Kawasaki Flat Track - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

1Likes
  • 1 Post By RVerde

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 09:20 PM Thread Starter

Kawasaki Flat Track

Polaris/Indian has ruled the roost in American dirt track racing the last couple of years with a purpose built flat track bike. I read where Bryan Smith has announced he will return to Kawasaki equipped machinery for 2019. I understand that they scan Ebay, Cycle Trader, etc. for wrecked Ninjas or Versys and buy them for the engine. Versys cams get swapped for Ninja cams and stiffer valve springs. I'm not sure what else they did but the little engines are rumored to make 90+ hp.

I also see where KTM will have a factory team in both singles (basically 450cc motocross bikes with flat track wheels/tires) and in Twins with their 790. Next year should be pretty competitive.

If you like sideways racing and can't catch them on broadcast TV, they show up on Youtube about a week or so after the broadcast.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-24-2018, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVerde View Post
I read where Bryan Smith has announced he will return to Kawasaki equipped machinery for 2019.
I was surprised to hear that Bryan was going back to the Kawi. Does he really like it better than the tribe bike, or are there monetary incentives involved in his decision to head back to Japan?

He certainly was bullet fast when he was on the Kawi.

Will be interesting to see how he does on the little twin next season.

Cookin Wid Gas

2015 V-650 of course it's green...it's a Kazawalski.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-24-2018, 09:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkerjet View Post
I was surprised to hear that Bryan was going back to the Kawi. Does he really like it better than the tribe bike, or are there monetary incentives involved in his decision to head back to Japan?

He certainly was bullet fast when he was on the Kawi.

Will be interesting to see how he does on the little twin next season.
I'm not sure what mods are allowed by rules. If it's like most Superbike classes, you can only install parts that are readily available for purchase. Good job getting that many ponies out of "beginner bike" engine. Maybe they'll sell a few Ninja Bryan Smith editions with 90 hp?

It sounds to me that the Indian is really top notch for purchasing & running as-is but it didn't fit well with how Bryan liked to ride. It also sounds like Indian wasn't real happy about his mods to make it run faster for him since the mods made it look less Indian.
hawkerjet likes this.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-24-2018, 09:19 PM

Garage
Fanschoice.tv does a ton of live coverage of AFT events. Flattrack Live fb page does as well with coverage of "local" type races too.

Brad, Suwanee Ga.
'09 V650, several others too!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-27-2018, 07:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad906 View Post
Fanschoice.tv does a ton of live coverage of AFT events. Flattrack Live fb page does as well with coverage of "local" type races too.
Thanks for the reminder! Lots of motorsports on there. It's nice to have the heat races as well as the finals.

By the way, that Ms Texter can ride that Husky right past those lads.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode