Harley Davidson enters the world of adv bikes - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 02:17 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Harley Davidson enters the world of adv bikes

HD have introduced new, 2020 bikes that break the traditional HD mold. An adv bike, a street fighter and electric bicycles, perhaps because they feel basing the future of the company solely on licensing their brand to apparel manufacturers and building heritage cruiser style bikes is risky. The question is will more than just Harley people buy these bikes? I sincerely hope so however for this to happen it must make more of an effort than say the failed Buell Ulysses.

Based on a friend who owned a Ulysses I say the Ulysses was a great bike and perhaps the bike that invented the sports touring adv bike category the Versys 650 and 1000 belong to, but was not build in high enough quantities to warrant the mechanical and reliability refinement it needed. It was constantly breaking down and had a lot of little mechanical niggles like burning legs on the high exhaust and a red line at 5000 RPM or a giant front disk rotor that always wobbled.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/07/30/harl...-about-pr.html

https://www.cycleworld.com/harley-da...following-2019

What ever is powering these bikes appears to be > 1200cc, water cooled and has a common oil sump like modern japanese and european bikes.

Last edited by twowheels; 07-31-2018 at 03:34 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 03:58 PM

That "adventure bike" is ugly
turn8a likes this.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 05:52 PM

Garage
ADV from space

It was created by The Borg! You will be assimilated!!
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 06:12 PM

Garage
That adventure bike sure doesn't look very nimble. It is going to require a rider much bigger and stronger than me. I wonder what the weight is going to be on that beast?

Randy
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 07:44 PM

IMO, too boxy-looking. Also, I wouldn't trust the engine. Looks like parts would fall off the minute you hot some bumps! I ain't bashing HD as a company here, just those new concepts they put out. Harley's got a tough road ahead of them.

Are they planning to keep these bikes belt-driven? Because if so, I wouldn't buy an ADV bike with a belt.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 08:05 PM

Should have just brought back the Buell Ulysses.

2017 Versys 650 LT -- Titanium
Debadged, Moto Werk lowering kit, slimmed down OEM seat, Shad SH33 top case, Scorpion Serket Taper exhaust, Moto Werk 1" risers, Grab On grip covers
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 09:10 PM

Where do you hang bags and rack?

Unmitigated risk aversion is the new Puritanism; complete with witch hunts funny outfits and humorless preachers thundering doom. The Deity is Safety; Satan is a Lawyer; but the object is the same: to suck the life out of life and tell you how to live it.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 09:38 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I admire them for being original with the style. What I wonder is how functional and competitive it will be be. There is no point in building a 1000cc adv bike that sells for the price of a fully optioned BMW 1200 GS but that gets bested at every turn by a Honda Africa Twin. Standard integrated crash bars and belly pan sounds like a great idea, as long as they are actually functional and not decorative. There seems to be a missing engine. Has anyone heard Harley announce a new mid size water cooled power plant with integrated transmission?
Shibumik likes this.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 11:41 PM

more power to HD for trying. i hope they pull it off. HD bikes are in general, form over function. to successfully compete in the adv market, they need to focus more on functionality. the bike can't just look good, it's got to deliver.
Shibumik likes this.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 07:27 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyvous59 View Post
more power to HD for trying. i hope they pull it off. HD bikes are in general, form over function. to successfully compete in the adv market, they need to focus more on functionality. the bike can't just look good, it's got to deliver.
Form over function accurately describes all but the touring line up. I've ridden them all and don't understand most of them. The Road Glide is an amazing motorcycle tourer.

On the other hand my wife said my Versys looked like a praying mantis

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 08:53 AM

Well, this has stirred the pot a bit - and that's good. And I do rather like the vacuum cleaner nozzle in place of a headlight feature on the ADV bike.

Actually, I hope H-D succeeds in appealing to a wider range of riders. The leather vest adorned with pins and patches crowd is aging and the newer generations don't seem as inclined to buy into the H-D cruiser genre. If reports are correct, they don't seem to be buying much of anything we older creatures believe to be worthy of purchasing - homes, cars, motorcycles. How things change, yes, no?
Shibumik likes this.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 02:08 PM

More power to them. Gotta do something. Otherwise, eventually, you're just going to run out of harmless old farts who braid their beards and play let's dress up like pirates.

Tho if it was me, I'd concentrate first on making generators, lawnmowers, ATVs, outboards ... anything so you have sales all four seasons instead of just one, one and a half.

Glad to see it.

Unmitigated risk aversion is the new Puritanism; complete with witch hunts funny outfits and humorless preachers thundering doom. The Deity is Safety; Satan is a Lawyer; but the object is the same: to suck the life out of life and tell you how to live it.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 07:10 PM

A H-D generator.
Would the Motor Company purchase Lucas Electric for that venture?

2008 Versys-sold
2016 Yamaha FJ-09
1988 Honda Hawk GT NT650

Truth
It is more important now than ever.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 07:33 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
On the other hand my wife said my Versys looked like a praying mantis
I can't help associating a face in my mind either with any bike I see. I always thought the Versys looked like a mantis / dragon / scorpion. The Multistrada looks like an eagle face, KTM is just badass transformer face. Harley ADV is...mole, pig don't quite know yet.
Shibumik likes this.

2015 Kawasaki Versys 650 - Barkbuster hand guards, Hepko & Becker crash bars, Oxford Heated sports grips, Motowerk lowering Kit with Kickstand insert, Shad SH45 Top Case and Brake Light, Shad Versys Top Mount Kit, Superlite 43T Rear Sprocket, National Cycle VStream Sport Touring Windscreen.

Roaming the country around Columbus in ever wider circles.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 08:47 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormRider View Post
I can't help associating a face in my mind either with any bike I see. I always thought the Versys looked like a mantis / dragon / scorpion. The Multistrada looks like an eagle face, KTM is just badass transformer face. Harley ADV is...mole, pig don't quite know yet.
It kind of looks like Bender from the cartoon series! I still think it looks better than the first generation Versys 650 headlight, lol. I'd love to see HD score a home run with a non cruiser design like the Pan America or their electric bikes but it may be a bit much to ask on their first outing.

StormRider likes this.

Last edited by twowheels; 08-01-2018 at 08:52 PM.
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 11:25 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormRider View Post
The Super Tenere reminds me of a bird thatís lost itís beak - and doesnít know why! Aside from sounding like two skeletons having sex in a metal trashcan, they are quite worthy ADV machines.
StormRider likes this.

ďIt would be nice to spend billions on schools and roads, but right now that money is desperately needed for political ads.Ē

Andy Borowitz
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 04:14 PM
Super Moderator

Shibumik likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 10:34 PM

Garage
To me that top photo looks photoshopped. This is all part of an HD hype video found here: https://www.harley-davidson.com/us/e...ore-roads.html

It is all smoke and mirrors - and the glimpse of this HD Adventure being jumped in the desert is fake. The video shows a bike with cast wheels, the video shows a bike with a different muffler, the video shows a bike without the sid pan, the video shows a bike with a different alternator cover, a different gas tank, a different headlight assembly.

2017 Kawasaki Versys-X 300; 2010 Suzuki V-Strom 650; 1988 Suzuki GSXR1100J
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-03-2018, 09:27 AM

Garage
I ride a gen 2 V, so keep that in mind...

I like the look of the "ADV cruiser" H-D. It doesn't look like any other bike and that is a good thing. I prefer function over form, like the headlight on my V. Am I interested in an 800+lb. cruiser on knobby tires? No, that is a bike that won't meet my functional needs. But, I bet that they will sell well along with H-D branded Klim gear. With easy financing, the $60k "off the lot" price won't be too hard to swallow. And their owners will take them on long highway rides to groomed gravel roads and fully serviced camp grounds. Or to the closest coffee shop.

Regardless, H-D needs to get out of the rut they have been stuck in for decades if they want their sales to increase. The "bad ass biker" image isn't selling well to the younger buyers, and the "new fangled tech" isn't selling to the aging "loud pipes and vest with patches" crowd. But the tech is required to meet existing and impending laws, so the Motor Co. has to diversify their market or sales will continue to fall.
Shibumik likes this.

2011 V650 in Black, well accessorized.
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-03-2018, 12:01 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
It kind of looks like Bender from the cartoon series!
Lol, Bender it is!

2015 Kawasaki Versys 650 - Barkbuster hand guards, Hepko & Becker crash bars, Oxford Heated sports grips, Motowerk lowering Kit with Kickstand insert, Shad SH45 Top Case and Brake Light, Shad Versys Top Mount Kit, Superlite 43T Rear Sprocket, National Cycle VStream Sport Touring Windscreen.

Roaming the country around Columbus in ever wider circles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode