Ouch - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-03-2012, 03:10 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Ouch

When a wreck happens its usally quick. I wasn't able to recover the footage of the car that made a U-Turn into me. But this video reminds me of it.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-03-2012, 07:38 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
OUCH!!
Are you OK? It hurt me just looking at this video. I guess this is in UK...
For a second I thought you are the rider...ufff

Versys 2015 Green
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-04-2012, 03:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I'm not trying to troll here, but it seems this situation may have been avoided had the rider been focusing on riding instead of his vlogging. Seeing the two semis/lorries early as he states he did, should have focused his attention.

Just my two internet pennies.
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-04-2012, 10:00 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Yeah, too busy talking to his fans... Hitting that truck head on was not his best option. Lack of caution at the 1st sight of the trucks parked on the road. There was still sufficient time to react appropriately when he shouted "Whoah!?"
The truck should not have pulled out like that, but it was clearly able to.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-05-2012, 08:39 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-05-2012, 08:48 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Just proves that cars/truck do not notice bikes.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-06-2012, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi 41 View Post
Just proves that cars/truck do not notice bikes.
Especially over the top of other vehicles.
That rider came through the intersection at exactly the wrong distance from the vehicle in front of him. He shouldv'e been tucked in right on that cars bumper and gone through there in the small safe area right behind the car or better yet, further away from the car so the people in the intersection can see more than the top of his head. Think about what the driver of the truck is thinking and when he is thinking it. As the teal car is aproaching the intersection the truck driver is looking for a break in traffic "I'm going right after this teal car, come on, come on, ok, ok, GO." The decision to pull out was made before the car or the motorcycle got into the intersection. That is the time you need to make yourself the most visable and this rider was almost completely blocked by the car (look the point in the video right before the accident when the rider is looking right over the cars roof, that's the exact time the guy in the truck is looking for an opening). He really needed to step out from behind the car or leave more distance from the car so he could be seen at the critical time BEFORE he gets into the intersection when other drivers are looking for that opening to pull into.

Last edited by ray h; 09-06-2012 at 07:01 AM.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-06-2012, 08:41 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
The first thing that I noticed is that these people seem to be driving on the wrong side of the road.
When ever I've discussed a near miss with my dog he always reminds me that I am the one who is going to be squooshed. So did YOU do everything to be safe. Are YOU be completely focused on the task at hand? Are YOU thinking far enough ahead of your planned path to avoid things that might intersect your riding bliss? I've said this before...always bet on stupid and right of way is not the same as right of weight.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-06-2012, 08:51 AM

x

Last edited by AzItLies; 10-23-2012 at 02:20 PM.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-06-2012, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzItLies View Post
Looks like a very very dangerous intersection.
I know what you are saying but I've got a pet peeve so bare with me.
Intersections are not "dangerous", the people who use them are dangerous.
I would say that intersection is poorly designed so it takes some extra caution and thought to get through it safely.
I've actually got an intersection about two blocks from my house that is very similar (if you looked at it in a mirror). I ride it every morning going to work. I know when I approach it that the vehicle sitting at the stop sign is going to pull out into me so I either slow down until I can make eye contact with the other driver or I tag along with another vehicle going through there.
The rider in this video took it for granted that the van driver saw him, even through another vehicle. The driver of the van made his decision to go at about the 11 second mark when the motorcycle was hidden.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-06-2012, 07:31 PM

I was taught the rules of Right of Way by my teacher in the safety class. Remember ther are bigger than you are and think they have all the Right, so you give Way. May not be Right BUT you'll get to go home that Way.

Works for me.

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-06-2012, 08:20 PM

x

Last edited by AzItLies; 10-23-2012 at 02:19 PM.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-06-2012, 08:26 PM

x

Last edited by AzItLies; 10-23-2012 at 02:19 PM.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-06-2012, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Here's where we differ; the motorcyclist was well behind the teal car driver, about 2.5 car lengths. An appropriate amount.
Without being in that situation I can't say for sure what would be the best thing to do but I agree, we differ
Judging from how I see the video, I would be further back from the car and already slowing, probably covering the brake. OR I would be right on the car's right rear corner to ride in his wake.
Anyways, I think the moral of this story is if you find yourself having to look over a roof or through someones windows to see other traffic, you can hardly expect them to see you. Do whatever it takes to avoid this situation.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-06-2012, 08:53 PM

Quote:
good point in that it begs this question;

was that a stop sign? was that some kind of flashing yellow? what was that?

was someone obviously wrong there and it's not obvious to us (who drive in different circumstances)?

was it "one person at a time" and the biker tried to do two?
I believe it to be a round-about that would be first come, first served. Its like an intersection with all yield signs.
The blue car went through after the other cars, the van stopped for the blue car, the rider tried to get through behind the car and the van didn't see him so started on through the circle.
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-06-2012, 09:13 PM

x

Last edited by AzItLies; 10-23-2012 at 02:18 PM.
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-06-2012, 09:15 PM

x

post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-06-2012, 09:46 PM

Quote:
I'd point out, you are reiterating what you've said before about being closer or farther away. Got it the first time. Saying it again doesn't change anything.

And no one said he "didn't cover the controls" did they? he may very well have, don't think we know do we? What we do know, the white van simply drove right into him. In plain view, in plain sight, he drove right into him.

I apologize for repeating myself, I felt I didn't adequately make the point.
About covering the controls, he may very well have been. I was just stating what I would've done. " I would be further back from the car and already slowing, probably covering the brake".
I'm trying to stay open minded but I think you're starting to make more of what I say than is there so I'm going to let this thread go for now and just read the posts of others.
Carry on
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-06-2012, 10:03 PM

x

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode