HJC Shout Out - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

5Likes
  • 1 Post By Heywood
  • 1 Post By Heywood
  • 1 Post By twowheels
  • 2 Post By twowheels

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 01:41 PM Thread Starter

HJC Shout Out

I have an HJC Rpha 70 ST helmet. I like HJC helmets in general as I think the bang for your buck is pretty good with their product and they fit my noggin very comfortably. However, I seem to have an issue with fogging up even with the "pinlock" shield in and vents open. This helmet has incredibly good venting. Apparently this is their version(first attempt?) of their own insert OEM'd by the same mfgr that makes the Pinlock brand. I called today to discuss suggestions or to see if others have this issue. At one time I found a review where they indicated this might be a problem but I can't find it now. Anyways they're sending a new insert gratis, and he stated if that doesn't seem to fix the problem they send a new shield and insert to replace the unit as a whole. Wow, way to go HJC!!! I've contacted them in the past prior to purchasing to discuss features / ratings and sizing and have always found them to be helpful.
ETA: To resolve the problem currently I'm using an anti fog cloth to wipe the inside of the shield which works fine exc. when it starts to wear off and I don't find out until I've started my commute.
52Degrees likes this.

Last edited by Heywood; 01-18-2019 at 01:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 03:47 PM

Garage
Are their helmets all ECE or Snell rated now?

2016 KLZ1000GBFAL
No mods yet
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 08:43 PM

Is the Pinlock properly sealing all the way around the entire edge? If there's any place on the edge where it's not sealed, it will fog. You may have to twist the pins to ensure that they are properly oriented to get a good seal.

Dave C
2008 Versys (Red)
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 06:50 AM

I bought this same helmet in the summer and love it! I haven't had any issues with the pin lock system since purchase so I'm willing to bet the seal around the insert is not 100% sealed around the face shield.
Make sure the inside of the face shield is sparkly clean before applying the new insert. If the new insert works, great! If not it may be the face shield itself that is warped somehow.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 52Degrees View Post
I can only answer for us with big, unusually shaped heads. Not sure where in the XL sizes it starts, but my 3XL is only DOT rated. That said, I love all 3 of my 3XL helmets for their perfect fit for me. My special favorite is modular with the push down sun blocker lens that I think retails at Revzilla for like $203. I think that is pretty good bang for the buck.

Forty years away from 2 wheel fun. Sure is great to be back smelling the roses!!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 09:37 PM

I purchased the 70ST. It was advertised to have a fog resistant insert. It did come with one, but it was the wrong one. It looks like the same one as on my old IS MaxII so I kept it. I ordered a Pinlock name-brand and another spare shield and they work great. Ordered some 25 mm cheek pads as well.

Originally I was planning on a Shoei modular but went this route. I miss the flip up chin bar but not the weight. The 70ST is noticeably quieter as well.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-20-2019, 03:22 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjcintucson View Post
I can only answer for us with big, unusually shaped heads. Not sure where in the XL sizes it starts, but my 3XL is only DOT rated. That said, I love all 3 of my 3XL helmets for their perfect fit for me. My special favorite is modular with the push down sun blocker lens that I think retails at Revzilla for like $203. I think that is pretty good bang for the buck.
Oh, that's right... I noticed the 3xl DOT only thing a couple of weeks ago and already forgot. Fortunately, I'm only a 1 or 2xl in most helmet brands.

2016 KLZ1000GBFAL
No mods yet
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 11:46 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 52Degrees View Post
Just getting back to this thread, late response but short answer is no. Snell will not certify any helmet with an internal sun visor (a quick giveaway when looking at a helmet) and not all their helmets are ECE.
52Degrees likes this.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 12:04 PM

Garage
I purchased a new helmet this time last spring. Really liked the Hjc st70 for light weight, comfort and quality but ebded up with New Bell Star Mips due to increased safety and long oval head shape. It is a bigger and heavier helmet than hjc but offers more protection in a crash.
52Degrees likes this.

Last edited by twowheels; 01-28-2019 at 02:03 PM.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 12:10 PM

Garage
spent a fair amount of time shopping for a helmet last year. This involved reading a lot and talking to as many knowledgeable people as I could. In a nutshell here's what I learned. Your experience may differ

The Liner Trick:
Manufacturers often use a thick padded liner as a cheap way to obtain comfort and fit on a wide variety of head shapes. A helmet with a thick, soft liner will feel great on your head in the store usually but.... it is also a disadvantage in the real world. 1) This is because the liner will pack down over time causing the helmet to loosen. 2) The helmet will shake and move on your head more and feel more like you are wearing it than it is an extension of your head, particularly during quick head checks or buffeting wind. 3) It may be less safe in a crash as your head will fling about more inside the shell and there is less space left under the shell for protective foam or it will require a bigger shell than otherwise.

Precise Fit:
As an example Shoei and Bell both make great helmets but if you fit one, the other will likely not fit well. Both brands are outliers on the fitment spectrum but at different ends of the scale. Most helmet models favour a particular head shape so a wide oval fitting helmet may fit great on your Asian friend but an intermediate oval may fit you better. You need to try on lots of different models and brands to determine what fits your unique head shape the best. Too tight to chew gum but not too tight to cause pain after 10 min is ideal. Shake your head from side to side. Does the helmet move with your cheeks or independently. Fitment will loosen over time as the liner packs down. Tighter helmets are safer and don't buffet or move on your head with shoulder checks. They will be less distracting on the bike.

In general precise fit tends to improve as you go up in price point and the thick liner trick is used less.

Mid to upper tier helmets also offer adjustable thickness cheek pads to get a more custom fit.

Venting and Noise:
As a general rule venting improves with price. Also some helmets are designed to block the wind and vent optimally in a race tuck while others are designed to have the rider in an upright position on a bike like the Versys. This is important as it impacts both noise and venting for the rider. Upright helmets have a different collar and chin bar position relative to the wearers head than race helmets do.

Better helmets usually have a tighter fitting collar which keeps internal noise down. Collar shape (race or touring) is important too. More venting usually means more noise too. Additional brow vents usually make a helmet cooler too.

Better (aka more expensive?) helmets have a better sealing visor. Air gaps around a closed visor are going to make a helmet noisy.

Visors:
Internal sun shades are very convenient but come with a slight cost to both safety and internal venting. Safety is impacted as the internal foam must be cut away to make room for the sun shade. It also impacts the internal flow from the top and brow vents and therefore may make the helmet slightly warmer on a hot day, especially if the sun shade is up.

Helmets without an internal sun shade will require the additional purchase of a tinted visor although they are easy and quick to switch. You will also need to lug the second visor around with you in a tank bag or similar. A tinted visor is pretty much mandatory, or at least well worth the cost of entry, sun glasses, or any glasses under a helmet suck. Polarized sun glasses are superior but generate visual artifacts under most helmet shields.

If you ride in the cold or wet fogging is going to be a big issue. For occasionally riding in these conditions you can always raise you visor at a stop and use lots of anti fog but it is really not a completely effective solution. The only thing that does work is the use of a PinLock or dual pane shield. Fog city inserts are pinlock inserts that fit on shields without pins however because there are not pins to hold them securely they require adhesive and may be more likely to come off. Anti fog inserts do not last forever and may need annual or bi annual replacement.

Weight and Helmet Standards:
The weight of a helmet is dependent on the shell material, shell size and whether it is a DOT, ECE 22.05 or Snell 2015 helmet. Avoid DOT only helmets as the standard is out of date as is the research data it is based on and you get a lot more protection with the other newer standards. ECE sits in the middle, safer than DOT but not as safe as Snell. The issues you may hear about with Snell being too rigid to absorb impacts or absorb them as well as ECE helmets applied to the old Snell 2005 standard but were resolved with the replacement of the Snell 2005 standard with the Snell 2010 standard. They are the only standard to update their requirements every 5 years based on current safety research. A Snell 2015 helmet will usually be stronger and more impact absorbing than an ECE 22.05 helmet. Only Snell 2015+ helmets are allowed on a race track. All new Snell helmets for sale are Snell 2015;

Although Snell helmets are the safest in a crash they have a few disadvantages. They are most expensive usually. You can't get a sun shade in a Snell approved helmet. You can't get a movable chin bar either. They are unlikely to be the most light weight for a given size as the standard requires more impact absorbing foam, hence a larger shell size for a given head size, and they also require a stronger shell. The bigger and stronger shell makes the helmet heavier and more impacted by wind. That said no one will get a sore head or neck, even riding all day from a helmet that weighs a 1/2lb more. In fact they will only notice weight difference with comparing helmets back to back in the store.

Composite shells usually weight less than hard plastic shells and provide more protection in a crash.
DaveC and 52Degrees like this.

Last edited by twowheels; 01-28-2019 at 02:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode