Help me pick a helmet color - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

View Poll Results: What color helmet
classic red and black 1 4.17%
hi vis pattern 12 50.00%
white 8 33.33%
flat black 3 12.50%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

6Likes
  • 2 Post By twowheeladdict
  • 1 Post By Doug Just Doug
  • 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman
  • 2 Post By twowheels

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-30-2018, 10:09 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Help me pick a helmet color

Can't seem to decide on a helmet color, and winter is boring with no riding, so help me choose a helmet color.

(Insurance company is buying me a replacement helmet. Make and model is preselected to match damaged helmet.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	flat black.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	144825   Click image for larger version

Name:	hivis.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	144833   Click image for larger version

Name:	clasic.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	144841   Click image for larger version

Name:	white.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	23.1 KB
ID:	144849  

Last edited by twowheels; 01-30-2018 at 10:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-30-2018, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
Can't seem to decide on a helmet color, and winter is boring with no riding, so help me choose a helmet color.

(Insurance company is buying me a replacement helmet. Make and model is preselected to match damaged helmet.)
What color is your bike and riding gear?
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-30-2018, 11:37 PM Thread Starter

Garage
black bike, black and blue jacket

Last edited by twowheels; 01-30-2018 at 11:41 PM.
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-31-2018, 12:34 AM

Hard to choose as none of those colors are acceptable... Bell Star Classic has since been replaced with Star MIPS-Equipped.

https://www.bellhelmets.com/en_ca/star-mips-c

Does it have to be a damn Bell helmet? Choices are too limited with Bell.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-31-2018, 07:08 AM

Garage
I had to choose white based on your jacket and bike combination.

If you ask my wife, I am not one to provide an opinion. I have worn a lime green jacket on a blue bike with a red helmet.
P.E. and CuddyBuddy like this.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-31-2018, 09:59 AM

I would see if the insurance company will write you a check which you can then apply to any brand of helmet. Unless you want to stay with that make/model.

Personally I'd go with the hi-viz, but it won't match your jacket. If you want it to match, looks to me like your only choice is white.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-31-2018, 10:10 AM

I've been wearing white helmets for many years, primarily 'cuz they're less attractive to thieves and cheaper to buy, too (at least with Arai). I mostly wear Aerostich gear so I obviously don't care about making a fashion statement. :^)
CuddyBuddy likes this.

2015 Versys 650 ABS
AMA, MSTA, Retreads

Nat'l Cycle "Sport-Touring" screen; Givi hand guards; BMW Sport Grips; Omni-Cruise throttle lock; Motowerk mirror extenders, side stand foot & highway pegs; Denali Mini Soundbomb horn; SW-Motech top rack, Quick-Lock Evo side racks, wide foot pegs & GPS shelf; Givi E-22 side cases & V-47 top case; RKA 13L Shiloh Road tank bag; Hyper-Lites; Sargent seat; Shoodaben ECU reflash; decalectomy.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-31-2018, 10:59 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly-Sig View Post
I would see if the insurance company will write you a check which you can then apply to any brand of helmet. Unless you want to stay with that make/model.

Personally I'd go with the hi-viz, but it won't match your jacket. If you want it to match, looks to me like your only choice is white.
I like Aria best but they are a bit overpriced IMO. That leaves Bell Star MIPs due to what fits my noggin, I've tried on a lot of helmets, Bell and the long oval models of Aria (Signet/Profile) seem to fit my pumpkin best. Bell don't make the lightest helmets at the price point but do have one of the safest with a rare 5 out of 5 star Sharp rating. Shoei, RHPHA, AGV, and others make great helmets too, they just don't fit or fit as well.

Last edited by twowheels; 01-31-2018 at 11:22 AM.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-31-2018, 11:26 AM

Garage
I always get a silver helmet...goes with everything. But i voted for the hi-viz..

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

Last edited by weljo2001; 01-31-2018 at 02:53 PM.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-31-2018, 11:35 AM

In my opinion the helmet brand you select should depend on three criteria - 1) how well it fits your skull, 2) how much you value your skull (what quality helmet are you willing to buy) and 3) whether you want to be visible rather than stealth. Stealth is great for military aircraft but not so great for motorcyclists.

My bottom line is: before you buy a helmet from anyone, try it on and, if possible, for more than a few moments. A minor "hot spot" can turn into a blistering head ache in pretty short order.

I've had a pile of helmets over the years and, for the most part, all were brightly colored. They included (and include now) Bell, HJC, Shoei, Arai, Simpson, Z1R, AGV, and probably some others I can't recall. And the older I become the more I value my head, so I don't feel going cheap is a very good path to follow.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-31-2018, 11:57 AM

Garage
If Bell helmets fit you best, I'll put in a word for my Bell Revolver modular helmet. Comes in hi-viz and other colors, has a drop down sun shield, and can also easily switch the main shield to a transitions light-sensitive shield -- so when you're riding into a bright summer sun you can double up on the tint and still see well.

2015 Concours 14 ABS, 2014 Versys 650 ABS, 2006 Vulcan 500 (sold)
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-31-2018, 12:08 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly-Sig View Post
...Personally I'd go with the hi-viz, but it won't match your jacket....
I would suggest that the LEAST IMPORTANT criteria for your helmet is that it MATCHES the rest of your gear! You want people (cage drivers...!) to SEE you, so I would recommend the hi-vis, then the white, as they are more visible.

Matching riding gear? I have a jacket that is white and bright orange, that I wear under a hi-vis vest, w/ gloves of several colors for visibility, and a BELL Revolver in hi-vis, over light grey armored pants, and red Gaerne boots.

Several times I've had people come up to say how much they like the fact that I am so visible.

Here's what I wore riding to Alaska, as the weather is so variable.

And here's my "coat-of-many-colors".

DaveC likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 02-01-2018 at 10:48 AM.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-31-2018, 09:52 PM

Out of the choices, I'm a fan of hi-viz and white, and chose hi-viz. I'm a bit biased though...I wear a high-viz helmet and yellow-black jacket (see avatar).

Dave C
2008 Versys (Red)
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-01-2018, 08:10 PM

I dont know what they talkin bout. I ride just to be able to match riding gear. That said, you need a new color jacket to make it easy on us.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-05-2018, 06:22 PM

Garage
Hi-Viz all day!
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-05-2018, 06:51 PM

White has the "might be a cop" feature around here. Folks might be more aware of you and maybe not turn left or try to hit you. . That said I recently saw a big SUV plow into a big stopped yellow school bus with flashing red lights and a strobe on top. Still I always wear my neon Olympia Jackets. Wife says my bright yellow Shoei clashes so I vote white.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-05-2018, 08:23 PM Thread Starter

Garage
In the end my vanity won out and I ordered the blue/red that matched my jacket from FortNine. Did not know it was available when I posted the original poll. My hope is bright blue and red still has some conspicuity for daydreaming drivers.

I've found Bell to have an excellent fit if you have an intermediate to long oval head shape although Shoei, HJC and other brands tend to fit better if you have a rounder head. I like tight fitting helmets that don't move even after they break in and pack down. Your mileage may vary as no one has the exact same head shape. My only wish is Bell would make their shields pin lock ready as standard, like many other manufacturers, rather than making you buy a pin lock compatible shield for extra.

Buffalo_Bob and Arkridia like this.

Last edited by twowheels; 02-05-2018 at 08:57 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode