GPS Tracker / Bike Alarm ???? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

5Likes
  • 1 Post By onewizard
  • 1 Post By notyou83
  • 1 Post By notyou83
  • 1 Post By RMS
  • 1 Post By Crimson Apple

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-01-2018, 07:52 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMS View Post
Well crud, my V has flown the coup. Some one has taken it away from me
On Saturday I went out side to do some work on it , and dang.. its parking spot was empty.
I guess that my 09 green V was just to tempting and some one really wonted it , bad enough to
take it away from me
I will see how much the insurance company will pay me for it , then I will decide
on if to replace it or pocket the money and put new parts on my car or both
There is no Smillies with a grey cloud hanging over them

P.S. I have been looking at GPS trackers for bikes
and there are some good ones out there,, any thoughts on these trackers would be appreciated
I am going to start a thread, I have been told by police that if a thief wants a bike bad enough, they will get it, a alarm may work, however knowing where the bike is, solves 2 problems, it catches the thief and also gets your bike back . With all the modifications on my bike, the insurance would never cover the parts and labour I have invested.
unstable_rider likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-01-2018, 07:54 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

GPS Tracker / Bike Alarm ????

I found https://www.itfactory.ca/trackimo-3g...8c&fo_s=gplaca

My thought is as I expressed in the first post, involves both a bike alarm or tracking device. Many times thieves are watching to see if a alarm is present, once they discover it is, they sometimes work in pairs, one keeps tripping the alarm until the owner disables it, it only takes minutes, a simple disconnecting of the battery and the bike is steal-able. One person follows the owner and the other steals the bike, when it is gone, chances aren't good to find it.
Like I said, it may happen at your house, you think it is a dog or cat,you get tired of resetting it and take a chance, next thing it is gone. My preference would be to be able to know where the bike went, without the thief knowing, and that means telling no one you installed it except possibly the insurance company ( if a discount is available ).

Last edited by onewizard; 05-01-2018 at 08:03 AM.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 02:25 AM

I've thought about a tracker. Looking on Amazon, it seems most (if not, then all) have some sort of service contract for monitoring.

Personally, I'd rather have something that I can simply "ping" to get its location via GPS, then give that info to the police (assuming that's needed). Why would I need a monthly contract for something like that?

I like the idea of a tracking unit, but it seems too many companies will use this as an excuse to take money from people monthly for a service they will need once or a few times at best.
onewizard likes this.
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 03:41 AM
Super Moderator

with so much technology available why cant factory have personal setting for bike like owner thump print /digital password to activate or else no system will work. we have lived for a century with the KEY system and its about time we go digital..

Just a thought
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 07:58 AM
Super Moderator

I think you have to consider - do you want to disable the bike from being started, or attempt to lock it up in it's tracks, with an alarm or something audible to supplement that. I like the idea of being able to track it, but it's mostly likely going to cost you money on a monthly basis.

I would guess a person could rig a hidden toggle to interrupt the fuse going to the fuel pump, etc. Or, if the bike was going to be left somewhere for an overnight or extended time, just pull the fuse.

As far as trying to lock up a bike in place, I have heard of large Harley's going missing by skinny hoodlums that rock them onto a pair of skate boards and they are quickly and silently gone and out of sight, with an awaiting truck or trailer around the corner working with them.

I have an idea for something like a simple Mercury switch so when the bike is tilted off the side stand to an upright position to be attempted to be rolled away or started, it might blow the horn and flash my pulsing rear LED brake light. Just an idea.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 08:52 AM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
i have a cheap ($20 i think) alarm off ebay on my bike and its prevented sylvester getting stolen twice that i know of back when i lived in north portland. as for gps tracker, on some of my other bikes in the past i just took one of those pay as you go (boost) phones hid it on the bike wired into a switched power supply so it was always charging and if the bike got stolen i could go on there website activate it and trace it

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-03-2018, 01:11 AM

silviefox, I like the idea of a pay as you go phone for tracking. Probably cheapest option long term

"pay as you go (boost) phones hid it on the bike wired into a switched power supply"
Randyjaco likes this.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-03-2018, 03:53 AM
Super Moderator

https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...3cc055c71KBFa4

A cheap Alarm/Mp3 player with speakers. The alarm goes off when you move the bike and quite difficult to disengage the alarm system as its all wired and hidden under the seat. Have been using for a while .
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-03-2018, 11:28 AM
RMS

Food for thought,,, Thank you all
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-17-2018, 11:20 AM
RMS

OneWizard
I am not sure if I can drop names on this forum you may need to delete this one.
I have been looking at the( Scorpio) alarm systems made for motorcycles
and there are a lot of options , they aint cheep, but very good quality
with a lot of options with there alarm systems
it is worth taking a look at
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-17-2018, 01:24 PM

Garage
Quote:
OneWizard
I am not sure if I can drop names on this forum you may need to delete this one.
I have been looking at the( Scorpio) alarm systems made for motorcycles
and there are a lot of options , they aint cheep, but very good quality
with a lot of options with there alarm systems
it is worth taking a look at

I put a Scorpio Alarm on my 09 Versys back in 2010. It was a very nice system. It would alarm and un-alarm itself depending on how close or away you got from the bike. If some one got too close it would start to chirp at them. It only went off once while i was having lunch with a buddy in Santa Ana. The key fob in my pocket started vibrating and by the time i got out back. No one was close to the bike but there was a group of guys that looked like they got caught with their hand in the cookie jar close by...

IMG_0113 by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-06-2018, 01:12 PM
RMS

I had received a phone call on Saturday night about 11:00 pm from the Mesquite Texas police dept. the officer told me that they
had recovered my V ,, (( It is no longer the fast green color, the thief had repainted it !!,,)) which now belongs to State Farm.
I had taken the insurance money and put down on a 2018 Chevy Cruz ,, man I LIKE that little car.
so needless to say that I am now a cagier only now,,, I may not get another bike even though I really like to ride.
But I would like to stick around this site and read the post on this forum if you folks do not mind
onewizard likes this.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-06-2018, 06:06 PM

Garage
As for cheap, can't you just wire up and hide a burner phone on the bike? Then if the bike is stolen, just track the phone. No monthly subscription, they are relatively cheap and you always have an emergency back up phone.

Randy
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-07-2018, 02:53 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
...But I would like to stick around this site and read the post on this forum if you folks do not mind
Stick around - who knows, you just MIGHT get another V!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-08-2018, 09:54 PM

Sorry to hear about your bike.

I don't have a Versys yet, but all of these guys and gals that do keep me entertained in my spare time. I'd stick around.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 12:20 PM

Garage
Going to buy that scorpio alarm soon price is like $120 off right now

post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 01:27 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Where in The World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Apple View Post
Going to buy that scorpio alarm soon price is like $120 off right now
A link would be good!
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 11:07 PM

Garage
Revzilla to price match the main unit from the manufacturer, and add on accessory is $10 off. Bought my complete set including tax for $299.56. https://ridescorpio.com/srx900/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-03-17.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	16.0 KB
ID:	162593  
onewizard likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode