Sanity Day in Canada - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

31Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-17-2018, 08:28 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Sanity Day in Canada

Finally, after over 80 years of nonsense, Canada legalizes marijuana.

This morning traffic is moving normally, people are off to work, the sky hasn't fallen and the streets are not filled with crazed lunatics.

Hopefully, the rest of the world will come to their senses too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-17-2018, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiley View Post
Finally, after over 80 years of nonsense, Canada legalizes marijuana.

This morning traffic is moving normally, people are off to work, the sky hasn't fallen and the streets are not filled with crazed lunatics.

Hopefully, the rest of the world will come to their senses too.
Here hold my beer...I mean joint, and watch this!!!

Cookin Wid Gas

2015 V-650 of course it's green...it's a Kazawalski.
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-17-2018, 11:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Tis a lovely day indeed! Me and my buds (pun intended) used to talk about this day. Nice to see it finally come to fruition.
Smiley likes this.

2010 Aprilia Shiver 750 "Ruthy"
2018 Kawasaki Versys 650LT ABS "Lucy"
post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-17-2018, 04:32 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Talk Of Pardon / Past Offenders

What is possibly neat and a very positive thing, we were all young once, a criminal offense means you can't leave Canada, a pardon for all the Woodstock people sounds more positive than declaring it available. Now all we need is to go back to hemp production. What is scary is farmers in BC are looking at dropping tomatoes as a green house production crop, for the more profitable weed, the day when weed takes a precedent to food production is scary.

Canadians with past pot convictions won’t have to pay or wait to apply for a pardon.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4563182/c...ralph-goodale/

Last edited by onewizard; 10-17-2018 at 04:40 PM.
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-17-2018, 05:38 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
a criminal offence means you can't leave Canada.
Canadians with past pot convictions won’t have to pay or wait to apply for a pardon.
We are free to leave Canada any time, so I expect that you are referring to draconian states that might bar a Canuck from entry for admitting to cannabis use.

Pardon? Meh, it means nothing to the previously-referred to draconians- the record remains.
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-17-2018, 08:00 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
The police stopped prosecuting pot sellers about 2 years ago when they announced legalization and there was a supreme court ruling, so we had pot stores pop up everywhere, at least in Ontario, and sell to anyone if they were an adult.

With new legalisation they have all had to close this week and wait until they are granted licences to sell it, which wont be untill april 2019. Until then the only way to purchase pot in ontario is online at www.ocs.ca according to news paper.

I notice that in the last year or so people are no longer being secretive about it. There are a lot of people, particularly those in responsible jobs, who you would not think smoke it, who have come out of the closet recently although they obviously don't consume at work.
Smiley likes this.
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-17-2018, 10:22 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Ite been legal here for a little over a year in NV.
My only real gripe is the amount of assholes I see smoking and driving now. I've caught 5 people smoking a joint while driving, in addition to smelling countless others at stoplights. But physically saw 5 joints in drivers hands.

Im pro legalization because I think its less harmful than alcohol (I don't use either substance). But man it ticks me off to see people abusing it like they do alcohol. I've lived in Vegas all my life, so I'm used to "party town USA" and not a prude. But until it was legal you would have never seen this type of behavior. Of course the idiots breaking the law using in public or while operating are the same type that would drink and drive.
Smiley likes this.
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 02:11 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 07:48 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
Back in my college days, the student council put on a film night with Reefer Madness and several other equally crazy propaganda films. It was hilarious and, of course, the auditorium was filled with smoke.
invader likes this.
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 10:07 AM

And let's not forget the "Refer addicts" scene...Peckerwood!
https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j...g7ssctdMxDtK7d

Ok so why is the video unavailable on this forum. Is there some new filter on the forum blocking it? It will post to facebook and other forums???? Right click, copy link location, paste

Help Mr. Wizzard.
invader likes this.

Cookin Wid Gas

2015 V-650 of course it's green...it's a Kazawalski.

Last edited by onewizard; 10-19-2018 at 08:02 PM.
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 12:12 PM

In B.C. its effectively been legal for years,Vancouver anyways.There have been shops on city streets that are loosely medical,you need a card which wasnt hard to get.The city regulated where they set up,not close to schools and no selling to minors.Legal tax paying small businesses,it worked well,everyone got along. Now it will be govt. sanctioned shops,be interesting to see how this works here in Vancouver.
What Onewizard is referring to about Tomatoes to Weed controversy is this I believe..In Delta,our local agricultural area a few years ago a big farm put a giant factory greenhouse on viable protected growing land for growing hothouse tomatoes.It was rationalized as it gave our area tomatoes all year long instead of importing.But alot of people questioned why it should be built on acres of good growing land instead of an industrial area.Growing in pots can be done anywhere.
Now the giant facility has switched to growing weed,alot more money in this.The smell is really strong and all the locals are complaining.I ride my bike that way and its strong.
I was coming out of the gas pumps in Squamish this summer and a car was jockeying a too fast three point turn and almost backed into me.My bright LED running lights saved me just as his bumper touched my front tire.As he opened his window to apologize,the weed smoke was pouring out.The weed they have now is so strong thinking is hard let alone driving,could be open season on bikes.Some of the states that have legal weed are still working on road side tests for impairment,its not there yet!
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 03:35 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I expect that many will look for instant wealth and success growing weed. Massive grow operations are very prevalent in Ontario and are providing a lot of jobs. However, competition will be fierce and costs are high. Profit margins will get thinner and the underground growers will still be growing. The legal shops will have to pay taxes, charge HST tax and shipping charges too (if required). Tomatoes might end up being more profitable.

What I found to be quite funny was how fast people like Julian "Hang Him" Fantino, the ex-head cop of the provincial police jumped on the cannabis investor wagon. The same hypocritical prick who equated cannabis to heroin is now reaping profit from it.

I will continue to support my "mom & pop" small dealer- good prices, quality product and no taxes. Yes, I use cannabis, as I have for over 50 years, but I have a notion that we will find that it was more fun when it was illegal. Stickin' it to the man!

ps, I condemn driving while impaired by anything- alcohol, prescription drugs, anger etc.
onewizard likes this.

Last edited by Smiley; 10-18-2018 at 03:39 PM.
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 03:59 PM

Some of the big legal grow ops grow stuff that has no getting high value.Stuff that 8 year olds can take to control seizures and pain control for chronic diseases.Hemp is an amazing fabric as well,riding jeans would be real strong if made of it.I think this will be the real value in legalizing it. My dad went out the hard way on morphine for cancer,some of that medical stuff would definitely have helped 20 years ago. The rest of it...I agree.When the mystique of it disappears through legalization overall consumption may go down!
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkerjet View Post
And let's not forget the "Refer addicts" scene...Peckerwood!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IC25lL-EwVM

Ok so why is the video unavailable on this forum. Is there some new filter on the forum blocking it? It will post to facebook and other forums????

Help Mr. Wizzard.
Reefer madness: the movie musical. Everyone needs to watch this movie. here is the trailer.

Last edited by Skypilot 69; 10-18-2018 at 07:29 PM.
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 08:01 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Doesn't matter. My employer won't allow it anyway. The stuff stays in your system way too long.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #16 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 02:17 AM

Garage
A cynic might comment that the government may have done this to create a new tax revenue income stream.
They are talking about similar legislation down here, and government revenue is a high talking point. On the subject of abusers, it's most likely that the same people caught DUI from alcohol will be the people caught DUI for pot.
We're going to need new technology to identify those who are so impaired that they should not be behind the wheel.

2017 Kawasaki Versys-X 300; 2010 Suzuki V-Strom 650; 1988 Suzuki GSXR1100J
post #17 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 06:49 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
As a teacher...who has to battle with a mass of failing grade students....yeah, these new legalizations will DEFINITELY help the education system.

hawkerjet likes this.
post #18 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-20-2018, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilsfan View Post
As a teacher...who has to battle with a mass of failing grade students....yeah, these new legalizations will DEFINITELY help the education system.

If the tax revenue goes to building schools like in Colorado... it kinda does help. I live in a county of 50,000 that desperately needs education funding, and pot taxes helped build and expand 3 school this last summer. Getting that accomplished without issuing a lot of bonds or borrowing is a real achievement around here, so I cannot see how that has hurt the education system in any way.

If students are using that is a different struggle, but if the fear is that legalization leads to tons of stoned students... that is wholly speculation and not backed by any examples from the many places where it is already legal.

If there is a rising number of students with failing grades, the microscope needs to be pointed at the family situation (who is encouraging and supporting the educational process for that student) and electronics use. If I had a fancy cell phone and this Fortnite game when I was in high school, for sure would have failed some classes.

Not trying to be combative but is legal cannabis really so detrimental to a large number of students?
onewizard and Smiley like this.

2016 Versys 650LT - Madstad, T-Bob, LeoVince, SeatConcepts, HyperPro CSC Damper, Shoodabeen Flashed
2003 KLR 685 - +1mm IN & EX SS valves P&P, Innovate Wideband O2 Sensor, Progressive 465 w/ RAP, ThermoBob
post #19 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-20-2018, 11:31 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by asphaltaddict33 View Post

...Not trying to be combative but is legal cannabis really so detrimental to a large number of students?

I get what you're saying. But as much as the revenue is/can be good there are also a lot of bad that can come from this. How much of the drug laws will be pushed to the brink because of this, like stoned employees or employee candidates? Many require drug testing prior to employment. How will this effect a hiring process? I can see a lot of lawsuits based on not getting hired because of a failed drug test.

I can also see health care costs rising and lung cancer rates increasing greatly. What if you get pulled over and your passenger is smoking but you aren't? How many will be high from second-hand smoke...and then claim they weren't smoking?

In the end, I really don't care what you do (drinking, smoking some refer) so as long as you do it responsibly. But I am strongly against having to pay for anything that comes with this like tax money going to pot smokers anonymous. My partying days have long gone. I don't drink or smoke so either one does nothing for me. My high comes from riding a motorcycle!
onewizard and twowheeladdict like this.
post #20 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-21-2018, 02:06 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Addiction Or Not / That Depends / Affects on Society

Yes the tile is puzzling, my neighbors smoke, I know many people that smoke, most of those people hold jobs, have homes and children and contribute to society. The first part of my title, I have witnessed, I have known people that lost their home, almost lost their marriage, the kids suffered, what I refer to is gambling, many different kinds. Where I grew up, the owners of the raceway wanted to bring in slot machines and up the gambling, council turned them down. They moved to a town called Elora, and yes the problem of addiction moved with the racetrack.
This thread started as a bit of Off Topic just as the forum is named after, there is some truth in it, my province of Ontario has a Billion dollar gambling industry that generates millions .Sad in my opinion but true.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...AT3gnX7j7R_cbD
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...caBZcXchcP5Cd1
Smiley and Skypilot 69 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode