You don't know nothing about fast! - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-04-2012, 05:59 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
You don't know nothing about fast!

And you will never in your life see this much speed in one place again!

Lets see what is that? About WARP 4?

Or was that look THEN leap?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 650 Versys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-04-2012, 07:03 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Not bad for a bunch of guys w/ crewcuts & slide rules
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-04-2012, 10:29 PM

Last time I saw one of those was in Okinawa.

Beamed from my Gnex
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-04-2012, 10:29 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
SR-71 Blackbird is good for about MACH 3.3 (not WARP)... Warp speeds may soon be possible, as a matter of fact.

http://www.space.com/17628-warp-driv...aceflight.html
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-05-2012, 12:45 AM

Saw a B-1 take off once... NOISY! Bet the Blackbird was, too...
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-05-2012, 08:09 AM

Amazing when you think these were probably on the drawing boards in the late 50s...compared to the technology involved in cars in those years...
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-05-2012, 08:20 AM
MTS

Pretty cool old school! Rumor is area 51 has a small cylinder with tiny wings, that is so fast you cann't see it. Some people claim to have got photos of it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-05-2012, 08:32 AM

Many rumors with area 51, and I think some took pictures of Elvis on an island last week hehe
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-05-2012, 08:36 AM

Fun fact- The SR-71 operates at such extreme temperatures that the tiles forming its bottom are not fully sealed to allow for expansion until airborne under heat. The fuel pours out during takeoff and it must be refueled soon after. Nuts! (And yes I know its fuel has a low flash point, but that wouldn't make me feel any better sitting in it on the runway... [but I would TOTALLY do that if I got the chance])

post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-05-2012, 08:46 AM

What a cool looking jet even by today's standards...can only wonder what kind of prototypes they are working on now with todays knowledge and available manufacturing technologies...
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-05-2012, 10:39 AM

The Blackbird and the P-38 have always been among my favorite planes. I must have a thing for engine nacelles.

And speaking of warp factor 4, the starship Enterprise (along with many other Federation designs) is twin nacelle... Coincidence?

Jon
'09 Versys in Blue
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-05-2012, 01:31 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
When I was flying for Air Canada, I was airborne near Toronto at a time that an SR-71 that had been there on static display during the CNE (Canadian National Exhibition) Airshow, had just got airborne and called in to our Ops center with his departure time so they'd send a message to his base for his arrival there.

The operations radio guy called back to the SR..."What's your ETA?"

There was a few seconds pause, then the SR guy came back..."Soon!"

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-05-2012, 04:24 PM Thread Starter

I'm going back down to Dayton tomorrow to have a look at the XB-70 and of course the rest of the planes there. It's at least a 6 hour gawk for me every time I go! Thanks for the heads up, I thought it was in Washington. And not in "The Back Room" at Wright-Pat ON the base.

The more I read about the XB-70 to more I am impressed with it. Mach 3+, 77.000 foot over 500,000 pounds on take off it was a beast. Shame that Gary Power's U-2 was shot down as that's what killed the XB-70 (if I read right) as the thoughts shifted to low level bombed and ICBMs after his downing.

2012 650 Versys
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-05-2012, 05:14 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time View Post
I'm going back down to Dayton tomorrow to have a look at the XB-70 and of course the rest of the planes there.
I have a signed picture of Joe Walker who, in his F-104, crashed into one of the XB-70s killing him and the co-pilot of the Valkyrie. That happened less than a month before my birth.

To some extent, the USA learned the lessons about brute-forcing aviation and went for a more subtle approach (if you can call it that). Now we have no more SR-71s, but at least we didn't waste a bunch of money ferrying people supersonically across the Atlantic.

When it comes to havoc, no one wreaks like me! - Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz

I will never be good and that's not bad. - Ban-Anon
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-05-2012, 05:30 PM Thread Starter

I knew what happen but not the pilots name. Sad so many have died getting us where we are.

The B-2 shows that speed is not always the answer...hard to shoot down what you just can't see BUT don't even know is there.

2012 650 Versys
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-11-2012, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawa007 View Post

What a cool looking jet even by today's standards...can only wonder what kind of prototypes they are working on now with todays knowledge and available manufacturing technologies...
Google X37B. No more pilots. Drones and sattelittes are better.
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-11-2012, 10:58 PM

Design-wise, that X37B has nothing on the Blackbird And when I say I wonder what kind of prototypes they are working on, I mean as in on the drawing board, not actually in service yet (we usually find out what they were working on 10-15-20 years later). Drones are certainly there to stay for obvious reasons, but what I'm curious about is new propulsion systems, new materials, new possibilities that couldnt have even been dreamed of 10 years ago. And regardless of what the future holds, projects like the Blackbird will always remain an amazing achievement.

The blackbird was introduced in 1966. So it was on the drawing board most likely in the mid 50s...

Looking at the technology involved in cars from the mid 50s it puts things back into perspective of how much of a technological feat the SR-71 really was for it's time Looking at the car and then the Blackbird, you'd think 40 years had gone by between the 2.

Last edited by Kawa007; 10-11-2012 at 11:01 PM.
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-12-2012, 05:56 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawa007 View Post
The blackbird was introduced in 1966. So it was on the drawing board most likely in the mid 50s...
I think that the SR-71 was developed in response to the U-2 loss in 1960. Perhaps the vehicle image you were looking for is from a 1960 Ford...

Either way, the rapid advances in aerospace technology is amazing. We are only beginning to fly predominantly non-metallic aircraft around the world with just two engines.

I wonder what will be next - maybe motorcycles with fuel injection! (oh wait, that already happened as well)

When it comes to havoc, no one wreaks like me! - Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz

I will never be good and that's not bad. - Ban-Anon
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-12-2012, 06:48 PM Thread Starter

Well lets see. The P-38, first American Fighter to fly faster than 400 MPH in level flight, and racked up 75% of kill in the Pacific for the AAC. The P-80 ShootingStar, first operational America jet fighter. U-2 still in service, the SR-71 out of service due to cost (they say), The C-130 THE HERKY BIRD! And a heck of a lot more.

All from the Skunk Works and ALL from Kelly Johnson.

You should read about him some time. Not a easy man to work for IF you didn't give 110% a 110% of the time.

2012 650 Versys
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-12-2012, 07:08 PM

Send a message via MSN to HumbleRider
I was at Edwards AFB for the annual airshow about 10 years ago and they had an operational Blackbird that NASA used as a research test platform. They had a bunch of very cool aircraft there that day on static display. Including some, like the F22, that the public wasn't allowed anywhere near.

Sent from my iPad using MO Free

Dennis Hartman
Crosby, TX

2009 Kawasaki Versys (Blue)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode