Updating a new Windows 7 desktop - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

7Likes
  • 1 Post By onewizard
  • 1 Post By twowheels
  • 1 Post By flip20xx
  • 1 Post By james75
  • 1 Post By KnobbyGuy
  • 1 Post By james75
  • 1 Post By Squishman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-14-2017, 05:43 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Updating a new Windows 7 desktop

I just bought a new computer with Windows 7 Professional installed and it will arrive on Saturday. It comes with a Windows 10 disk that I will not use. But when I set it up, and it goes to Windows update, does anyone know if there are there any tricks to make sure it gets all of the updates successfully installed? I do not want to have the dreaded searching for updates or installing updates that never ends.

Todd
White 2015 650 LT
Apple Valley, Minnesota
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-14-2017, 08:25 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Windows 7

Let me say I have a laptop which has this name Dell on it, apparently Dell shares ownership of this laptop with Microsoft, I just hiy the keys in frustration and swear at it at least once a week, that is when it finally gets done updating. This came with windows 8 which automatically updated to 10, if I had known, I could have reverted to 8 as long as it was done within 30 days of purchase, day 31 and I was screwed. Oh did I mention I have a desktop using windows 7, yup every month I get a notice unsuccessful updating, yes it says not able to update to 10, fortunately for the last year when they offered it for free I kept blocking it, they got really creative in trying to force the update.

So the short answer, hope that there is nothing on that disk with software that you need and have paid for, as I would strongly suspect that there are other programs on there like office or word, and you put that disc in , your next step may be calling Microsoft to revert back.
Squishman likes this.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-14-2017, 01:30 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
As someone who works in IT I would suggest doing the Windows 10 update. With software the latest version is always the best performing and most virus resistant. This is why it is import to make sure your windows updates install as they are released. I would speculate your "new" computer is very old stock if it came with Windows 7 installed as Windows 10 superceeded Windows 7 mid 2015.

If you don't understand something google it and there will always be an answer out there.

Once windows is set up create accounts for each person in the household including yourself and give them "user level" rather than the default "admin level" privileges. Do not use the account with "admin level" privileges except to install software or perform administrative tasks on the computer. User level accounts cannot install anything or change any major settings so you cannot accidentally cause harm to your computer. Link the accounts to hotmail or other microsoft email accounts to get the full features of microsoft authentication. Similar idea to linking a gmail account to your Android phone.
Squishman likes this.

Last edited by twowheels; 12-14-2017 at 01:42 PM.
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-14-2017, 01:52 PM Thread Starter

I've heard that W10 boots up slow. Is that true? It's only me using my computer. Maybe I should not be so against the idea of upgrading to 10. But I did try it once ( or maybe twice) and hated it and was able to revert to W7 within the 31 day period. It has more bells and whistles than I want or need.
If I have trouble with Windows update with W7, then I would probably be inclined to do it. Not totally opposed to it, but I might need convincing.

Todd
White 2015 650 LT
Apple Valley, Minnesota
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-14-2017, 02:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
I've got a Windows 10 laptop from work. To me it boots up quicker than the one I had on Windows 7. Windows 10 does work very much like 7 anyway, so in this case I'd default to the latest version for the previously mentioned security reasons (virus protection, etc). My two cents.
Squishman likes this.

You can't judge a book by its cover, but I know a coloring book when I see one.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-14-2017, 05:28 PM Thread Starter

I found this that might make the switch more palatable: https://www.laptopmag.com/.../make-w...like-windows-7 One thing I am hesitant about is getting the myriad of W7 updates on a machine that has never been updated, is that it is likely to go on forever to the point of having my computer in a never ending cycle of not getting completely updated. I understand that there may be a way to get them, if you start with turning off updating automatically and selectively choose certain updates first in a certain order, then reload recovery media or from a disk (I don't think I will have a 7 disk), then turn "automatic updates" back on. A sequence I am not excited about. This is why I am now actually considering using the W10 upgrade disk and calling it a day.

Todd
White 2015 650 LT
Apple Valley, Minnesota
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-14-2017, 09:05 PM

Garage
I've been in IT for 20+ years. Windows 7 goes end of life in 2020, which means after that time, you'll no longer be able to get updates, which are very important. Plus, if you think about it, Windows 7 is 4 operating systems old. You're better off upgrading to Windows 10 now. Just run the update from the disk, let it do the updates, and don't change the update process from automatic. It should be pretty seamless, but just may take a little time. Once a month it will install the updates in the background and reboot. You can even set when you want it to reboot. With windows 10, they got rid of "service packs" so some of the monthly updates are larger than others, so just be patient. But the updated process on Win 10 is much better than it has been in the past. You'll be fine and glad that you did the update.
Squishman likes this.

I don't care what you ride, just ride.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-14-2017, 09:11 PM Thread Starter

Thanks James, Flip, Twowheels and one wizard. I am feeling better about the upgrade to W10. James, to upgrade, shall I just pop in the disk and follow the prompts, or is there anything I should know first? Oh and should I do that before I even get on the internet with it? Maybe it doesn't matter.

Todd
White 2015 650 LT
Apple Valley, Minnesota
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-15-2017, 07:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
I'm going to play the 'Devil's Advocate' and say "Don't Do It!". Good ole Win7 is hard to beat (maybe the best Windows OS ever). I would wager that it may still outnumber Win10 machines in the US Industry. When re-installing Win7 from scratch, there will be several hundred 'updates' and it will take a good part of the day to get them installed. Go into the Control Panel/Windows Update, and click on 'check for updates' (you have to be connected to the internet). You may have to perform this a few times, but I would give it a try before going to Win10. Use Google Chrome for your browser (along w/ AdBlock Plus) and install a decent Anti-Virus software (the free version of Avast is pretty good).
Obviously, I'm not a fan of Win8/10 and I wouldn't argue its use on a modern platform, but on older hardware and refurbed systems, I'd stick with Win7 until it draws its last breath!
Squishman likes this.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-15-2017, 08:38 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squishman View Post
Thanks James, Flip, Twowheels and one wizard. I am feeling better about the upgrade to W10. James, to upgrade, shall I just pop in the disk and follow the prompts, or is there anything I should know first? Oh and should I do that before I even get on the internet with it? Maybe it doesn't matter.
Connect to the Internet first, then insert the disk and follow the prompts. The install and updates will go much more smoothly if you're already connected to the Internet.
Squishman likes this.

I don't care what you ride, just ride.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-15-2017, 07:30 PM Thread Starter

Hey Knobbyguy. Thanks for your reply. I think what I'll do is try to get W7 updated. If I get that done successfully, then I'll continue with Windows 7 and Bob's your uncle. That is until the day in a couple years when we'll have no choice. I'll have the disk for when I need it. Glad to hear from James and Flip and Two wheels that it isn't so bad for when the time comes. Hopefully later and not this weekend.

Todd
White 2015 650 LT
Apple Valley, Minnesota
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-16-2017, 05:22 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squishman View Post
Hey Knobbyguy. Thanks for your reply. I think what I'll do is try to get W7 updated. If I get that done successfully, then I'll continue with Windows 7 and Bob's your uncle. That is until the day in a couple years when we'll have no choice. I'll have the disk for when I need it. Glad to hear from James and Flip and Two wheels that it isn't so bad for when the time comes. Hopefully later and not this weekend.
Windows 10 update is easy and seamless. You have two choices in the update menu. Fresh install and Update. Choose update and it will carry over all your settings and leave all your data and installed programs alone. If you don't like the windows 10 menu you can set it up to emulate the windows 7 menu so you will not tell the difference using the computer but have the increase in speed and security that comes with windows 10.

Your best choice in Internet browsers is Chrome and Firefox. Internet Explorer, now called Microsoft Edge is a little flaky. I would install them both and see which you prefer.

https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/m...like-windows-7

Last edited by twowheels; 12-16-2017 at 05:31 PM.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-16-2017, 05:26 PM Thread Starter

I got updated just fine. Someone erroneously told me that there were issues updating a computer with W7 that had never been updated. Wrong!
Brockie likes this.

Todd
White 2015 650 LT
Apple Valley, Minnesota
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-17-2017, 08:13 PM Thread Starter

I've been using Firefox and Chrome for years. Mostly Firefox. But now I am switching to Chrome. The new FF search bar is heinous. I know you can get an add on to go back to the old search bar, but still decided to go to Chrome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
Windows 10 update is easy and seamless. You have two choices in the update menu. Fresh install and Update. Choose update and it will carry over all your settings and leave all your data and installed programs alone. If you don't like the windows 10 menu you can set it up to emulate the windows 7 menu so you will not tell the difference using the computer but have the increase in speed and security that comes with windows 10.

Your best choice in Internet browsers is Chrome and Firefox. Internet Explorer, now called Microsoft Edge is a little flaky. I would install them both and see which you prefer.

https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/m...like-windows-7

Todd
White 2015 650 LT
Apple Valley, Minnesota
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode