Helmet Survey Shows Many Motorcyclist Wear The Wrong Helmet Size - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

9Likes
  • 1 Post By twowheeladdict
  • 4 Post By fasteddiecopeman
  • 1 Post By Heywood
  • 1 Post By twowheeladdict
  • 2 Post By Devilsfan

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 05:49 PM Thread Starter

Helmet Survey Shows Many Motorcyclist Wear The Wrong Helmet Size

...around 25 percent of motorcyclists wear the wrong size helmet. The survey also revealed that around 20 percent of riders said their helmet almost came off in a crash.
https://www.visordown.com/news/produ...itting-helmets

That surprises me a bit that it's that high. I was super paranoid / careful to ensure a proper fit. I probably tried on 30+ helmets before I found a few brands / models that fit. If I'm going to spend serious coin on a lid, darn straight it gonna fit right. But I guess there's always those that walk in and buy something based on the graphics without knowing or caring.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heywood View Post
...around 25 percent of motorcyclists wear the wrong size helmet. The survey also revealed that around 20 percent of riders said their helmet almost came off in a crash.

That surprises me a bit that it's that high. I was super paranoid / careful to ensure a proper fit. I probably tried on 30+ helmets before I found a few brands / models that fit. If I'm going to spend serious coin on a lid, darn straight it gonna fit right. But I guess there's always those that walk in and buy something based on the graphics without knowing or caring.
Agree
In my younger days, fit really didn't matter much as it was more about looks.
But after experiencing a 55 mph end over end on a bike my thoughts soon changed. Certifications and proper fit some how seemed more important!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 08:30 PM
Super Moderator

Quality does matter for head protection. Got a Carberg Sintesi Helmet direct from factory in replacement under warranty for some minor defect, which I raised to the factory.

Fits well and ventilation is good, only problem is when its come to noise level, a bit high for comfort...
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 09:49 PM Thread Starter

Huh, never heard of Caberg helmets. Had to go look them up, Italian, very race-centric design. Are they DOT or just ECE? Oh, wait, I see you're not in the US.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 10:24 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Huh, never heard of Caberg helmets. Had to go look them up, Italian, very race-centric design. Are they DOT or just ECE? Oh, wait, I see you're not in the US.
I am on the other side of the universe..but reachable.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 07:30 AM

Garage
Quote:

My problem with helmets is finding the right shape, not the right size. I'll bet that is what happens with most so they end up buying too big in order for it to not create pressure points.

My last couple helmets required ordering miss matched internal padding. One is XL for the crown padding and L for the cheek padding on a helmet described as intermediate oval. Another is the opposite for a helmet described as long oval.

My hair cut makes a huge difference as well. My summer cut and my winter hair are almost a full size difference in the helmet.

It is hard to tell which helmet is going to be comfortable until you go for a 2 hour ride with it.
Buffalo_Bob likes this.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 01:53 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
...My hair cut makes a huge difference as well. My summer cut and my winter hair are almost a full size difference in the helmet....
WAIT till you're 'old' - hardly any difference whether I just had a hair-cut or not....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 02:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
My problem with helmets is finding the right shape, not the right size. I'll bet that is what happens with most so they end up buying too big in order for it to not create pressure points.

My last couple helmets required ordering miss matched internal padding. One is XL for the crown padding and L for the cheek padding on a helmet described as intermediate oval. Another is the opposite for a helmet described as long oval.

My hair cut makes a huge difference as well. My summer cut and my winter hair are almost a full size difference in the helmet.

It is hard to tell which helmet is going to be comfortable until you go for a 2 hour ride with it.
That is what I went through, finding the right shape. I know I'll probably never own an Arai or Shoei helmet as they tend to run in the ovals and I need something more round. Darned near ripped my ears off a couple time. Of course that would make it easier to take on an off
Huh, I'll have to look into different size internals to customize the fit better but it fits pretty good right now, never thought about doing that.
twowheeladdict likes this.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 03:34 PM

I've found that many helmets feel nice when trying them on, but they quickly loosen with use. My head is very average shape and size. The right size feels a bit tight when trying it on in the store.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 08:55 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly-Sig View Post
I've found that many helmets feel nice when trying them on, but they quickly loosen with use. My head is very average shape and size. The right size feels a bit tight when trying it on in the store.
and when trying them on you have to literally try to pry it off your head to see how much movement it has.
Fly-Sig likes this.

My Versys Travels:

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 08:57 PM

Garage
Quote:
Huh, I'll have to look into different size internals to customize the fit better but it fits pretty good right now, never thought about doing that.
I know it works well if the shell size is the same for the two sizes you are mixing internal padding on. Not sure how much the internals are different for the different shell sizes. Most helmets only have two or three shell sizes to accommodate small to XXL.

My Versys Travels:

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 08:39 AM

My cycle helmet fits just fine!

twowheeladdict and Fly-Sig like this.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 01:31 PM

Garage
That number is probably so high because people buy helmets on the Internet now instead of locally where they can try them on. When buying on the Internet, they guess on the size, then figure "it's good enough" because they don't want to hassle with a return, or can't return.

I don't care what you ride, just ride.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 03:13 PM

I always pack a skull cap if it gets cold so I need my helmut a little loose. Theres a lot of mountain passes here in the N.W. and you never know when you may need it! A cold brain doesnt function well...
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 04:25 PM

I agree about buying a helmet local so you can try it on. When I was ready to get back to riding I stopped at a Honda shop and they had an HJC full face in 3XL. I put it on and asked the guy if this was the right fit. He grabbed the chin of it and yanked it to one side. My head came with it and he said "it fits just right". After three ibuprofen for the neckache and I agreed with him. I also agree with trading locally, but some times there is no spot that has what you need, especially in oddball sizes. So I have stuck with HJC and ordered what I needed if not available local. That said, I have to give kudos to Revzilla for showing each helmet and which SHAPE head it fits. Also Mr Fast Talker mentions that in every review. I agree, a little snug to start (the first 5-10 rides lets say) should serve you for many years.

Forty years away from 2 wheel fun. Sure is great to be back smelling the roses!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode