Euthanize your own pet - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-22-2012, 05:30 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Euthanize your own pet

Anyone ever euthanize your own pet (cat or dog)?
How did you do it and what did you do with the body?
I ask because we have a cat that is nearing that time, she has been a fantastic pet and at times a great companion for over 15 years but she has been sick for a few years and we have controlled it with medication, it's finally getting the best of her and I'm having a hard time seeing her the way she is now. I don't think she's in pain but she has all but stopped eating and she is tortured, she just crys and all she want to do is run away. She's not the same cat she used to be.
I've decided that it's time but I'm waiting for my wife to come to the same conclusion.
She's never been a fan of traveling or going to the vet, I'm thinking a .22 to the head while at her home would make her last few minutes with us less traumatic than loading her in a crate and taking her to the vet.
Anyone's thoughts or experiences doing this for their own pet?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-22-2012, 07:17 PM

Garage
There is no way I could put my dog down, even if I knew it was for the best.

We took our last dog to the vet when it was clear that she was in to much pain to enjoy life anymore. That drive was hard enough to do for me.

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-22-2012, 07:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWKSHOT99 View Post
There is no way I could put my dog down, even if I knew it was for the best.

We took our last dog to the vet when it was clear that she was in to much pain to enjoy life anymore. That drive was hard enough to do for me.
I know. I had someone tell me one time that you arent a true dog owner unless you can euthanize your own dog. I don't buy that. I'm not sure I could put my dog down myself either. If I had to I could I guess. I was holding my last dog on my lap petting him when the vet euthanized him, that was bad enough but I felt I owed it to him to be with him to the end, and I was right.
I've grown attached to this cat over the years but it's just not the same attachment you can have with a dog. I had that dog put down 5 years ago and we've replaced him, and I still miss him. I don't think that will be the case with the cat. I honestly think I would give my own life to protect my present dog, I know that wouldn't be the case with the cat. I do care enough that I hate seeing her in this condition but there was never a time I would sacrifice myself for her, not even close.
To you cat people out there, I understand your strong cat feelings, I just don't share them so much.
Anyway, tomorrow is probably the day, I got the go ahead from my wife (and she's out of town for the week so I've got to handle this alone), so the cat and I will enjoy each others company as much as she can and she will drink as much cat milk as she can handle, because its the only thing she still likes.
I'll figure out the best, fastest, fool proofest way I can do this.

On a lighter note, I know I won't be doing it the way a former coworker of mine did. He tried to gas his beloved cat (that cat was like his child) by putting it in a box with the car exhaust running into it. He said the cat yelled to get out of the box for 45 minutes and then got quiet. He opened the box and lifted what he thought was a dead cat out of the box only to find out that he had given the cat brain damage. My coworker lost his nerve and let the cat live for another year with brain damage. The cat couldn't even walk, it just pushed itself along on its side, it couldnt eat right and needed to be fed with a straw, it would crap and piss on itself. My coworker felt so bad that he couldn't even take it to the vet to put down after that. It was a real psycological event for him, neither him nor the cat were the same after that.

Last edited by ray h; 09-22-2012 at 08:06 PM.
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-22-2012, 08:02 PM

I'm a cat guy and we had to euthanize two of our beloved critters. Both were just old and visibly not happy with life, like you described. I don't know if I could have brought myself to shoot my family friend in the head. If it was the only option, maybe. Just please make sure you do it right.

Cat people vs dog people... whatever. At the end of the day, either one has a special animal that they love.

2012 Kawasaki Versys 650 - 20,500 miles
2000 Volvo V70XC 2.4T - 258,000 miles
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-22-2012, 08:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sykes View Post
I'm a cat guy and we had to euthanize two of our beloved critters. Both were just old and visibly not happy with life, like you described. I don't know if I could have brought myself to shoot my family friend in the head. If it was the only option, maybe. Just please make sure you do it right.

Cat people vs dog people... whatever. At the end of the day, either one has a special animal that they love.
I was never a cat person. This is actually my first cat ever. We got her as a very tiny kitten to keep our dog company, so the dog and cat grew up together. I never thought cats cared about anything or anyone until we had to put the dog down. The cat missed the dog so much that we almost lost her as well, she wouldn't eat or drink and got very dispondent for almost a month. The thing that I will always remember about her though, We went about 2 years before getting another dog and when we did we got a dog that was roughly the same size, color and build as the one we put down. The very first time we brought the new dog home the cat ran out the door to greet what she thought was her old friend, only to be surprised that this was a different dog. I was very impressed that after two years, this cat was so excited that her old friend had come back. I haven't thought of cats the same way since.
Like I said, I understand why cat people feel the way they do.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-22-2012, 08:27 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
I accidentally euthanized a neighborhood cat with my Versys last year. The Versys' long travel suspension helped make this a less traumatic event than it would have otherwise been.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-23-2012, 12:34 AM

Ray,

Bite the bullet and take your cat to the Vet. You can chose to stay in when the deed is done or say your goodbyes and head home. Please, don't let your last memory of your cat be you shooting it or worse wounding it. The Vet is humane and sterile and your cat will simply slip off into a deep sleep.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-23-2012, 12:45 AM

Might I recommend the idea of having a vet (or vet assistant or student) come to your home and administering the injection. Most time they will do this for free or for a very small fee. Much less stress on the animal and you. And the last moments of the cat's life will be at home.

I am a cat person. I have a 15 year old who has been with me all her life. Cats know when it "is their time" and will usually go off alone to die. When she passes she will be placed in a special wooden box, sealed tight and buried in my wife's family cemetery several hours away where her family's pets have been buried. If, for some reason we can't make that long trip at that time, she will be cremated and buried when we can make the trip.

Extreme for some, I know. But our cats are the only kids we have.

"Nothing bugs a handyman more than a stripper that works too slow" ~ Red Green

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-23-2012, 02:01 AM

Take your pet to the vet. They will also handle the body and dispose of it.

No "home euthanization" is humane...in any way...unless you're a vet with access to the chemical.

just FYI..if you decide to bury the animal, put it in a black plastic bag before putting it in a box. The chemical thats used to euthanize will poison the earth/water if you dont.

Last edited by AFK9; 09-23-2012 at 02:03 AM.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-23-2012, 02:38 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I'm not a pet person at all for the record... My friend just let his cat die of old age on its own.

Would drowning your own cat be legal? You could simply dunk the cage under water, like my father did to skunks.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-23-2012, 03:47 AM

Our cats have always been outside cats so they just go away when it's their time.

But I see no reason why a bullet to the head isn't humane. It's instant if you don't miss, so don't miss. It isn't as pretty as a polished little needle, but it's quick and effective. And at least for most animals,excluding the ones that like vet if they do indeed actually exist, I think it is much less stressful for them. maybe not for you, though.

I had not heard of vets coming to your home though, MntVersys. i like that idea.

Hm. my grandpa does that same thing to squirrels, invader.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-23-2012, 08:12 AM

I'm fortunate enough to have a vet that makes house calls
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-23-2012, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
Would drowning your own cat be legal? You could simply dunk the cage under water, like my father did to skunks.
Not sure if that's a joke or what... but not cool.

And ray, I know what you mean with the animals knowing about each other. We had 2 cats once that did not like each other at all in the slightest. They stayed away from each other and even fought a little. But when we had one of them euthanized, the other started acting quite differently. Even though they had not really been "friends", they are certainly aware of the presence of others and can feel some sort of emotion concerning the loss of another animal.

2012 Kawasaki Versys 650 - 20,500 miles
2000 Volvo V70XC 2.4T - 258,000 miles
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-23-2012, 10:14 AM

Yeah, I had to do it, and it was just about the hardest thing I ever had to do, possibly the worse. I had a beloved black lab for 15 years. He wasn't to bright, I had nicknamed him "Bonehead", but a great dog none-the-less. He lost control of his #2s towards the end and I decided to permanently keep him outside with shelter 'cause it was driving me crazy needing to clean up in the house every day. I would be awakened at night because he would have hind quarter spasms that were traumatic and noisy. All winter long, we had an abundance of flies in the house, I thought it strange and didn't know why, but after I decided to chain him outside when Spring came, I realized why we had so many flies. Since the weather got warmer, the maggots in his head started multiplying at a fast rate. Yup, you read right. He was relatively fine one day, the next worms all over his head. I got hydrogen peroxide and shampoo to wash off the worms, tried for for a couple of hours, but they just kept coming to the surface, he had 'em in his head big time. I called around to all the vets, they all wanted me to bring him in for an exam before euthanizing. I told them the situation and they all said it was policy (to take advantage of the situation) and charge me between $375 and $450 just to put him down. I finally found a vet that was willing to come to my house to do it, he would charge me $325, though he wouldn't come for two days. The poor dog was going downhill really fast and wouldn't make it for 2 more days. I then at that point decided to put him down myself. I just couldn't stand to see him suffer any more than he had already. A .22 to the spinal column and I was a mess for a couple of days; I'd never shot anything before except one rabid coon. I have a backhoe, so making a 6 foot hole wasn't a problem. It's been a year and a half since and I still think about it as a negative experience.

Life without GOD is like an unsharpened pencil...........
It has NO point
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-23-2012, 10:42 AM

My two cents:
The Vet is the right answer. It's just the humane answer to a very difficult question. Don't take her in a crate. Hold her while the wife drives the car... or take her in a crate but stop five or six blocks from the vet office and carry her in your arms the remaining way - giving your time to say your goodbyes.

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-23-2012, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sykes View Post
Not sure if that's a joke or what... but not cool.
A gun shot to the head is quick and painless, but not everyone may have access to that option, even though guns are more popular in USA... Pet owners do spend hundreds for their beloved pets which are practically family members, so it's all up to you in the end.
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-23-2012, 02:25 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
When I had a farm, I helped out neighbors to "euthanize" a pet for them knowing that when/if I needed the same, they'd help me out. It's better IMHO to have someone else do yours, and you do theirs.

IF I could, I'd help you out.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-24-2012, 03:24 PM Thread Starter

Well, its a done deal.
I posted this thread about doing it myself because I wasn't sure where my moral compass was pointed, I was also not sure of the legalities of it.
I got mixed reactions to it here, which is fine, I appreciate and respect everyone's input. In the end, I took her to the vet, mainly to make it easier on ME. It was never about the money, I would hate to add up how much we have paid for medication and vet visits over the years. I was surprised at a $75 bill to put a cat down and dispose of the body.
We had a good morning together. The trip to and from the vet was hard but now that it's done and I've been packing away cat toys, scratching posts and litter boxes and remembering the ups and downs of last 16 years with her, I know It was the right thing.
I think the hardest thing to think about is all the different things my wife and I have been through, and all the changes in our lives the last 16 years. The one thing that has remained a constant throughout that time was (Dash) the cat.

Last edited by ray h; 09-24-2012 at 03:27 PM.
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-24-2012, 03:42 PM

Sorry for your loss. You acted humanely. There are four 4-leggers in my family now and I've always had at least one...know what you are feeling.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-24-2012, 07:54 PM

"Dash"

Excellent name!

Peace be with you...

"Nothing bugs a handyman more than a stripper that works too slow" ~ Red Green

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode