I hate riding in the wind! - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

9Likes
  • 2 Post By Buffalo_Bob
  • 1 Post By 52Degrees
  • 1 Post By hawkerjet
  • 1 Post By Jay_Chicago
  • 2 Post By fasteddiecopeman
  • 1 Post By JRW2007
  • 1 Post By tommyvous59

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-07-2018, 08:56 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I hate riding in the wind!

Our day started off great, a sunny day in the mid seventies, riding with my buddy of 40 plus years. We headed out in the Sierra foothills down Hwy 49 from Auburn through Gold Rush country, past Placerville (Hangtown), Jackson, San Andreas and we turned west on Hwy 4 at Angels Camp and headed down a delightful stretch of perfect motorcycle road to Copperopolis.

As my buddy topped off his tiny gas tank on his 750 Honda Shadow, we noticed the wind had suddenly appeared. As we continued west the wind gusts got so bad we had to back down our speed to 45-50 mph because we felt like we may be blown into oncoming traffic. The wind gusts were so unpredictable at some times I had to bank the bike over like I was making a turn, then suddenly the gust would stop and I would have to suddenly correct. This continued and we had to fight the wind for the remaining 1 ˝ hours on the way back home. We both were exhausted.

I was hoping to work on my chicken strips a little today; little did I know I would work on them trying to go straight down the road!

I've ridden in very cold conditions, very hot conditions, and once in the rain for 800 miles. I count it all good experience.

Not so the wind!
jaaklucas and 52Degrees like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-07-2018, 11:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Just riding to work from Turlock to Lathrop has been quite a thing yesterday and today. I feel your pain.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk
Buffalo_Bob likes this.

2016 KLZ1000GBFAL
No mods yet
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 09:41 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I did a 3 day trip earlier this year. On day 2 I departed Palmdale on hiway 14 enroute to connect with Angeles Forest Highway.

It was around 0730 in the morning and the early morning desert wind was already blowing. The freeway heads south up into the mountains. The road cuts thru a number of small ridges in the mountains. Each ridge provides wind protection and the gaps in between act like a venturi, accelerating the wind.

The wind was from my right, so I was leaning about 30 degrees right in the wind, then suddenly the wind stops at the cut ridge and you almost turn hard into the side of the ridge. On and on this roller coaster continued for about 7 or 8 miles. Man what a cluster.

I'm with ya on the dislike for riding in the wind. Just like mean people...wind sucks when riding.
Buffalo_Bob likes this.

Cookin Wid Gas

2015 V-650 of course it's green...it's a Kazawalski.
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo_Bob View Post
....As we continued west the wind gusts got so bad we had to back down our speed to 45-50 mph because we felt like we may be blown into oncoming traffic....
Sir, you've just described a normal riding day across the the Illinoisan's flat prairies Some days I feel like I could easily take off and do a short flight just by stretching my legs out.
Buffalo_Bob likes this.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 12:27 PM Thread Starter

My inner thighs are really sore today which really shows how much you steer the bike with your legs!
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 12:43 PM

Wind sucks. The worst is struggling with crosswinds and having a pair of Harleys pass you like there is barely a breeze blowing... those are the only days I am envious of an 800lbs bike

2016 Versys 650LT - Madstad, T-Bob, LeoVince, SeatConcepts, HyperPro CSC Damper, Shoodabeen Flashed
2003 KLR 685 - +1mm IN & EX SS valves P&P, Innovate Wideband O2 Sensor, Progressive 465 w/ RAP, ThermoBob
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 12:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by asphaltaddict33 View Post
Wind sucks. The worst is struggling with crosswinds and having a pair of Harleys pass you like there is barely a breeze blowing... those are the only days I am envious of an 800lbs bike
Thats true, my 800lb + Vulcan 1600 didn't get pushed around much in crosswinds, but it was a handful in the twisties.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 04:56 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I have never felt in danger riding in cross winds and gusty winds, but it definitely is mentally and physically exhausting. I was riding from Nebraska to North Dakota one time and I finally decided to find some backroads where the farmers had planted a lot of evergreens to keep the winds from whipping up their fresh plowed fields into the road.

I never felt that I was pushed around, but I did feel the bike moving under me as it corrected to keep me straight. Keeping your focus on the horizon is the best way to keep the bike tracking down the road.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 06:10 PM

It's all fun and games till the gusts are so strong you literally can't change lanes....
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018, 09:07 AM

Yeah, and having a light, tall bike on a short wheelbase makes it worse, even more "challenging" if you've got a top case on. :^)

2015 Versys 650 ABS
AMA, MSTA, Retreads

Nat'l Cycle "Sport-Touring" screen; Givi hand guards; BMW Sport Grips; Omni-Cruise throttle lock; Motowerk mirror extenders, side stand foot & highway pegs; Denali Mini Soundbomb horn; SW-Motech top rack, Quick-Lock Evo side racks, wide foot pegs & GPS shelf; Givi E-22 side cases & V-47 top case; RKA 13L Shiloh Road tank bag; Hyper-Lites; Sargent seat; Shoodaben ECU reflash; decalectomy.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018, 03:00 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle E View Post
It's all fun and games till the gusts are so strong you literally can't change lanes....
Or, as happened to me riding around "Turn-Again Bay" just S of Anchorage in Cook Inlet, when a wind-gust moved me into the next lane. Thankfully there was nothing there at the time....

And that was riding my Suzuki Bandit 1200S, which isn't nearly as tall as is the Versys, and weighs more.
Buffalo_Bob and Kyle E like this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018, 06:10 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo_Bob View Post
Thats true, my 800lb + Vulcan 1600 didn't get pushed around much in crosswinds, but it was a handful in the twisties.
Yep! I remember my old VTX1800, "The Tank"! Rode like a Cadillac on the freeways - smooth and floating. But just trying to turn it around in the garage was a workout!
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-10-2018, 07:50 AM

I road of Louisville, KY to Colorado last year. The cross wind in Kansas was insane. hours and hours riding leaning to the right. Passing semi's became impossible. and when went over an overpass the wind was swirling terrible and would blow me 5 feet side to side. it was exhausting. but the next week in Colorado was totally worth it!!
Buffalo_Bob likes this.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-10-2018, 08:04 PM

my worse wind story was in southwest wyoming. a front had blown thru and coming out from around royal gorge, it was bad. crossed the interstate heading north and found a place to gas up. barely got there. gassed up, but didn't leave as the wind was getting worse and worse. finally i tried to make a break for it (i should have stayed put), and as i went through a cut through between hills where the wind funneled through, i was SLAMMED. i leaned hard into it, but it actually started to lift me, and i could feel my forks extending bad, then i came down hard as i got to the cover of the next hill. i can't believe that my contact patch held, and i continued, much to my relief, in a protected canyon.

another time, i fought it from bernalillo, NM al most to el paso, very windy with smoke, from a fire in eastern arizona. a bunch of young guys passed me and pointed like clowns as i'm hunkered down over my tank struggling. if i could have reached them, i would have rung their necks like a chicken, little "bastages".
Devilsfan likes this.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-21-2018, 06:36 PM

Garage
I'd rather ride in a steady rain, than a super gusty wind any time, I hate the constant adjustments you gotta make to hold it in your lane !

Poor planning on your part, doesn't constitute an emergency on mine!
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-21-2018, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asphaltaddict33 View Post
Until the wind catches the fork mounted fairing on the Street Glides and Electra Glides, then things get ... interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Or, as happened to me riding around "Turn-Again Bay" just S of Anchorage in Cook Inlet, when a wind-gust moved me into the next lane. Thankfully there was nothing there at the time....

And that was riding my Suzuki Bandit 1200S, which isn't nearly as tall as is the Versys, and weighs more.
Interestingly enough, I used to have a Bandit 600S and it got pushed around by the wind more than the Versys, the B600 was a bit lighter than a V650 and like all Bandits has awful front suspension which doesn't do any favors in a cross wind.

I live in Southern Wyoming, so I am used to riding in the legendary Wyoming wind haha.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode