One Of Those Just In Case Purchases - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

6Likes
  • 1 Post By weljo2001
  • 1 Post By Urbanengineer
  • 1 Post By Doug Just Doug
  • 2 Post By cjcintucson
  • 1 Post By weljo2001

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-18-2017, 07:26 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
One Of Those Just In Case Purchases

I have AAA Roadside Assistance as well as i keep tools, tire repair kit, compressor and have jumper cables for those times when needed while out on the bike. But I've been looking at those jumper packs for quite some time. I've watched this one guys videos where he test all kinds of them so finally decided to get me one and also one for my little brother in Texas. He works up in MN,Michigan,Wisconsin,Illinois and Canada during the winter tracking oil lines. Sometimes he's out in the middle of nowhere so i would hate for him to be stuck with a dead battery.....................https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

turn8a likes this.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-19-2017, 10:52 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I got the Powerlet Jumper Cables back in 2010 i believe.......Powersport Jumper Cables - Powerlet Products .I've transferred them to any new bike i get. Have come in handy about a half a dozen times so far only once was to jump me. But i wanted something for if I'm out alone and theirs no one around to get a jump from...

IMG_0067 by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-26-2017, 03:51 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Got the Audew Jump Starter in on the 22nd. It comes in a really nice case so i just put it in my Top Case but i like to keep my top case empty so i always have somewhere to put my helmet,jacket and gloves in. So i took out the power pack and put it in a zip-lock bag and slipped it into a space between the top case liner and the top case its fit nice and i don't lose any space. I then took the accessories from the kit and put them in a smaller zip-lock bag and put them in one of the mini-saddle bags i have on the bike. Hopefully i never need to use it but if i do then i'm good to go. This jump starter will also start large vehicles so in case i run across any damsel's in destress

Audew Jump Starter by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-26-2017, 09:40 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Just got me one of those, different company. Couldn't start an old Buick that had a totally dead battery (learned after).

Has helped me start a couple bikes trackside before, and my car once!

Great investment, not looking for someone to save you in a moment of weakness.
weljo2001 likes this.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-27-2017, 12:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I've always carried a flat repair kit, tire pump, jumper cables, tool roll, and a small roadside repair kit (a little duct tape, electrical wire, safety wire, zip ties, fuses, bulbs, etc.) on my bikes. I recently ditched the jumper cables for a lithium jump pack. Like an umbrella, carrying this stuff ensures I never need it. It has saved a few other riders over the years, though. Maybe we're all former Boy Scouts? :^)
weljo2001 likes this.

2015 Versys 650 ABS
AMA, MSTA, Retreads

Nat'l Cycle "Sport-Touring" screen; Givi hand guards; BMW Sport Grips; Omni-Cruise throttle lock; Motowerk mirror extenders, side stand foot & highway pegs; Denali Mini Soundbomb horn; SW-Motech top rack, Quick-Lock Evo side racks, wide foot pegs & GPS shelf; Givi E-22 side cases & V-47 top case; RKA 13L Shiloh Road tank bag; Hyper-Lites; Sargent seat; Shoodaben ECU reflash; decalectomy.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-27-2017, 01:23 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I have one of the lithium ones also, and it already saved me once. Stopped for lunch with a couple other riders, got distracted taking off gear and left my key in the ignition in the "on" position. Old age will do that to you. Came out from lunch with dead battery. Got out the booster, attached, started right up and we were on our way. Also have jump started the neighbors car. When my wife and I were up in the mountains her battery went dead on her Ford Explorer. We called AAA. The guy showed up in a car and said that he was on call. Got out of the car with one of the little packs, started her vehicle, and away he went. I am thinking of getting another to keep in my car. I sometimes put the one I have in car for longer trips, but always afraid I will forget to get it back in the V. And, HAPPY NEW YEAR!!
weljo2001 and Doug Just Doug like this.

Forty years away from 2 wheel fun. Sure is great to be back smelling the roses!!!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-28-2017, 10:32 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
HAPPY NEW YEAR back at you, Chuck.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-28-2017, 02:14 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Just curious but how many CCA? Amp/Hour?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-25-2018, 08:01 PM Thread Starter

Garage
It didn't hold well in that spot in the topcase so put everything back in the case and put it in the topcase.....

Finally got to use the power pack a few times. First time a couple of weeks ago i was out for lunch and my Scala PacTalk chimed the battery was almost dead so i hooked it to the power pack while i was eating and after lunch went on with the rest of my day running errands on the bike and the PacTalk did fine. Today the oldest boy was over and the battery on his GSXR-750 has been dead for some time. He has a SAE pigtail to hook a charger up to so i had tried several times over the last 2 months to charge it but it wasn't getting any juice. I tried to take the seat off to hook the charger up with the clamps directly to the battery but i couldn't get his seat off. He took the seat off today. So i hook up the power pack and it fired right up disconnected the power pack and it kept running so the battery might still be okay. i told him to make sure the pigtail was connectedly properly and we found that the fuse for the pig tail was blown. Replaced the fuse and hook up the charger to see if it will hold a charge...As far as the power pack i'm glad i have it....
quexpress likes this.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-26-2018, 10:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
I have a Red Fuel/Schumacher portable jump starter that Walmart sells for under $40. No problem jump starting my Connie, and also used it to jump start my 4 cylinder Honda Accord. I believe it is rated up to 6 cylinders.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Red-Fuel-...arger/54459184

Edit: shows as not available at Walmart now, so here's the same one on Amazon http://amzn.to/2DP9Ctm

Comes with battery pack, charging cord, clamps, USB/Apple cord, and soft storage bag. The battery pack itself is approximately 3.25" x 5" x1". So, just a little wider than my Samsung Galaxy 5S, not quite as tall, and about twice as thick.

2015 Concours 14 ABS, 2014 Versys 650 ABS, 2006 Vulcan 500 (sold)

Last edited by Rob9876; 01-26-2018 at 10:52 AM.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-26-2018, 11:15 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob9876 View Post
I have a Red Fuel/Schumacher portable jump starter that Walmart sells for under $40. No problem jump starting my Connie, and also used it to jump start my 4 cylinder Honda Accord. I believe it is rated up to 6 cylinders.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Red-Fuel-...arger/54459184

Edit: shows as not available at Walmart now, so here's the same one on Amazon http://amzn.to/2DP9Ctm

Comes with battery pack, charging cord, clamps, USB/Apple cord, and soft storage bag. The battery pack itself is approximately 3.25" x 5" x1". So, just a little wider than my Samsung Galaxy 5S, not quite as tall, and about twice as thick.

The reason i went with the one i did was incase it was needed for larger vehicles and also because of the test on the video in the original post...

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode