Crappy Ethanol Gas - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-28-2017, 03:58 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Crappy Ethanol Gas

Well here in Cali our gas is just crap and its worse during winter months. Wanted something to combat the ethanol in our gas so was looking at BelRay All-In-One. But kept coming back to the K100 Treatment so got on Amazon and got a 32oz bottle that the UPS man just dropped off. Will put it in the bike tomorrow or the next day and run some in the GF's car also.......https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

P1020167 by weljo2001, on Flickr
invader and trialsguy like this.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-28-2017, 04:23 PM

I thought gas in all states was 10% ethanol now. It is here in Missouri. There is only one station in my county that you can still get ethanol-free gas at and it's only at one pump at 93 octane. They also charge an arm and a leg for it lol. I only go out of my way to buy it for the lawn equipment. Otherwise, I've never had an issue using the e10 for my vehicles and just use a stabilizer in the versys during the winter since it's not ridden as much. That looks like good stuff.
trialsguy likes this.

2009 Blue Versys
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-28-2017, 04:41 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclopsRider View Post
I thought gas in all states was 10% ethanol now. It is here in Missouri. There is only one station in my county that you can still get ethanol-free gas at and it's only at one pump at 93 octane. They also charge an arm and a leg for it lol. I only go out of my way to buy it for the lawn equipment. Otherwise, I've never had an issue using the e10 for my vehicles and just use a stabilizer in the versys during the winter since it's not ridden as much. That looks like good stuff.

the best we get is 91 octane and during the winter months they use a winter-blend out here also...

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-28-2017, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
the best we get is 91 octane and during the winter months they use a winter-blend out here also...
Winter blend in So Cal? Does summer blend begin to gel when temperatures drop below 70 degrees?

Sorry, the devil made me say that. But I've observed that when the temperature in San Antonio drops below 60 degrees the "been here all my life" folks drag out their ski parkas and wool caps and scarves. It's a sight to behold.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-28-2017, 05:12 PM

I read some of the reviews. Do you really get better gas mileage and improved performance?

60% of the time, it works every time
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-28-2017, 06:06 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurch71 View Post
I read some of the reviews. Do you really get better gas mileage and improved performance?

Will soon find out. Since I've had my bike i get an average of just over 37 MPG riding mostly city and some freeway. When i go up to Angeles Crest Hwy i average over 45 MPG. So after the first tank full I'll post what i get and see if theres any difference.My biggest concern is the damage that can be done to the fuel pump and system. The fuel pump went out on my 09 about 6 months after i bought it. I always ran some Berrymans B-12 through it to keep the system clean but didn't use anything to counter the affects of ethanol.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-28-2017, 06:15 PM Thread Starter

Garage
The stuff is also sold at lawn mower repair shops ........

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 06:22 AM

Garage
My country gas station is all ethanol free gas. We pay more for it but it goes in all the bikes, and farm equipment. They even sell diesel so very convenient for us country folk. The cars get whatever, whenever they need fuel.

When I was travelling on the bikes I would have to get non-ethanol when I could and put in the 10 percent stuff when needed. I would always try and plan to arrive at home on fumes so I could top off with pure gas.

My Versys Travels:

post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 07:45 AM

Here's a similar product that also works, and its cheaper. I've been using this for years. I started using this after one of my buddies used it to perk up his poor running BMW GS bike. The dealer could not fix the GS's poor running issues. Startron resolved the issues. I also use it in my trials motorcycle, chain saw, weed-wacker and lawnmower

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00D3IEIFO...detail_0?psc=1
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 08:03 AM

Gasoline sold in the USA sucks in general compared to some European countries. Of course, it's also way cheaper here. My Gen3 V650 runs noticeably smoother on the corn-free fuel, but it's difficult to find near me. Whenever I'm near a 100% station, I fuel up. Some of you probably know, but this org maintains a list of non-ethanol stations: https://www.pure-gas.org/

2015 Versys 650 ABS
AMA, MSTA, Retreads

Nat'l Cycle "Sport-Touring" screen; Givi hand guards; BMW Sport Grips; Omni-Cruise throttle lock; Motowerk mirror extenders, side stand foot & highway pegs; Denali Mini Soundbomb horn; SW-Motech top rack, Quick-Lock Evo side racks, wide foot pegs & GPS shelf; Givi E-22 side cases & V-47 top case; RKA 13L Shiloh Road tank bag; Hyper-Lites; Sargent seat; Shoodaben ECU reflash; decalectomy.
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 11:09 AM

Years ago I switched from Stabil to Sea Foam for fuel stabilization but discovered it's many other benefits. It combats ethanol effects and also works to keep fuel systems clean and it can also be used in oil as well. There are many success stories on the internet about Seafoam but I was skeptical at first. It combats ethanol effects and also works to keep fuel systems clean and it can also be used in oil as well.

My previous bike, a Vulcan 1600 Classic, had a habit of picking up deposits in the throttle body. Regular usage in the fuel system and that habit disappeared. It also greatly reduced pinging when under load.
When my Vulcan sat for any length of time, one of the hydraulic lifters would stick/collapse. Adding Sea Foam to the oil freed up and silenced the lifter. When I am approaching oil change time, I would add Sea Foam to the oil. The first time I added to the oil, the oil that looked clean, turned dark before I changed the oil. I used it regularly afterwards and will use it in my Versys.
onewizard and Doug Just Doug like this.
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 11:38 AM
Super Moderator

Sea Foam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo_Bob View Post
Years ago I switched from Stabil to Sea Foam for fuel stabilization but discovered it's many other benefits. It combats ethanol effects and also works to keep fuel systems clean and it can also be used in oil as well. There are many success stories on the internet about Seafoam but I was skeptical at first. It combats ethanol effects and also works to keep fuel systems clean and it can also be used in oil as well.

My previous bike, a Vulcan 1600 Classic, had a habit of picking up deposits in the throttle body. Regular usage in the fuel system and that habit disappeared. It also greatly reduced pinging when under load.
When my Vulcan sat for any length of time, one of the hydraulic lifters would stick/collapse. Adding Sea Foam to the oil freed up and silenced the lifter. When I am approaching oil change time, I would add Sea Foam to the oil. The first time I added to the oil, the oil that looked clean, turned dark before I changed the oil. I used it regularly afterwards and will use it in my Versys.
I discovered there are at least 5 different versions of this, one is engine treatment, could you give a link say to amazon.
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

Garage

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 12:08 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Just filled up using the K100 for the first time. My last tank averaged 38.8mpg for city and some freeway riding. Curious to see if the mileage gets better....

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
I discovered there are at least 5 different versions of this, one is engine treatment, could you give a link say to amazon.
The one I use is the Motor Treatment. The website is https://seafoamsales.com/ and has good Q&A

On Amazon- https://smile.amazon.com/Sea-Foam-sf...otor+treatment
onewizard likes this.
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 04:57 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arion View Post
Winter blend in So Cal?...But I've observed that when the temperature in San Antonio drops below 60 degrees the "been here all my life" folks drag out their ski parkas and wool caps and scarves. It's a sight to behold.
When Air Canada bought Boeing 727s (back in '74), we leased time on a Flying Tiger Simulator at LAX (I was an instructor), and we had rooms at a hotel just off Sepulvida Blvd during the winter of '74 - '75. We'd gather near the pool to study, in our swim-suits of course, and we could NEVER get over the Los Angelenos in their ski-jackets and wool caps (it was around 60F!)....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 06:15 PM

Who controls the thermostat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
When Air Canada bought Boeing 727s (back in '74), we leased time on a Flying Tiger Simulator at LAX (I was an instructor), and we had rooms at a hotel just off Sepulvida Blvd during the winter of '74 - '75. We'd gather near the pool to study, in our swim-suits of course, and we could NEVER get over the Los Angelenos in their ski-jackets and wool caps (it was around 60F!)....

When we lived in North Idaho, when the sun finally came out sometime in March. The kids would be waiting for the school bus wearing shorts. Of course there were still piles of snow nearby! When I went to the grocery store today (Roseville, CA) the men were wearing shorts and flip flops, their wives wore jackets and high boots.

Go figure. BTW who controls the thermostat in your house?
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-30-2017, 09:30 AM

Yup, Seafoam is good stuff. I used it on my last two carb'd bikes. I ride all year so they never got winterized, but if I knew they'd be unridden for more than a week or so, I'd add Seafoam. I also added about an ounce per gallon every couple of tank fulls year-round. I put 78K and 65K miles on them and never needed to clean the carbs or deal with bad fuel on either bike.
onewizard and Buffalo_Bob like this.

2015 Versys 650 ABS
AMA, MSTA, Retreads

Nat'l Cycle "Sport-Touring" screen; Givi hand guards; BMW Sport Grips; Omni-Cruise throttle lock; Motowerk mirror extenders, side stand foot & highway pegs; Denali Mini Soundbomb horn; SW-Motech top rack, Quick-Lock Evo side racks, wide foot pegs & GPS shelf; Givi E-22 side cases & V-47 top case; RKA 13L Shiloh Road tank bag; Hyper-Lites; Sargent seat; Shoodaben ECU reflash; decalectomy.
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-30-2017, 01:46 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo_Bob View Post
...BTW who controls the thermostat in your house?
ME, of course...!

(As long as I don't TOUCH it......)

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-01-2017, 02:18 PM Thread Starter

Garage
First Impressions after 70 miles ................
invader and onewizard like this.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode