Eagles are watching.... - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 12:55 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Eagles are watching....

the Trump eters...

the preceding is a photo collage. The Eagles were 1/4 mile down the road, around a left hand corner.

Ride while you can

Last edited by sedro tom; 12-02-2018 at 12:58 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 08:38 PM
Super Moderator

Nice shot, between Life N Death..that the way i see the picture.
onewizard and sedro tom like this.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 07:37 AM

Garage
World's largest congregation of eagles begins in the Fraser Valley- up to 35,000!

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...lley-1.4929071

Motorcycling related: I saw many bald eagles in the interior of Cape Breton when I toured there. Also numerous in Nova Scotia.

An amazing recovery from the DDT (now banned) era.

Also, an interesting fact is that eagles prefer to scavenge on dead fish and other prey.
onewizard likes this.

Last edited by Smiley; 12-03-2018 at 07:40 AM. Reason: more info
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 01:44 PM

I used to live on Vancouver Island and one year I studied one of these yearly bald eagle congregations for several days.I was so amazed,this one was at the Little Qualicum river and had about 250 eagles. They are apex raptors here,usually soilitary in their own territories but congregate naturally for feeding extravaganzas like the easy pickens of salmon after they river spawn.Walking in the surrounding area I saw the whole spectrum of eagle society,old buzzard looking ones chewing the fat up a tree,young pre-bald ones doing mock air battles to test their ability,young females watching in small groups and being courted. And of course them swooping in and grabbing a big salmon.They are powerful and precise hunters,theres a video around of an eagle getting a young deer off the ground!The whole spectrum of society as we know it was there to see,we called it their festival.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 02:56 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaaklucas View Post
I used to live on Vancouver Island and one year I studied one of these yearly bald eagle congregations for several days.I was so amazed,this one was at the Little Qualicum river and had about 250 eagles. They are apex raptors here,usually soilitary in their own territories but congregate naturally for feeding extravaganzas like the easy pickens of salmon after they river spawn.Walking in the surrounding area I saw the whole spectrum of eagle society,old buzzard looking ones chewing the fat up a tree,young pre-bald ones doing mock air battles to test their ability,young females watching in small groups and being courted. And of course them swooping in and grabbing a big salmon.They are powerful and precise hunters,theres a video around of an eagle getting a young deer off the ground!The whole spectrum of society as we know it was there to see,we called it their festival.
I lived in Port Alberni for 15 years and took up sport fishing in a big way. I remember fishing in Barkley Sound and feeding the eagles any black bass I inadvertently caught. When the bass was thrown in the water they would swoop down from the trees and they always plucked the bass on the top of the swells. Their timing for pick up was impeccable.
jaaklucas likes this.

"I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different." - Vonnegut
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-04-2018, 12:06 AM Thread Starter

Garage
A long time ago when I was young and fit I worked at a floating logging camp on the
Prince of Wales Island, Alaska. One time, relaxing at camp, I saw an eagle hit the water,
swim to a very small island, drag a salmon out and chew it in half. It then flew away
with half and returned for the other half. When they sink there talons into some thing
they can't release until the object is resting on something. This salmon was to heavy
to fly with in one piece.
jaaklucas and Duffy like this.

Ride while you can
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-04-2018, 09:00 PM
Super Moderator

The Eagle in the Mystic world.

The Eagle spirit animal is an inspiring messenger. With the ability to soar to heights other birds merely dream of, the Eagle is a powerful animal totem that offers lessons about looking closely at the most minute of details in order to see life from a broader perspective. When this graceful hunter comes into your life, itís time to look inward with a careful eye. Allow your heart to guide you, and opportunities you never dreamed were possible will present themselves when you least expect it. Eagles have feet with four toes. Four is a symbol for having a solid foundation and being grounded. Those who are guided by the Eagle spirit animal are grounded. Even though the Eagle can soar to great heights, they are still strongly connected to the earth. Among being grounded and connected to the earth, those guided by the Eagle are also resilient and in complete harmony with the spiritual aspects of their lives. Unafraid of the unknown, these seekers accept lifeís challenges with unshakable courage, determination and confidence.
jaaklucas likes this.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-04-2018, 09:15 PM

Get a Versys and soar like an Eagle.

Mucho better than cruising with the Turkey's.
Fastoman likes this.

Cookin Wid Gas

2015 V-650 of course it's green...it's a Kazawalski.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-05-2018, 04:03 PM

Garage
Eagles are cool, with have some bald eagles that nest around here, but what I like to watch are hawks. We have some amazing battles between sharp-shinned hawks and the crows that nest in the mature tall spruce trees in front of my house. Hawks are such fast and agile acrobatic fliers.

Crows are also quite agile fliers when chasing/being chased. Last year I saw an epic battle that lasted for a good half hour. A sharp-shin was determined to kill/harass the crows and the crows were equally determined to do the same. Suddenly another hawk, almost identical to the sharpie but larger, entered the battle. A coopers hawk.

A three-way battle ensued and it was a delight to watch. It attacked the sharpie and the crows. The crows did some real fancy evasive flying and gave no quarter. The battle ended with the coopers hawk chasing the sharp-shin away, with the crows in close pursuit chasing the pair of them.

Another raptor that is cool to watch are northern harriers- they glide silently a few feet above the fields, back and forth in a covering pattern. Also, kestrels that can hover in place over a suspected target, usually small prey like mice etc.

Ya, I'm a bird watching geek!
Fastoman and Glenn21 like this.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-05-2018, 04:47 PM
Super Moderator

Smiley - I watched a VG one hour documentary about peregrine falcons a week ago on 'Nature' - watch for it!!!

When I was about five I saw one attack and kill a duck, while riding in a canoe w/ Dad...!
Beezerboy likes this.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-05-2018, 05:26 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Smiley - I watched a VG one hour documentary about peregrine falcons a week ago on 'Nature' - watch for it!!!

When I was about five I saw one attack and kill a duck, while riding in a canoe w/ Dad...!
Thanks, Nature is a personal favourite of mine, I'll check that one out.

Raptors are amazing to watch hunting prey. Seeing an osprey nail a fish and haul it away is very entertaining too.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-05-2018, 10:07 PM

I never lived till I saw an eagle fly, John Denver.

Every time I ride is an eagle.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-05-2018, 11:40 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkerjet View Post
Get a Versys and soar like an Eagle.

Mucho better than cruising with the Turkey's.
Been a X pilot, you sure must have some good amount of soaring the sky. Always wanted to be pilot, but lost out due to poor vision.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-06-2018, 12:59 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Young Eagles grapple....

Fastoman and jaaklucas like this.

Ride while you can
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-06-2018, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastoman View Post
Been a X pilot, you sure must have some good amount of soaring the sky. Always wanted to be pilot, but lost out due to poor vision.
I began my flying career with hang gliders. That was the purest form of flying. Closest thing to being a bird.

Flying jets is fun but also boring. You don't see much detail from 40000 feet and half the time you are in and around clouds so you don't see the ground.

"Hours of boredom punctuated by moments of stark terror" is how a crusty old airline captain once put it.

Cookin Wid Gas

2015 V-650 of course it's green...it's a Kazawalski.
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-06-2018, 03:38 PM

Garage
No matter what flying craft man builds, nothing can match the aerobatics that birds and insects can perform.

I have always had flying dreams, and I don't mean in aircraft. If I were inclined to want to be a pilot I think I would like to try soaring.

Gliders seem to be pure flying. Like the hang gliders that Hawkerjet speaks of, without the hanging bit. Don't like the idea of my legs dangling down below, the first thing to snag something nasty close to ground. Wind buffeting and I'm not too fond of the harness thing snugged up to my boys either.

I've flown passenger/photographer in ultra-lights but the noise and vibration were spoilers for me.

....and now back to the eagles topic.
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-07-2018, 12:07 PM
Super Moderator

On a hunt in the Canadian Rockies (around 1980...) I was up before dawn, climbing UP, then saw a Golden Eagle soaring below me. I sat on a rock, watching it, totally NOT hunting right then.

GREAT moments!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-07-2018, 01:06 PM

Theres an illegal trade in eagle feathers, they have spiritual significance to some.In B.C.,there is evidence of eagle poaching found regularly.
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-07-2018, 01:46 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaaklucas View Post
Theres an illegal trade in eagle feathers, they have spiritual significance to some.In B.C.,there is evidence of eagle poaching found regularly.
It is illegal for a non indigenous person to posses eagle feathers in the U.S.

Ride while you can

Last edited by sedro tom; 12-07-2018 at 06:25 PM.
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-07-2018, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedro tom View Post
It is illegal for a non indigenous person to posses eagle feathers in the U.S.
Its the same here. The feathers are used for ceremonial purposes by our North American Indigenous people. Originally I think the feathers were special and symbolic as they had to be found,blessed,etc. Its not hard to imagine how big the black market for eagle feathers on our continent is today. They are a protected species in the U.S. I guess we have lots here. They know who the culprits are here but they claim its their right to own eagle parts.But to kill and sell them? Im siding with the animals,cant see killing an eagle just for its feathers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode