Help the wife & I go on an epic adventure! - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-02-2012, 02:02 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Help the wife & I go on an epic adventure!

Okay world,

The wife and I are going on a motorcycle vacation! I have been working for the last 7 years and haven't taken a vacation other then weekenders and my honeymoon. We started this crowdfunding thing to help us fund it...http://rkthb.co/9828

No Video

We are renting Vstroms (I know, i know it woulda been better on versys, but sadly no one rents those and riding 2-3 days out and back would have taken up all the time i could get off. Plus the stroms were the cheapest bike anyone had by like $50/day) So anyways, we are renting Vstroms from this really cool guy in Gunnison, Co (http://www.rentmotorcyclescolorado.com/). We will then ride to Mesa Verde, Hovenweep, Natural Bridges, Monument Valley, Navajo national monument, Antelope canyon, the grand canyon, "the wave" in coconino, Bryce Canyon, Arches national park, and then back to Gunnison. A little over 1500 miles total and we have 7 days to do it. Should be about 5 hours in the saddle everyday.

We will be camping the whole time (i assume we might have to stay in at least one crappy hotel, for the misses and to charge our stuff). We are taking red eye flights to save money and plan to eat boil-in-a-bags most of our meals.

There is more information on the donation page but just so you know where we are coming from... the wife is in her 4th year of her Pharmacy doctorate (8 yrs total) and once she graduates, it will be awhile before she can take a vacation. I have been working so that she does not have to and would LOVE for this vacation to be everything it can be.

If you feel like you can donate, then that is great! If not, that is great too, maybe you can help us by spreading the link of our donation site!

1997 KLR 650
2011 Halle-friggin-leuya Versys
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-02-2012, 02:27 PM

Sounds like fun, have a great trip.

Ride To Live, Live To Ride....no, really!
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-02-2012, 03:14 PM

Good luck you two on the donations. On August 16th I leave on my Versys for a two month, 12,000 miles trip all around the USA and Canada. I'm retired but I never thought to ask for financial help from others on this site. Have a safe adventure.

"life is not a dress rehearsal"
post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-02-2012, 03:37 PM Thread Starter

coming from a southern upbringing, its not easy to admit that you (as a husband) need help to do things like this for your wife...

but most people do understand that paying for your wife's doctorate isn't cheap, but eventually it should pay off!

1997 KLR 650

post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-02-2012, 03:47 PM
MTS

I don't have any money to give you. I barely have enough money to have a girl friend. Have a safe and fun trip!

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-02-2012, 05:47 PM

I am shaking my head in disbelief.....

Really?

John in AZ
'08 Versys
'11 Victory Cross Roads

post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-02-2012, 11:00 PM Thread Starter

what is there to be in disbelief about? ... people start crowd sourcing sites for things like garage bands, new businesses, expensive surgeries, and political campaigns.

I figured what the heck? Why not see if I can get some help from my peers who might have a dollar they can throw my way. It's worked so far, as of right now there is $220 solely from my local friends just chipping in a couple bux each.

As with anything, you can vote with your dollar...if you think it is dumb, then don't contribute....no harm no foul

1997 KLR 650

post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-02-2012, 11:14 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Wish you well...at least you are honest and that will take you a long way in life.

post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-03-2012, 08:54 AM

Back in 08 (?) there was a guy from England I think who's wife said he couldn't have a V, but to "show her" he wanted forum members to donate to help him buy one. What left a bad taste in everyone's mouth was the initial "Check out this site" which happened to be him without him admitting it was him.

Again, have a great trip!

Ride To Live, Live To Ride....no, really!
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-03-2012, 08:18 PM

Hey Neal,
If I met you guys in a Pub in Gunnison I'd sure buy you a beer. Can't make it out there this year, so kicked in a couple of Lincoln's on the site.
I was semi-stranded in Gunnison three years ago when the voltage regulator went out on the TDM. They had ordered me a new one at Sun Country but it was 5 days out and I needed to stay fairly close to Gunnison in case the regulator went completely. I had a camp site with power and a Kissan on-board charger. That and riding with the lights unplugged kept me rolling and fortunately, there is a lot of great riding in that area.
Also, quite a few people went out of their way to show a stranded motorcyclist some kindness. I had my bike fully torn down twice on main street, getting to the battery required removing the fuel tank, which required full fairing removal. I like that my Versys battery lives under the seat!
Tall Texan RV Park is a good spot, lots of (you guessed it) Texans escaping the heat. I met the guy renting the VStroms, very nice.
Have a great trip!
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-03-2012, 11:44 PM Thread Starter

thanks baron! we both really appreciate it. We are actually thinking of moving to Eugene when she graduates but have been hesitant because of what people say about jobs their.

by the way, thanks for all the positive outlooks on this guys...i know that its a far stretch to claim this as a online community but I hope that i dont sound too hippy to admit that I do think it is a community.

We have our camera ready and plan on doing specific videos at each site to thank individuals who helped us.

If you guys ever plan to go out west there are a couple guys in denver that rent F800gs's and tiger xc's...both for about $180/day. Which might be totally worth it if you wanna see what that bike might feel like when riding it in mild offroad and twisties. (i know that i will never want a vstrom but it was the least expensive)

please feel free to ask me for a couple bones when you need them, after may 2013 once I am done paying for her doctorate. I will be glad to throw some help your way.

1997 KLR 650

post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-01-2012, 08:59 AM Thread Starter

well we made it!...

Here is our blog telling the story http://lightscameraadventure.blogspo...roduction.html.... i'll give you a couple pix just to get your feet wet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20120820_210737.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	15579   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20120820_211423.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	15580   Click image for larger version

Name:	20120821_062912.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	15581   Click image for larger version

Name:	20120822_115653.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	15582   Click image for larger version

Name:	20120822_172717.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	15583  

Name:	IMGP1299.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	15584   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP1360.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	15585   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP1385.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	15586   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP1446.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	15587   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP1447.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	15588  

Name:	IMGP1464.jpg
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	15589   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP1501.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	15590   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP1518.jpg
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	15591   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP1520.jpg
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	15592   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP1510.jpg
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	15593  

1997 KLR 650

post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-01-2012, 09:10 AM Thread Starter

I did come back with some different opinions about motorcycles though...

Don't worry, I am not a Vstrom fan now...I am however keen on the 19in front wheel, longer wheel base, and more comfortable riding position. I think these things lend themselves well to off pavement riding, which I am starting to do more and more off.

I am going to have to make a compromise and thats just how it is...Do I want the Versys which is:
- spunky
- quick turning
- flickable
- power ready to go

or do I want and adv bike (f800gs or tiger 800, I have ridden both)
- lazy power band (great off road, unimpressive on road)
- longer wheel base encourages bike to stay straight (great offroad, harder to turn on road(decreased turning radius))
- bigger front wheel (wants to stay straighter on any surface, which makes it take more effort to turn)
- more comfortable touring position (better for offroad, doesn't lend itself well to tight cornering)

Make no mistake, the versys is way more fun that almost any bike on the pavement...but I think that I am going to be traveling far distances and going offroad more in the next year or so. I can't have both, so I will have to decide and I can't have anything until the wife graduates from pharmacy school and I dont have to pay for it anymore

1997 KLR 650

post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-01-2012, 01:56 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Nice pic of your "size 9" in a dinosaur footprint!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-03-2012, 05:18 AM

Hopefully your recent ride will bring you and your wife a future of many, happy miles together on two wheels. Cross country travel by motorcycle brings couples even closer. My wife and I are in our sixties and still travel each summer for several weeks. It is a passion we share and feel blessed to still be doing it.
Good luck to you both on you bike decision and her Degree.

"The Road Goes On Forever And The Party Never Ends"
IBA #23562

post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-03-2012, 09:09 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmlmjmjm View Post
I am shaking my head in disbelief.....

Really?
It is a changing world man. We now live in the land of entitlement. We are entitled to take a vacation even though we can't afford it.

Why they didn't just sell something to fund the vacation instead of looking to others to fund the vacation is unfathomable to me.

BAMF, I hope you are that charitable when your wife is making her 6 figure income in a few short years. There are a lot of folks who are going to be needing vacations.

Whatever floats your boat I say, but some folks are too proud to beg to provide a meal for their family and some are not to proud to beg to fund a vacation. Guess it takes all kinds.

My Versys Travels:

post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-03-2012, 10:50 AM

x

Last edited by AzItLies; 10-23-2012 at 02:23 PM.
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-03-2012, 11:14 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzItLies View Post
Gonna be the Contrarian here and say first... I don't think anyone is "begging".

My guess is these people were going on this vacation even if they didn't receive a dime from anyone to help keep the costs down.

We live in a "connected" world. That's resulted in many many changes, one example of that would be the School Bus Monitor that was berated and mistreated by a bunch of school kids that received what? a couple hundred grand in donations?

No, I'm not comparing the two. That's not the point. The point is that in this "connected" world, and paypal being so easy to use, what harm is there in saying "hey if you can throw a few bucks my way for a good cause (for me anyway!), Please Do!" "If not, No Problem!"

No Harm, No Foul...

And no reason to comment negatively either, imho.
It most certainly is begging. Look up the definition. Sorry that the term has a negative connotation for you.

I'm sorry, but asking for money to support a leisure activity is just wrong. What happened to working for what we have and do?

The work ethic in this country is definitely going downhill. Most folks don't trust their bikes to the shop technicians. Can't even get what you ask for in a restaurant the first time. Went to pick up new glasses and they weren't right but the girl tried to send me home and said my eyes would get used to them. After I pushed back they realised they got the pupilary distance wrong.

I remember back in my blue collar days having co-workers who bought two packs of cigs and a 12 pack of beer everyday, but didn't get rental insurance or health insurance. Then ask for handouts when something happened.

Why can't we all be responsible for ourselves?

Glad you had a great vacation BAMF!

My Versys Travels:

post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-03-2012, 11:22 AM

Looks like a good time Neal, glad it worked out for you guys!
As for Eugene, a really nice town with great riding just outside the city limits. As you say, it's a tough job market in Oregon but a pharmacy degree seems pretty marketable and with a bit of perseverance you guys should be able to started out here.
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-03-2012, 01:32 PM Thread Starter

twowheel...if you had looked at that site, and seen that "begging" goal was for $500 you would have quickly realized that that is not enough money to go on a 2000 mile motorcycle trip.

But since you were so quick to judge, lets look at what did happen:
  • My friends and family DID help us raise some funds to HELP us go
  • We camped the entire time
  • ate meals that we cooked on our stove instead of going out to eat
  • we only went to parks and the only attraction that cost money was antelope canyon
  • we saved up for the trip and had enough money to go, regardless of the help we recieved from our community.

and just to drive the nail in, no one begged...you were not cornered in an ally by a homeless person and guilt ridden into giving us money. Only one person from this forum gave money, and this forum was the ONLY place we heard negative things about our idea.

These thoughts are just my opinion, so ignore them if you will... but I think... If you are that against a man supporting his wife while paying for tuition that costs $35k per year, plus rent and bills and still needing a little help.... you might want to come down of your socio-economic high horse and realize that not only am I a hard worker and a "good ol boy" from the south, but that I care a lot about making everything for myself and not having to ask for money, which is why I clearly stated that.

why don't you take some time to reflect and ask yourself if you ever had to put someone else through school while you were 27? Back then was tuition almost 40k per year? Could you have done it? and if so, good for you.

I would like to end this rant to personally invite you to philadelphia, where I can cook you a meal. Maybe teach you to weld, or some carpentry skills. I can install something on your motorcycle. I'd like to show you around the city. Maybe after that, you will see that not everyone that needs money is pathetic, sometimes they are hard working people that just need some help.

and yes, come may of this year twowheel... you can feel free to come to me and ask me for help with whatever adventure you plan out, I will make sure not to criticize you but instead to help you

1997 KLR 650

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode