Just Ordered A New Helmet Camera - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-31-2018, 05:30 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Just Ordered A New Helmet Camera

I've been using Drift Camera's since 2010 and love them. Last 2 i bought were the Ghost units. A battery expanded in one of them last year and that camera is shot. The newer Drift Camera's don't have the FOV Field Of View i like so I've held off. My Ghost had 170 FOV which i like. The newer ones are less than 150. When the Ghost S models were being discontinued for the Drift 4K i looked to pick one up but what was left was way more expensive than the newer 4K. I just ran across this Ebay ad and purchased one to see how it goes almost bought 2 of them at that price its worth a shot. The Ghost S FOV is 160 so it should be good enough for what i like....https://www.ebay.com/itm/Drift-HD-Gh...c00d%7Ciid%3A1

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

Last edited by weljo2001; 12-31-2018 at 05:34 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-01-2019, 05:29 AM

Garage
Please report back after you have had a chance to play around with it.
Very nice price point.

It's been swell, but the swelling has gone down.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-01-2019, 08:02 AM

How do you protect the camera lens from bugs, dirt, and road debris?
post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-01-2019, 08:50 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
Duck.
TacoBlueWing and C-17 Pilot like this.

2016 KLZ1000GBFAL
No mods yet
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-01-2019, 09:03 AM

Garage
That looks like a pretty good deal. $100 for a complete motovlog setup with GPS? Um..
Yes!

2016 KLZ1000GBFAL
No mods yet
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-01-2019, 03:13 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigar View Post
Please report back after you have had a chance to play around with it.
Very nice price point.

Will do...

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-01-2019, 03:15 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post

Never really had an issue. Had a bug splatter on it once. If I'm close to the ocean i run my finger over the lens everyonce in awhile because of the fog early morning and dust later in the day...
invader likes this.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-01-2019, 03:24 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 52Degrees View Post
Duck.
You can`t use a duck, they are more harmful than bugs.
Fastoman and 52Degrees like this.

[B]Once you go PACK you never go back
]
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 08:01 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimK View Post
You can`t use a duck, they are more harmful than bugs.
Only if you hit them pretty directly. Glancing blows tend to knock the bugs off, but the feathers are a bit of a mess.

2016 KLZ1000GBFAL
No mods yet
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 08:05 PM

It's hard to judge it's size and don't see any listed, what's its dimensions / weight?
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 07:22 AM

Garage
I like the GoPro camera because it is very noticeable on top of my helmet. I know cars see me and see my camera because they behave very different around me than when I am not wearing it.

I still haven't had any MILFs in the passenger seat flash me like that Big Dog Motorcycle commercial.

My Versys Travels:

post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 01:54 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heywood View Post
It's hard to judge it's size and don't see any listed, what's its dimensions / weight?

Product Dimensions 2 x 1.2 x 3.9 inches
Item Weight 6.1 ounces
Shipping Weight 1.76 pounds

Heres a photo of my Drift Ghost Mounted. The Ghost and Ghost S are the same size.....

P1020106 by weljo2001, on Flickr

P1020107 by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 04:37 PM

Thx for the specs. not too big.
I'm looking for ways to mount a car dash cam behind the windscreen but it's pretty tight. I like the set it and forget it aspect but does make it tempting to sticky fingers...
Was that the camera used when the guy opened the door on you? Looks battle worn...
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 05:14 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
I'm looking for ways to mount a car dash cam behind the windscreen but it's pretty tight. I like the set it and forget it aspect but does make it tempting to sticky fingers...
Was that the camera used when the guy opened the door on you? Looks battle worn...
Yes it is. The camera in the above photo was my second camera that i used on the back of the bike.It's been my main camera the last few years now. On the way up ACH one day i clipped it into the mount i had under my top case and didn't click it in. When i tried to turn my cameras on with the remote a few miles later it wasn't working so i pulled over and discovered that the back camera fell off. So i zipped back and found it on the side of the road beat up but still works fine...

Dropped Drift Camera by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 11:20 PM

Here's some footage from a recycled Mini 0805 dash cam that I have mounted to the fog lamp bracket under the nose.
ETA: it appears the embedded YT is only 360p, but the camera will record at 2304x1296 30fps and 1920×1080 30fps without issue. It's not waterproof so I'll have to be careful when it's wet out.

Last edited by Heywood; 01-04-2019 at 11:41 PM.
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 09:03 AM

Quote:
There are 3 dual-camera permanently mounted dashcam systems for motorcycles which I am considering. They all have a main unit which is hardwired under the seat and then small cameras you mount wherever you like. They are all in the $150-$200 range. 1080P video. You just install it and forget about it unless you need to download the video. A true dashcam.

Blueskysea DV688 Motorcycle Dash Cam https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DWT911R...v_ov_lig_dp_it

VSYSTO 3.0'' LCD WiFi Support Dual Full HD 1080P Motorcycle Dash Cam https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FH81TF9...v_ov_lig_dp_it

Motorcycle Recording Camera System by HaloCam https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D371DRF...v_ov_lig_dp_it
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly-Sig View Post
There are 3 dual-camera permanently mounted dashcam systems for motorcycles which I am considering. They all have a main unit which is hardwired under the seat and then small cameras you mount wherever you like. They are all in the $150-$200 range. 1080P video. You just install it and forget about it unless you need to download the video. A true dashcam.

Blueskysea DV688 Motorcycle Dash Cam https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DWT911R...v_ov_lig_dp_it

VSYSTO 3.0'' LCD WiFi Support Dual Full HD 1080P Motorcycle Dash Cam https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FH81TF9...v_ov_lig_dp_it

Motorcycle Recording Camera System by HaloCam https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D371DRF...v_ov_lig_dp_it
Thanks, those look like some good options. Just some comments after looking at them.
DV688 - $186. The only "waterproof" one listed. 130* angle viewing. (With cheap ChiCom electronics I use "waterproof" somewhat loosely)
HaloCam - $180. Rubber "waterproof" sleeve that goes over main unit, cameras are not from what I can tell. 155* angle viewing
VSYSTO - $159. Not waterproof, need to step up to Pro model at $219. 140* or 170* on Pro model viewing angle.

All appear to be able to orient the camera for any mounting scenario which is a concern for my rear mounting which will go under my Givi top case bracket. HaloCam is eliminated due to no waterproofing of cameras so I would choose between the DV688 or the VSYSTO M2F Pro. Being somewhat cheap I'd probably go with the DV688 but the 170* viewing angle would be nice on the M2F Pro. Just a note if you've not had a dash cam with 170* angle, there is a fisheye quality to the video. The video I posted above is 140* for reference.
ETA: The ability to disable audio is a bonus as I don't need 8 hours of engine or exhaust recording. Also if the unit has GPS I would want to disable that as well. No need to self incriminate.

Last edited by Heywood; 01-05-2019 at 11:23 AM.
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 01:50 PM

Garage
Quote:
Thanks, those look like some good options. Just some comments after looking at them.
DV688 - $186. The only "waterproof" one listed. 130* angle viewing. (With cheap ChiCom electronics I use "waterproof" somewhat loosely)
HaloCam - $180. Rubber "waterproof" sleeve that goes over main unit, cameras are not from what I can tell. 155* angle viewing
VSYSTO - $159. Not waterproof, need to step up to Pro model at $219. 140* or 170* on Pro model viewing angle.

All appear to be able to orient the camera for any mounting scenario which is a concern for my rear mounting which will go under my Givi top case bracket. HaloCam is eliminated due to no waterproofing of cameras so I would choose between the DV688 or the VSYSTO M2F Pro. Being somewhat cheap I'd probably go with the DV688 but the 170* viewing angle would be nice on the M2F Pro. Just a note if you've not had a dash cam with 170* angle, there is a fisheye quality to the video. The video I posted above is 140* for reference.
ETA: The ability to disable audio is a bonus as I don't need 8 hours of engine or exhaust recording. Also if the unit has GPS I would want to disable that as well. No need to self incriminate.
I've found that leaving the sound on is much more entertaining, especially with a helmet microphone.

And, extra-especially when it's weljo2001.
weljo2001 likes this.

2016 KLZ1000GBFAL
No mods yet
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 03:13 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Camera came in today. Perfect timing because my car dash cam just crapped out last week. So I'll take my old Drift Ghost and mount in the Xterra to use as a dash cam. Charging up the battery and remote for the Ghost S and will program the video setting after charged. Already set the rotating lens and camera mount into the same position that the Drift Ghost had.
52Degrees likes this.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 05:29 PM

Garage
Are those the red lights on the handlebars in some of your videos?

I gotta pick up a new camera soon. My used cheapo gopro died.

2016 KLZ1000GBFAL
No mods yet
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode