So I jumped Ship, sorta.. - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

 15Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-18-2018, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
ronheater70's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 756
So I jumped Ship, sorta..

A few months ago I posted about looking at an FJR, well In November they finally were willing to deal and i picked it up. It's fun, powerful and smooth.. BUT, it's not really any more enjoyable in the 50-60 mph range than my V was. Where it shines is hitting the interstate or mountains for hours at a time.. But on daily commutes I can feel the extra weight when simply going from light to light. All said I'm very pleased with it.. loads of torque. I may find another v sometime in the near future, i didn't expect to trade mine off, but I did. Yea theres some regrets there with that decision, but Im happy with the FJR, for now!

I haven't used my photo bucket account for some time since they started charging , so I'm not sure how to post pics now..
turn8a likes this.

Last edited by ronheater70; 02-18-2018 at 02:44 PM.
ronheater70 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-18-2018, 03:47 PM
Member
 
weljo2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Norwalk CA
Posts: 15,469
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronheater70 View Post
A few months ago I posted about looking at an FJR, well In November they finally were willing to deal and i picked it up. It's fun, powerful and smooth.. BUT, it's not really any more enjoyable in the 50-60 mph range than my V was. Where it shines is hitting the interstate or mountains for hours at a time.. But on daily commutes I can feel the extra weight when simply going from light to light. All said I'm very pleased with it.. loads of torque. I may find another v sometime in the near future, i didn't expect to trade mine off, but I did. Yea theres some regrets there with that decision, but Im happy with the FJR, for now!

I haven't used my photo bucket account for some time since they started charging , so I'm not sure how to post pics now..

Liked my FJR even though it wasn't comfortable for me....Riding 2-up in stop and go traffic will wear you out...

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Video Channel
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Photos...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
weljo2001 is offline  
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-18-2018, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
ronheater70's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 756
Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Liked my FJR even though it wasn't comfortable for me....Riding 2-up in stop and go traffic will wear you out...
Yea It's about perfect for me and my height, but I could imagine someone your height having fitment issues in the hip / leg area. One of my largest complaints with the V was the lack of power, and now with nearly 100 HP more than the V, I get that power isn't everything, well I knew that anyway. I'm pretty sure Ill have another V, or like minded bike back in the stable in a year or two.. It's just about the perfect ride it and forget about it bike.
ronheater70 is offline  
post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-18-2018, 08:02 PM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Kitchener Ontario
Posts: 6,448
Versys Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronheater70 View Post
A few months ago I posted about looking at an FJR, well In November they finally were willing to deal and i picked it up. It's fun, powerful and smooth.. BUT, it's not really any more enjoyable in the 50-60 mph range than my V was. Where it shines is hitting the interstate or mountains for hours at a time.. But on daily commutes I can feel the extra weight when simply going from light to light. All said I'm very pleased with it.. loads of torque. I may find another v sometime in the near future, i didn't expect to trade mine off, but I did. Yea theres some regrets there with that decision, but Im happy with the FJR, for now!

I haven't used my photo bucket account for some time since they started charging , so I'm not sure how to post pics now..
You have 1000 photos available on this site, 60 per album. I included a link that I use for new members, in there it shows step by step to post photos. To find your album, use user CP and click on Pictures and albums.

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ber-intro.html
onewizard is offline  
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-18-2018, 09:45 PM
Super Moderator
 
Fastoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Ipoh.Perak.Malaysia
Posts: 6,624
Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
You have 1000 photos available on this site, 60 per album. I included a link that I use for new members, in there it shows step by step to post photos. To find your album, use user CP and click on Pictures and albums.

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ber-intro.html
Fastoman is offline  
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-19-2018, 06:43 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
ronheater70's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 756
Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
You have 1000 photos available on this site, 60 per album. I included a link that I use for new members, in there it shows step by step to post photos. To find your album, use user CP and click on Pictures and albums.

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ber-intro.html
O.k, Lets try this!



Hey it works! Well I learned something today! Thanks for the tip!
onewizard and mrvwbug like this.
ronheater70 is offline  
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-19-2018, 10:34 AM
Super Moderator
 
fasteddiecopeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Kelowna, BC - summer; Florence, AZ - winter
Posts: 17,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronheater70 View Post
...Hey it works! Well I learned something today! Thanks for the tip!
You can ALSO attach pics from your desktop (as long as the files are small - I use 650 x 488 pixels), by using the "Drag and Drop File Upload" line, just below the message you post, where it says "DRAG FILES HERE TO ATTACH!" (See below....)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P7202533.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	399.3 KB
ID:	146042  

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 02-19-2018 at 10:37 AM.
fasteddiecopeman is offline  
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-19-2018, 11:46 AM
Member
 
mrvwbug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Cheyenne, WY
Posts: 348
If you're looking for a picture hosting site like Photobucket, but free try imgur, it is completely free and very easy to use.

I've also looked at an FJR myself, comfortable, and seriously fast, but the weight makes itself known every time you stop. I've also been considering the Tracer 900GT that is coming out later this year, seems like it will be a nice mixture of more power and amenities than a Versys, while maintaining the light, flickable handling that makes the Versys a joy on a twisty road. I've also looked at FJ-09s but with the new Tracer GT coming I would be more inclined to wait for that since it comes with cruise control, heated grips, better electronics and suspension and looks better.

Last edited by mrvwbug; 02-19-2018 at 11:49 AM.
mrvwbug is offline  
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-19-2018, 07:34 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
You can ALSO attach pics from your desktop (as long as the files are small - I use 650 x 488 pixels), by using the "Drag and Drop File Upload" line, just below the message you post, where it says "DRAG FILES HERE TO ATTACH!" (See below....)
+1 for the simple and easy FastEddie method.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	M:C Posse @River Bottom Bar.JPG
Views:	46
Size:	113.9 KB
ID:	146058  

Forty years away from 2 wheel fun. Sure is great to be back smelling the roses!!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
cjcintucson is offline  
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-19-2018, 08:20 PM
Member
 
Rob9876's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 327
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvwbug View Post
I've also looked at an FJR myself, comfortable, and seriously fast, but the weight makes itself known every time you stop. I've also been considering the Tracer 900GT that is coming out later this year, seems like it will be a nice mixture of more power and amenities than a Versys, while maintaining the light, flickable handling that makes the Versys a joy on a twisty road. I've also looked at FJ-09s but with the new Tracer GT coming I would be more inclined to wait for that since it comes with cruise control, heated grips, better electronics and suspension and looks better.
I bought a Concours last June and I've been loving it. Not as flickable as the Versys, but very planted and controlled on the interstate -- and some nice creature comforts. And while I know some people love doing chain maintenance and all maintenance, I have to say I love not having a chain to lube (it's shaft drive). For a while there I was getting caught in the rain a lot when riding the Versys, and sometimes lubing 2 or more times a week. Sure, it's not torture, but it is definitely nice not to worry about that.

2015 Concours 14 ABS, 2014 Versys 650 ABS, 2006 Vulcan 500 (sold)
Rob9876 is offline  
post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-19-2018, 09:27 PM
Member
 
hawkerjet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Fresno aka Shake & Bake California
Posts: 929
I had a beautiful 2012 Kawasaki Concours 14. Just like the fJ it is a great open road bike for going long distances. But it was heavy. I could barely push it up the driveway into the garage.

And it was a real tire eater and would guzzle the petrol if you got heavy handed on the throttle.

In an ideal world a boy should own around 6 to 8 bikes to scratch all his itches....but as a senior on minimum income my V-650 is inexpensively able to scratch most of my motorbike itches quite well.

Good luck with your new ride.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1028.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	146066   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1238.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	109.1 KB
ID:	146074   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1544.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	146082  
mrvwbug likes this.

Cookin Wid Gas

2015 V-650 of course it's green...it's a Kazawalski.
hawkerjet is online now  
post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 12:35 AM
Member
 
Beezerboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Alaska
Posts: 251
Garage
I had a Coucours. had to get rid of it because if you listen to it & drive it how it wants, you are seriously breaking the law. traded it straight up for a GS1150, ran that a few years but it got too heavy, etc... thats how I got the Versys. I miss the liter power, but the trade offs make it a good decision for me
hawkerjet likes this.

if I'm answering your question I assume the basic points have been addressed, such as: did you do a compression test? is it still on fire?
Beezerboy is offline  
post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 06:28 AM
Member
 
twowheeladdict's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 4,201
Garage
I toured 24 states on my '12 concours. It was smooth and fast, but it felt heavier than my Harley touring bike with the tall seat height and higher CG. The lack of cruise control to help control my speeding is why I finally traded it off.

The triumph trophy SE replaced it and was a better touring bike as well as more nimble in the curves, but the lack of triumph support in my area and the incredible wind protection that made it a winter only bike meant it didn't last long in my stable. I did manage to tour 17 states and South central Canada (great lakes area) on it though.

Kawasaki needs to step up and add cruise control to all the bikes they label touring or light touring.
mrvwbug likes this.

My Versys Travels:


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
twowheeladdict is offline  
post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 06:48 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
ronheater70's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 756
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
I toured 24 states on my '12 concours. It was smooth and fast, but it felt heavier than my Harley touring bike with the tall seat height and higher CG. The lack of cruise control to help control my speeding is why I finally traded it off.

The triumph trophy SE replaced it and was a better touring bike as well as more nimble in the curves, but the lack of triumph support in my area and the incredible wind protection that made it a winter only bike meant it didn't last long in my stable. I did manage to tour 17 states and South central Canada (great lakes area) on it though.

Kawasaki needs to step up and add cruise control to all the bikes they label touring or light touring.
Yea, I took my Versys on a multi day trip with some friends from Church. Couple Big Beemer Tourers with all the bells and whistles and a Harley thrown in there.
It was a great trip and made me realize that I wanted to change my riding direction a Bit. I usually like out of the way country roads and decided I wanted to get into a little distance touring. Didnt want a cruiser and still wanted to handle pretty decent. When we were on our ride we ran into a group of FJR riders, I think there was 6-8 of them. Thats what pushed me towards the FJR. As was Mentioned above, I need to be careful because it is easy to get going fast and not really notice it.
I know the first month of Ownership I absolutely HATED my Versys and thought I made the Biggest mistake in my life by buying it. By the end, I was really in love with most everything about the bike. I will have another one, It just a nice all around bike that does a lot of things well.
mrvwbug likes this.
ronheater70 is offline  
post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 09:47 AM
Member
 
Rob9876's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 327
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezerboy View Post
I had a Coucours. had to get rid of it because if you listen to it & drive it how it wants, you are seriously breaking the law.
Yes, it is so easy to get going really fast without even realizing it. A cruise control would be a help with that.

2015 Concours 14 ABS, 2014 Versys 650 ABS, 2006 Vulcan 500 (sold)
Rob9876 is offline  
post #16 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 11:44 AM
Super Moderator
 
fasteddiecopeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Kelowna, BC - summer; Florence, AZ - winter
Posts: 17,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjcintucson View Post
+1 for the simple and easy FastEddie method.
Chuck - thanks a LOT for inviting me to meet you guys at RiverBottom.... (NOT)!


Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
fasteddiecopeman is offline  
post #17 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 01:17 PM
Member
 
kballowe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Near St. Louis
Posts: 918
I'm still looking for an addition......

Miss the handling on my FZ-1, but like the wind management better on the Versys.

Had 4 FJRs. My knees don't like the peg position anymore
kballowe is offline  
post #18 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 01:25 PM
Member
 
weljo2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Norwalk CA
Posts: 15,469
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kballowe View Post
I'm still looking for an addition......

Miss the handling on my FZ-1, but like the wind management better on the Versys.

Had 4 FJRs. My knees don't like the peg position anymore


2007 FZ1 Black/Raven $4500 - TWT Forums

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Video Channel
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Photos...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
weljo2001 is offline  
post #19 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 02:01 PM
Member
 
mrvwbug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Cheyenne, WY
Posts: 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkerjet View Post
I had a beautiful 2012 Kawasaki Concours 14. Just like the fJ it is a great open road bike for going long distances. But it was heavy. I could barely push it up the driveway into the garage.

And it was a real tire eater and would guzzle the petrol if you got heavy handed on the throttle.

In an ideal world a boy should own around 6 to 8 bikes to scratch all his itches....but as a senior on minimum income my V-650 is inexpensively able to scratch most of my motorbike itches quite well.

Good luck with your new ride.
I absolutely love the color on that C14, if I could find a good used C14 in that color I might just jump on it.

At least with the V650, it isn't fast enough to get into too much trouble with, it takes a fair bit of throttle just to maintain 80mph. I absolutely love my V650 in the canyons, I discovered this Sunday that an FZ-07 can't keep up with it in the twisties and I was keeping up with a FZ-09 and Duc 1098 through the tighter sections.

Would love to have the FZ-07 motor in a Versys though, much smoother and sounds amazing. Kawi really needs to look into converting their 650 twin to a 270 degree crank.

Last edited by mrvwbug; 02-20-2018 at 02:04 PM.
mrvwbug is offline  
post #20 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 02:23 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
ronheater70's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 756
Quote:
Originally Posted by kballowe View Post
I'm still looking for an addition......

Miss the handling on my FZ-1, but like the wind management better on the Versys.

Had 4 FJRs. My knees don't like the peg position anymore
The BMW 1200RT is a nice compromise bike..SPorty, good touring capability, excellent egos..Personally I'm scared of BMW, however I ride with 3 folks that have them, and between them I think they have probably 400K on them or so..
ronheater70 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome