Using earbuds versys Commo system - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

12Likes
  • 2 Post By zirconx
  • 2 Post By Jay_Chicago
  • 1 Post By BLACK DOG
  • 1 Post By Randyjaco
  • 1 Post By Fastoman
  • 2 Post By tommyvous59
  • 1 Post By Jay_Chicago
  • 1 Post By BLACK DOG
  • 1 Post By Fly-Sig

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018, 10:59 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Using earbuds versys Commo system

I just bought the Amazon choice Freedconn helmet combo system for $109 to test. It works great and is crystal clear outbound but over 30MPH the wind noise drowns out the caller or music. I have a brand new Arai helmet and I am not impressed with the noise protection. My older Thor helmet is way better.

So I would like to wear earbuds or ear plugs to protect my ears from damage. I would much prefer to just use a simple bluetooth ear bud system than pay high dollars for for Sena or Cardo and then add an ear bud adapter and buds.

Do you any of you use regular bluetooth headphones where you can actually answer and hear a caller on the freeway?

Thank you.

Scott

I feel safer on a motocross track than a freeway, but I am working on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018, 02:27 PM

Garage
I tried ear buds but they never worked out for me. Was still hard to hear, and they were uncomfortable after a short time.

What I ended up doing and was very happy with was to use a Sena + helmet speakers and wear foam earplugs. The ear plugs were comfortable and blocked the wind, and I was (mostly) able to hear the Sena even with the ear plugs in. The Sena's are expensive, but I was super impressed with it. Has a ton of features and is easy to use. Great battery life. I loved having no wires to mess with at stops.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018, 02:45 PM

Garage
As zirconx mentioned, your best best (if you still want to send/receive phone calls) is a Sena or Cardo setup + earplugs. I actually never ride without earplugs mostly because the music sounds better through the Sena speakers with earplugs in. At full volume, the only time I can't hear music or calls clearly is above 130 km/h (80 mph) on a WINDY day. Otherwise it's clear.

The video from FortNine has a good rundown of some speakers/earbud choices.

If you're not concerned about sending/receiving calls I would suggest looking in to snowboard helmet speakers. They're usually louder and less expensive.

2010 Aprilia Shiver 750 "Ruthy"
2018 Kawasaki Versys 650LT ABS "Lucy"
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zirconx View Post
I tried ear buds but they never worked out for me. Was still hard to hear, and they were uncomfortable after a short time.

What I ended up doing and was very happy with was to use a Sena + helmet speakers and wear foam earplugs. The ear plugs were comfortable and blocked the wind, and I was (mostly) able to hear the Sena even with the ear plugs in. The Sena's are expensive, but I was super impressed with it. Has a ton of features and is easy to use. Great battery life. I loved having no wires to mess with at stops.
Same here. Ear buds with sound systems didn't work quite well. I just wear disposable foam ear plugs at all times and the Sena 20S is just superb.
I can connect with 8 riding buddies at the same time, listen to antenna radio, songs, gps and answer my wife calling to know where I am from time to time.
tommyvous59 and Scott Zinda like this.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018, 04:15 PM

I know that it's some form of cranial misalignment, but when I tried to ride with earbuds I felt too isolated from my surroundings.
Scott Zinda likes this.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018, 06:55 PM

Garage
I hope someone has a solution, because my results have not been good. I just don't think that the technology is there yet. I have tried several ear buds and have found that they didn't work for me. The first communicator I got was a Vermoto cheapy off Ali Express. I next went all out with Sena 30s. They were only marginally better and definitely not worth the extra cost. I am thinking that the new Bose noise canceling ear buds might be a possibility. but I am not willing to pull the trigger yet. But if they are anything like my Quiet Comfort 15s, they could be a possibility. I have been using Sure Shot ear plugs with my communicators. But when my speed exceeds 50 mph. hearing music or a book is pretty much out of the question. I sure wish I could get my Quiet Comforts under my helmet, because I hate sticking things into my ear canal.

Good luck

Randy
Scott Zinda likes this.

Do yourself a favor, find America One News Network (OANN) on your cable carrier. 208 on Uverse. News without the Network BS or bias

Last edited by Randyjaco; 10-18-2018 at 07:32 PM.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018, 07:58 PM
Super Moderator

https://www.11street.my/productdetai...dset-motorbike.

Been using this set from China for a few years and no problem even with ear plug.
Scott Zinda likes this.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-10-2018, 08:22 PM

i know, I'm cheap, but i use skull candy or similar buds to listen to music riding, and it protects my ears as well as decreases fatigue. i figure I've got enough to keep me busy, avoiding cagers bent on dispensing death, than to be distracted with the phone. i check my phone every 2 hours or so when i gas up and stretch my legs.
Devilsfan and Scott Zinda like this.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK DOG View Post
I know that it's some form of cranial misalignment, but when I tried to ride with earbuds I felt too isolated from my surroundings.
I was rushing out the other day and forgot my ear plugs...I was so used to the quietness in my helmet that could not ride at all had to head back home and get it.
Scott Zinda likes this.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 06:57 PM

Ear plugs I can handle
Ear buds not so much...specially if I'm riding down town.
Down town Chicago drivers are a special kind of stupid.
Scott Zinda likes this.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 10:25 AM

As an airline pilot I've spent literally decades looking for a noise blocking communication system. Currently I have an in-ear headset which works extremely well. The concept can be simply and cheaply modified to motorcycle use.

But to back up for a minute, I also have a set of Klipsch earbuds that do a pretty good job though not well enough for my tastes on a motorcycle. They may be good enough for you. Protecting what's left of my precious hearing is #1 priority for me, and my helmet is not quiet. But if your helmet is moderately quiet then the Klipsch may be a good way to go. They have oval shaped soft silicone tips which fit the ear canal better than round tips. On Amazon they sell a variety of flanged tips which may fit whatever brand earbuds you already have. Just search for "oval earbud tips". I find the single flange fit better for me and block noise better. But if the double or triple flange fit your ear ok then those could be better at blocking noise. Good fit is critical with this style of tip. Your ear canals may be different sizes btw. I find the silicone flange tips tend to dislodge sometimes, so for me they aren't suitable for motorcycling.

Now back to aviation headsets and how to make it work for you. Clarity Aloft are the best of the best for in-ear aviation headsets, and they use memory foam tips which will seal the ear much better than the silicone flanged style tips. The noise reduction is probably in the 30 db range, so it is very good indeed. As good as the best earplugs. There are many brands of foam tips available on Amazon which will fit ordinary earbuds that will block a lot of noise. I would recommend memory foam, and try several different sizes. Too small and they leak noise, too large and they hurt. The foam breaks down after a while so the tips need to be replaced periodically. I get about 100 hours out of a set at work, which cost a couple of dollars each. I would suggest earbuds with some kind of arch over the ear so if the cord gets tugged it won't pull it out of your ear.
Scott Zinda likes this.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 07:12 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I found the brand "Snug phones" bluetooth headphones and they sound amazing. They protected my ears well from my noisy helmet and the sound was very crisp and accurate. I was able to talk with the three button bar mic tucked in to my chin strap, however placing and answering calls was not easy with a specific large button for use with gloves.

I am trying some different brands by buying some used helmet systems with an option to return them or resell them on craigslist to find what I want. I am thinking long term I will prefer some high quality speakers that sound decent though my ear plugs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	81lp6yRoq6L._SL1500_-3.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	158907  

Scott

I feel safer on a motocross track than a freeway, but I am working on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode