapped his cell phone in half?! That's what I call a memorable response. Good thing he wasn't armed. Perhaps summary roadside execution for texting drivers would worth pursuing with the state legislature, in Texas anyway. I think they're armed anyway - Texans love their guns it seems.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-18-2013, 08:36 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Then got off the bike and reached in his window and snapped his cell phone in half.
Did you do that in Texas? Around here I would seriously worry about getting shot for doing something like that.

When it comes to havoc, no one wreaks like me! - Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz

I will never be good and that's not bad. - Ban-Anon
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-18-2013, 08:41 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mursili View Post
Did you do that in Texas? Around here I would seriously worry about getting shot for doing something like that.
Yea when i was in Ft.Worth in the Lake Country area by Eagle Mountain Lake. Not too worried I've been shot at before.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-18-2013, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stallhorn View Post
Hey all,

I was stopped behind a heavy traffic on my way to work the other day on a two lane high way into Washington DC. I am sitting put watching a guy text on his cellphone as the traffic started moving a bit. Next thing I know, he slams into the car infront of him. If I didn't see him texting, I would have taken the spot infront of him and it would have been me that woulda gotten rear ended.

Now everytime I am stopped in traffic, I am very nervous about getting rear ended by people playing with their cellphones. So I stop almost on the outside line, hoping they will miss me. But I have gotten cars pull right up to my side trying to get by. I am also in gear until I see the car behind me has completely stopped. But in a stop and go traffic like that, not much room to do much.

I wish DC/MD/VA area allowed lane splitting so that we can stop between cars if nothing else.

Is this a concern for any of you, and if it is, how do you deal with it?

Shawn
You're doing exactly what you need to do, position yourself to one side or the other of the lane so you can shoot between the traffic if you need to or so the dumbass coming up behind you can avoid you if he has time. Also keep an eye in the mirror and look at the face of the person behind you so you have an idea where their attention is. Something else you can do is blink your brakelights as you see the car behind closing on you. Always keep it in gear and be ready to get outta dodge. Another thing that has worked well for me, and it takes alot of practice, is to slow down well before the light or the traffic in front of you. This does two things, it minimizes the amount of time you are sitting still and it slows the traffic down behind you before they NEED to stop.
As for lane splitting, I have my opinion on that and I won't go there.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-18-2013, 10:16 PM
MTS

You are trying to leave yourself an out and thats key!

And yes I watch all the time!

Weljo thats awesome! Good job! I'm glad I'm not the only one out on the roads running around in fear!

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-18-2013, 11:23 PM

Garage

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-19-2013, 12:43 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-19-2013, 02:09 AM

Two words: exit strategy.

Falling down is your bodies way of saying you just screwed up.

IBA# 38547
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-19-2013, 08:47 AM

In these short videos showing a bike that was hit from behind, when the vehicle driver appears in the video THE DRIVER IS FEMALE !!!!!
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-19-2013, 02:45 PM

Garage
Not saying this is a total answer but every bit helps

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-19-2013, 02:48 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickAus View Post
Not saying this is a total answer but every bit helps

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGfT56haQug

I agree.......But since the video i took the admore light bar from under the topcase and put it above the license plate..

During the day...

IMG_0463 by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

Last edited by weljo2001; 01-19-2013 at 02:57 PM.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-19-2013, 06:01 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I am adding the http://www.lights.skenedesign.com/P3_Features.shtml lights as I change the rear tire on my bikes. Really helps.

In addition I stay back almost a car length behind the car in front of me. I stay in the left half of the lane and am stopped at a slight angle so that I can pop the clutch and pop up beside the car in front of me.

One of the worst things drivers/riders do, is start moving before the lane of traffic is fully moving. The light turns green, people start moving, but the traffic isn't really moving yet so they have to put the brakes back on. An innattentive driver sees traffic moving, hits the gas, and doesn't expect to hit the brakes and BAM!

Getting rear ended on a bike is statistically one of the lower probability accidents, but for those who ride in traffic the probability is much greater than the general statistic would show.

My Versys Travels:

post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-19-2013, 09:05 PM
MTS

Great idea, and is now on my list!

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-19-2013, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofer View Post
In these short videos showing a bike that was hit from behind, when the vehicle driver appears in the video THE DRIVER IS FEMALE !!!!!
I was hit from behind twice in 2011. Once in my car, once on my previous bike. Both times by insured male drivers. In the one on the bike, there's nothing you could do with lighting or conspicuity that would have prevented it. Not being there then would have been a good move.

Among other things I learned:
1. California minimum liability insurance isn't enough to cover even an inexpensive bike like ours. It didn't cover the dent my bike made in the pickup I got pushed into either. Both of us had to claim against our own insurance.

2. It hurts more getting rear ended on a bike than on a car.

Several times I've seen the car in the adjacent lane to me rear-ended on the freeway. Once hard enough to push the back of it into my lane.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-19-2013, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
Getting rear ended on a bike is statistically one of the lower probability accidents, but for those who ride in traffic the probability is much greater than the general statistic would show.
Yeah. I think the stats are mostly for recreational riders, and their risks are much different. In the US commuters are fewer. And in most (all?) places where commuting by bike is prevalent, splitting lanes is too. In some places you'll fail your riding test if you don't filter at a light.

It's not the most common accident reported on our local forum, but does happen--to more than just me.

FWIW the local forum has an RIP section. The only forum I've participated in that does. And some very skilled riders have ended up there--much better than I'll ever be.

Last edited by davidg; 01-19-2013 at 10:27 PM.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-20-2013, 08:17 AM

I always flash by brake lights when coming to a stop (or when I drastically have to slow down for traffic on the highway), and always check my mirrors until vehicle behind has stopped. I'm always in gear even when car behind has stopped. I also usually put bar end mirrors on my bikes, they offer 180 degree rear visibility (these images dont do them justice, you really basically have no blind spots at all), havent done it on my versys yet because of the handguards.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode