Borderline Genius WD-40 Uses You Had No Idea About - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

4Likes
  • 1 Post By Buffalo_Bob
  • 1 Post By jaaklucas
  • 1 Post By duffyduck1
  • 1 Post By jaaklucas

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-06-2018, 05:24 PM Thread Starter

Borderline Genius WD-40 Uses You Had No Idea About

I came across this today and thought of Fast Eddie, our WD-40 Guru!

Borderline Genius WD-40 Uses That You Had No Idea About
onewizard likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018, 03:59 PM
Super Moderator

If your leather seats are getting 'stiff', spray some WD40 on, rub it in, then wipe.

I've done this for years.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-14-2018, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo_Bob View Post
I came across this today and thought of Fast Eddie, our WD-40 Guru!

Borderline Genius WD-40 Uses That You Had No Idea About
The video isn't available in Europe

Nobody thinks that something is so easy like who is totally unable to do it.

Kawasaki Versys 07 Orange
Ex Aprilia Pegaso 96 Blue
Ex Suzuki DR 350 91

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-14-2018, 12:12 PM

Very handy stuff for sure.But for alot of those solutions on the video,there are easier ones that use household items.Squirrel problems...try hot sauce where they are doing their thing. They hate it, they will give you an earful! Or a few peppercorns where theyre digging and its wet from watering.Toothpaste with its fine grit cleans silver real good. I used WD this summer for a wasps nest startup,it worked.I still have some old mink oil for leather,same viscosity as WD,so I can see using WD in that "penetrating"way. In general though,I always look for the least toxic solution. My household cleaning is dish soap,vinegar,baking powder ,laundry detergent(enzyme cleaner) or a mix of some of those. A little bleach,the nuclear option maybe but it will etch a surface which sometimes you want like muriatic acid. Vinegar is a milder alternative. No more fancy,toxic cleaners lying around inside the house as there are always fumes that you breath.Cant attest to WD40 as far as its toxicity but its mild enough to clean your motor greasy hands compared to a solvent.As far as my bikes and chains,love it. It foams,like toothpaste or drain cleaner to expand and push out the stuff. And the amazing PL construction glue. Foaming is a breakthrough concept added component in alot of applications to boost its performance.Oh yea,and WD40 is also great for preventing rust,its original purpose!
Buffalo_Bob likes this.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-14-2018, 11:03 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
If your leather seats are getting 'stiff', spray some WD40 on, rub it in, then wipe.

I've done this for years.
Whatever you do, do not spray your seat with silicone spray. I did this once, and only once. What a scary ride that was.

2017 Kawasaki Versys-X 300; 2010 Suzuki V-Strom 650; 1988 Suzuki GSXR1100J
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 09:36 AM

Garage
The first tip- removing adhesives. There is a better product to use- lighter fluid (naptha)- the best of many products I've used.

It removes most adhesives and it leaves a clean, non-greasy surface.

Also, Liquid Wrench is a better rust penetrator/remover.

Last edited by Smiley; 11-15-2018 at 09:39 AM.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 09:43 AM

On a trip in the car I ran over some chewing gum and it got deposited all down the side of the car.

I stopped at an auto parts store to get some adhesive remover. The guy at the counter said that WD40 works great on gum.

Bought a small can and he was right. Got all the gum off without too much elbow grease.

Great stuff...just wish it would fix my bad back.

Cookin Wid Gas

2015 V-650 of course it's green...it's a Kazawalski.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiley View Post
The first tip- removing adhesives. There is a better product to use- lighter fluid (naptha)- the best of many products I've used.

It removes most adhesives and it leaves a clean, non-greasy surface.

Also, Liquid Wrench is a better rust penetrator/remover.
Yes.Naptha is an excellent solvent.It is a more refined kerosene,for this purpose "thinner" to penetrate.Also more expensive than kerosene.That is why WD 40 is 60% naptha,to clean out the stuff and replace it with added petroleum oil.Liquid Wrench is a copy of WD40 except they use kerosene.Here are the product safety sheets for both products, available online.Really you could make your own penetrating oil if you wanted....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WD 40 ingredients.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	20.5 KB
ID:	159557   Click image for larger version

Name:	Liquid Wrench ingredients.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	159559  
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-18-2018, 01:09 AM

Finally I got it!
I had to hack mi public IP address via VPN...

Interesting video, I have already known few of them.
But would you really use WD40 in your refrigerator or whatever you will put food or similar in/on ?
jaaklucas likes this.

Nobody thinks that something is so easy like who is totally unable to do it.

Kawasaki Versys 07 Orange
Ex Aprilia Pegaso 96 Blue
Ex Suzuki DR 350 91

Last edited by duffyduck1; 11-18-2018 at 01:24 AM.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-18-2018, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffyduck1 View Post
Finally I got it!
I had to hack mi public IP address via VPN...

Interesting video, I have already known few of them.
But would you really use WD40 in your refrigerator or whatever you will put food or similar in/on ?
Exactly,well put.If you look at the rest of WD40 ingredients you see 10% trimethylbenzine and 10% xylene.Xylene is a super powerful solvent,if you need to remove bathtub silicone its the only thing full strength that works I have found. Its also in lacquer thinner,the smell of full on xylene in an unventilated room can get you very stoned and dizzy. Eventually solvents evaporate,but till then...No wonder wasps dont like it ,though maybe its less toxic than using a real wasp blaster. Who knows? Modern day chemistry is amazing but we are the guinea pigs as far as its affects.Trimethylbenzine I looked up,toxic stuff too.So really, WD40 is great for what its made for but dont get carried away with it,I wouldnt use it inside my fridge.
duffyduck1 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode