Road "debris" and other WTF's! - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

31Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-02-2018, 04:43 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Road "debris" and other WTF's!

After today's ride I started thinking what other "road hazards" and weird happenings you've encountered while riding. What have you encountered in your travels???

Today, I got out early before the daily rain and storms we've been having here in Florida. Went up north into the Croom area, took a road I never rode on and got lost. Somehow managed to wind up on Citrus Pkwy. A nice and quiet road that runs with willow-like trees that form a tunnel, with lots of ponds along the way.
I get behind some cager pulling a trailer and going way below the speed limit. I passed him, went a few miles up and see these spotty shadows on the road up ahead. Got closer and looked like some branches or something that maybe fell in the road. Got even closer and noticed said "branches" moving.
As I came up to this "debris" I veered into the other lane as it was a HUGE-ass water moccasin trying to get across the road!!!

I'm trying not to embellish this guy but he was folded in half to where it's tail was touching it's nose, laid out across the lane and covered 1/4 in from the yellow line to 1/4 from the white line. And, he was thick!!! I'm thinking at least 5-6" in diameter!

As I passed it started lifting it's head up and all I could think of is this video:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-05-2018, 02:56 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Back in my dirt bike days I was following my son when I saw him swerve up ahead.

When I got to the spot I quickly saw why, a big fat rattle snake was sunning itself along side the trail. I swerved and lifted up my feet off the pegs. Really got my attention for sure.

Got a question on the title of this post. Debris, which we pronounce Duh Bree. The Brits pronounce it Day Bree and this begs the question, what do the Brits call it if it occurs at night?

Cookin Wid Gas

2015 V-650 of course it's green...it's a Kazawalski.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-05-2018, 06:33 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkerjet View Post
...Got a question on the title of this post. Debris, which we pronounce Duh Bree. The Brits pronounce it Day Bree and this begs the question, what do the Brits call it if it occurs at night?
I did some work w/ the RAF at one time. I BELIEVE they refer to it as "BLOODY hell!!!".

Devilsfan likes this.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-05-2018, 06:41 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Why you never ride in the middle of a lane and always stay in the tire tracks of the car in front of you unless you have clear vision.

Thats a 12v motorcycle battery at 7 sec.

post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-05-2018, 09:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle E View Post
Why you never ride in the middle of a lane and always stay in the tire tracks of the car in front of you unless you have clear vision.

Thats a 12v motorcycle battery at 7 sec.

Wow!!! How in the hell did that get there?!?! Must have fallen out on a Harley!
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-05-2018, 09:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Got a question on the title of this post. Debris, which we pronounce Duh Bree. The Brits pronounce it Day Bree and this begs the question, what do the Brits call it if it occurs at night?

I have no idea but I'm still laughing at that one video where the Brit calls the cager a "knob"!!!
hawkerjet and Kyle E like this.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-05-2018, 10:18 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilsfan View Post
I've been next to a few at stop lights, the way some of them shake.......
Maybe twowheeladdict can confirm

Probably came off a lawnmower. TONS of lawn maintenance trailers running around town in questionable condition.
Devilsfan likes this.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-06-2018, 12:13 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
More than once I have seen a 24 foot extension ladder in the middle of the freeway. Hit that puppy on a bike and it's game over.

I avoid riding at night mainly for this reason. Plus at my "seasoned" age I don't see that good at night.
Devilsfan likes this.

Cookin Wid Gas

2015 V-650 of course it's green...it's a Kazawalski.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-06-2018, 07:47 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Quote:
I have no idea but I'm still laughing at that one video where the Brit calls the cager a "knob"!!!
There are a lot of strange Brit sayings. I remember my British cousin asking me when we were teens if my parents let me have fags. Uh, no they don't!

My elderly British mother is in her late 80's now and at times uses the old slang "Blow me". It always feels uncomfortable when she does.
hawkerjet and Devilsfan like this.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-06-2018, 07:49 AM

Quote:
More than once I have seen a 24 foot extension ladder in the middle of the freeway. Hit that puppy on a bike and it's game over.

I avoid riding at night mainly for this reason. Plus at my "seasoned" age I don't see that good at night.
I really enjoy night highway riding. It's very peaceful. But, yeah, I avoid it because of the hazards.
hawkerjet and Devilsfan like this.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-06-2018, 07:54 AM

Last edited by Fly-Sig; 09-06-2018 at 07:55 AM. Reason: Duplicate
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-06-2018, 08:56 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Yeh, there's nothing like pieces of truck tires laying all over the road when when all you have is a headlight and you're travelling 80mph on a dark freeway. Been there, done that.
Devilsfan likes this.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-06-2018, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricki Ticki Tavi View Post
Yeh, there's nothing like pieces of truck tires laying all over the road when when all you have is a headlight and you're travelling 80mph on a dark freeway. Been there, done that.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-06-2018, 12:41 PM

Quote:
As I came up to this "debris" I veered into the other lane as it was a HUGE-ass water moccasin trying to get across the road!!!
Yesterday I was mountain biking on a steep rough trail, going slowly in 1st gear most of the way. A very attractive young woman was overtaking me on foot, which of course motivated me to not let her get the better of me. There was a 4 ft snake crossing the trail just ahead, but it was worth the risk of a bite to demonstrate my athleticism.

Eventually I had to capitulate to her youthful energy which resulted in a very nice conversation with her as I walked my bike uphill for the next half hour.
jaaklucas, Kyle E and Devilsfan like this.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-06-2018, 05:19 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:

Back in the day, I arrived back at the airport for a 'late' drive home after a three-day flight pairing.

Another pilot came in, told about his 'accident' coming in for HIS flight. Traveling along QC 40 (W of the Montreal Airport) when suddenly he hit something and things "ground to a halt". A car ahead of him had hit a pole along the hwy, knocking it down ACROSS the travel lane, and then HE hit it, blew ALL FOUR tires, and I think, bent all his wheels.

VERY lucky that he wasn't hurt!
hawkerjet likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-06-2018, 05:55 PM

I had a "debris in progress" encounter on my motorbike a few years back riding home from work.

I'd just gotten on the freeway and noticed a scrap metal truck with a massive load ahead if me. I decided I'd rather not be behind that so I moved over to the middle lane. As I pulled closer to the side of the truck I saw the drop axle tire facing my way was bouncing like a Harlem Globetrotters basketball. I had a premonition of bad things to come but had a car on my left so I rolled of the throttle a bit. Seconds later there's a HUGE boom and shards of tire flying out in front of me. I scrunched my head down and had a massive chunk go right over my head. I also managed to swerve between 2 cars on my left and not run over the other giant chunks.

Didn't wreck anything but a clean pair of undies.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-06-2018, 08:15 PM

when i was going thru houston at night with friends in 1978, we were laughing and drinking beer (yes, the good old days in texas), i'm about to go under an overpass, i look up, i see a bad crash with metal sparks on said overpass, and just as i pass the other side of the overpass, A CAR DOOR lands FEET behind my car !!!! one second slower and it would have plastered the top of my dart swinger !!!

years later, in the early 90's, AGAIN in houston, i was driving in from the east on I10 around east loop 610, heavy traffic, wife and kids in tow, when i see a car on the other side of the freeway hit a big blue plastic crash barrier, and knock it into the air like a missile, across the median, towards my car going 70 mph. i was boxed in, couldn't avoid it, and it hit the front of my accord, then bounced back across the freeway again. poor subsequent bastard to get hit. luckily, it didn't hit my windshield, and didn't even leave a scratch on the car !!!

houston is always full on construction and trash on the road (texas too in general). NEVER follow closely on a bike nor in a car. the last time i drove thru i had to big time swerve to avoid large road debris. here, too many people load stuff in trucks and trailers and don't properly secure it.

i could go on and on .................
Devilsfan likes this.
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-06-2018, 08:19 PM

i know, the above were CAR events.

my main debris problem on my bike is the MOVING debris (cars/trucks) that are trying to take me out.

I did hit a raccoon riding one night ...........
Devilsfan likes this.
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-10-2018, 05:29 PM

I have too many to count but one that stands out as really funny now but wasn't at the time was when I was canyon bombing in SoCal on Mulholland Hwy. I was passing between 2 cliffs that were created when the road was built and I saw a black dot in the air. For some reason I thought "Is that a UFO". Yes, it was. It was an unidentified falling rock and it hit my helmet (Bell Star - Snell Rated) dead center just above my visor. The rock was about 2" in diameter and I was doing over 70. My hands left the handlebars but I hooked them with my feet as I fell backwards and I managed to sit back up and gain control of the bike and then pull over. My helmet was toast, but not my head. How I kept from wiping out I will never know but I have a lot of respect for those signs that say "Caution - Falling Rocks".
tommyvous59 and Devilsfan like this.
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-10-2018, 06:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Riot View Post
I have too many to count but one that stands out as really funny now but wasn't at the time was when I was canyon bombing in SoCal on Mulholland Hwy. I was passing between 2 cliffs that were created when the road was built and I saw a black dot in the air. For some reason I thought "Is that a UFO". Yes, it was. It was an unidentified falling rock and it hit my helmet (Bell Star - Snell Rated) dead center just above my visor. The rock was about 2" in diameter and I was doing over 70. My hands left the handlebars but I hooked them with my feet as I fell backwards and I managed to sit back up and gain control of the bike and then pull over. My helmet was toast, but not my head. How I kept from wiping out I will never know but I have a lot of respect for those signs that say "Caution - Falling Rocks".

Wow!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode