Busting The Engine Break In Myth | MC Garage - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

4Likes
  • 1 Post By weljo2001
  • 2 Post By onewizard
  • 1 Post By twowheeladdict

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 04:30 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Busting The Engine Break In Myth | MC Garage

onewizard likes this.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 04:55 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
That's about as good a scientific experiment as could be done.

I wonder if the fireworks accident involved "Hold my beer, watch this!".
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-13-2018, 05:32 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Nice to know this! I always liked Ari and his videos. He appears to be a class act. Will have to check out the new format he's going to.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-14-2018, 02:17 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I think it is more about where will the engine be at 30,000 miles than at 1000 miles. They did say a slight difference in the rings.

My Versys Travels:

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-14-2018, 09:29 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
I think it is more about where will the engine be at 30,000 miles than at 1000 miles. They did say a slight difference in the rings.
I tend to agree, my dealer and head mechanic are a family run organization, Kawasaki approached them, as they sell other makes along with snowmobiles and quads etc. and are well known as a honest and reliable dealer. I was told the importance of break in at the very start, and to not baby it, in fact get into the 6 to 8K RPM range for short duration's, all to do with the seating of the rings, also to engine brake for the same reason. Comparing wear at 1000 miles between break-in methods doesn't give a true picture of the prime reason, the rings.One positive note and I was also told this by the head mechanic, as was mentioned in the video, full synthetic oil could have been used from the very start of break-in .
invader and jaaklucas like this.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-14-2018, 03:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I keep saying that riding a motorcycle is much safer than playing with fireworks. Sorry to hear Ari is departing from MC, he'll certainly be missed by them.
I heard he's going to MotorTrend on Demand...which only scratches the surface regarding motorcycle articles. Perhaps they'll change since they have Ari now.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-14-2018, 11:12 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Break In Secrets--How To Break In New Motorcycle and Car Engines For More Power

YAMAHA FZ1 (Nikasil chrome plated cylinder bores, like Versys 650/1000/300, R1, GSXR 750, etc)
Break-in Theory and a Procedure

Engine break-in by Moto Man's Ideas and Procedure, a much different viewpoint from the standard "take it easy manufacture recommendations."

This is what the Manual states:
....There is never a more important period in the life of your engine than the period between 0 and 1000+mi. For this reason, you should read the following material carefully.
....Since the engine is brand new, do not put an excessive load on it for the first 1,600 km. The various parts in the engine wear and polish themselves to the correct operating clearances. During this period, prolonged full-throttle operation or any condition that might result in engine overheating must be avoided.
....0-600 miles----------Avoid prolonged operation above 5,000 r/min.
....600-1000 miles ----Avoid prolonged operation above 6,000 r/min.
....Over 1000+----------The vehicle can now be operated normally

This what MotoMan responded to a direct email question from Uffe from Sweden, 3/2002:

Uffe writes MotoMan:

"I read the articles on breaking in procedure but there is one thing that puzzles me.
Does all this really work with a motor that has hard-wearing chrome-composite plated bores (which the FZ1 has)?
MotoMan says "The rough crosshatch pattern in the cylinder bore acts like a “file” to allow the rings to wear. The rings quickly "use up" the roughness"
Is there any rough crosshatch pattern in the FZ1 bores?
If you have any answer I would be more than happy to hear it..."

MotoMan responded immediately:

"Thanks for your e-mail!
The "break in article" was actually first started as being about the GSXR 750, which has a nikasil bore material.
The "FZ1" uses the same bore material as the R1, and that's where I did most of my break in "research".
What I mean is that you will have no problem with using the instructions of my article, because your new bike has the same material in it's cylinder bore.
The main idea is to accelerate & decelerate your bike to put a load on the piston rings.
What you said is true..... you can't hone a composite cylinder with a normal honing stone. The cylinders do have a "crosshatch" pattern to provide oil retention, and to wear in the rings, just like the older steel cylinders. The only difference is that the composite cylinders need a special diamond hone."

Sincerely, Pat McGivern ~MotoMan http://www.mototuneusa.com/

http://www.angelfire.com/ia/z/FZ1breakin.htm

Last edited by invader; 11-14-2018 at 11:25 PM.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-14-2018, 11:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
I agree with his explanation #1 - that much of the drama over running in is a hangover from the days of inferior metals and inaccurate machining.
And as for the only difference being the piston ring end gap, it would appear that although both engines covered 1,000 miles, one of those engines had rotated far more times to do it!
That Ari is a very lucky fellow to recover from such a bad fireworks injury. "Fireworks broke my jaw?" Yipes!

2017 Kawasaki Versys-X 300; 2010 Suzuki V-Strom 650; 1988 Suzuki GSXR1100J
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 12:33 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
'Fireworks' damn near blew his head right off... He does like to experiment, but doesn't always know what the hell he's doing, exactly.

Last edited by invader; 11-15-2018 at 12:41 AM.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 08:32 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_Chicago View Post
I keep saying that riding a motorcycle is much safer than playing with fireworks. Sorry to hear Ari is departing from MC, he'll certainly be missed by them.
I heard he's going to MotorTrend on Demand...which only scratches the surface regarding motorcycle articles. Perhaps they'll change since they have Ari now.
I read that Zack is going with him. I liked his MC Commute videos, and also the videos where Zack and Ari would ride unconventional bikes in off road endurance rides.
Jay_Chicago likes this.

My Versys Travels:

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 10:10 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
That's a volatile subject, like oil and tires.

I was told by a mechanic that new engines in the factory are put on an engine brake and revved to redline before being installed in the bike. The brake actually offers resistance to the engine, the same as if it were propelling bike and rider.

Not certain how true this is for street bikes, but race engines are brake tested before use. Of course, engines at the top level are usually torn down after every race.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode